HP 2760p Q's - Windows 8, clean install, drivers, ram ssd upgrade, more

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by joseph1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. joseph1

joseph1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, I just got a hp 2760p from ebay for only $350 :) . I'm planning to use this for college/university. However I got it with no OS on it. I've done a clean install of windows 7 64bit and downloaded some of the drivers, but I'm still getting errors with the pen, touch, and camera.

What drivers do I download to fix the pen digitizer and touch? I installed the fujitsu t901 drivers only and it worked, but sometimes it would not work (like after the computer went to sleep) and I would have to reboot the computer just to fix it. what drivers do I download

The computer is also not picking up the webcam so what drivers do I download? I've installed both of them. Should I try again?

What RAM and SSD do I purchase? I don't want the crucial ram or ssd because their are least expensive stuff on ebay, but how do I know which one is compatible. Can I use a 4gb ram that is compatible with older elitebook models. Is it any 2.5" ssd? Does it also have to be SATA III

And Finally. Does windows 8 work with this device? Are their issues? can they be fixed?

How long can I expect the battery life to last if I also get an extended battery how much does it weigh?

2. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried checking HP drivers page?
    Drivers, Software & Firmware for HP EliteBook 2760p Tablet PC - HP Support Center

Can't really comment on hardware & battery lif, as i don't own one

But since Win8 drivers are officially available on HP website, I'm quite sure it is supported by HP.
    FWIW my 2740p has no win8 support, and I use drivers of 2760p instead. Works fine:D

A lot of discussion of Win8 7 2760p are made by early adopters, I imagine things works better nowadays.

3. joseph1

joseph1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep my views about the compatibility were skewered from past posts.

Do you also know if there is a program to reprogram a button to act as the middle click like the lenovo keyboard? I really miss the middle button for scrolling

4. RazzNuts

Did you install the mouse drivers (Synaptics) from HP?
    If you have Synaptics driver installed, ALL of the touchpad buttons are reprogrammable :) It's all on the mouse settings in Control Panel

You can change one of the two upper touchpad buttons to be a middle click button.

I myself prefer to emulate middle click by clicking both button simultaneously.

5. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The 2760p is compatible with any RAM, I'd get some that has the same speed and latency as the stock 4 GB stick (likely to be 1333 MHz CL9, what was in mine). for the SSD any SATA SSD will be compatible, I'd go for a Samsung 830, 840 Pro, an Intel 520, a Plextor M5P personally, those are all pretty reliable. You can go for other models as well like the Intel 330, it has a shorter warranty though.

Regarding Windows 8, it works just fine and the digitizer drivers will install with Windows 8, no need to download them from HP (that's why they're missing from the Windows 8 driver page on HP's site). You may want to isntall .NET 3.5 though, it is required for the quicklaunch buttons utility.

6. joseph1

joseph1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is that possible?!? I only see options to change the function of the two buttons individually.

7. RazzNuts

8. joseph1

joseph1 Pen Pal - Newbie

THANKS!! It worked!:D
    Okay another problem fixed. I was also wondering if I should get a skin for the laptop because it doesn't really look all the great or new. There are some carbon fiber and wood skins, but wanted to know if the looked any good in real life. In any other case I guess i could live with the looks as its a natural theft deterrent.

9. III.Jg27ADLER

III.Jg27ADLER Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey,

does anybody know how I can change the hotkey buttons on the side of the Tablet screen? I would like to assign the Windows button to one of these, but in the Tablet PC settings I can change those, but nothing changes (rotation button remains its rotation function ect.). I got the HP hotkey support and HP quick launch buttons installed.

Would appreciate any help!

10. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Updated the sucker to Windows 8.1 and the fingerprint reader driver doesn't want to install, HP has nothing more recent that want to install either. I tried unpacking the .exe to get to the driver .inf file directly and install through the device manager, but no luck so far. If anyone has a fix for this, let me know.