HP 2740p Windows 8 install

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by jeffghs, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a copy of Windows 8 RTM and will be installing on my 2740p. This is the full license version and not he 90 day trial, so I will post and update how it goes. I am currently backing everything up now just to have a fall back if needed.

Let me know if you have any questions or anything you would like me to look for.

2. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, after a long backup process, I have reformatted and installed. Some things of note on a clean install:

Windows install required a GPT drive to install on EFI systems and will not work with a MBR. This was fine for me since I was doing a clean reformat install, I had just never set a hard drive up this way.

I used a Win 7 ease of transfer backup to restore the settings from my previous install.

All of the basics seem to be working on the system including pen and touch (I have not tested them extensively), issues of note are:

Rotation is not currently working, I still have some more drivers to go through.
    Colors appear to be washed out looking, still looking for a better graphics driver.
    Mute button is always lit up. All volume buttons do seem to be working properly otherwise.

I have still not installed HP ProtectTools or the fingerprint scanner software, not sure if I want to do that or not.

In Windows 8, app store is working well. Tried the smartglass app for Xbox, seems pretty interesting.

The new layout will take some getting used to, but is very quick and responsive.

I have 2 items in device manager that do not have drivers loaded properly. I will investigate and update as I find out what these are related to. Update: one was cleared with installing the validity fingerprint driver the other still to be determined is listed as a base system device on PCI bus 68 Device 6 Function 2.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  3. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

Latest update. I got the display drivers working correctly by using an older driver than was trying to load. It seems like all drivers from win 7 work, some you have to do a little extra to make it happen, but they seem stable so far.

I did get screen rotation to work, but haven't looked at auto-rotation yet.

I still have the one device with an unresolved driver issue, but from what I was able to determine, it is for the smart card reader and would install with protecttools.

Cold boot start up is very fast ~10 seconds which is impressive, and I am still using the original HDD, not a SSD.

4. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, thanks for sharing. :)

I also have got a Desktop PC with Win8 installed. Boot time is awesome as you say.

Metro is nice. There is some learning curve, which fortunately is not really steep.
    Non-touch device will still be able to do everything using conventional pointing device, but it kinda beats the purpose of the touch-centric Metro UI itself.

Currently, I'm still mulling over installing win8 on my 2740p. I imagine navigating through metro UI using pen is kind of awkward. :D
    I like the "mobile-device-centric" aspects of Metro, though (The weather, messaging and social feed). Looks great and equally useful when convertibles is in Tablet-PC mode :p

Anyway, keep us updated. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  5. ultraciccione

ultraciccione Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi :D

Can I ask you which graphic drivers did you install?
    I also installed Win8 RTM on the 2740p, but the only way I found to have the graphic drivers working was this one:
    Solved Mobile Intel Series 4 and Mobile i3,i5,i7 HD Graphics

It isn't necessary to install the HP ProtecTools to have the fingerprint reader working, the drivers and the software to have it working can be found here:
    Validity - Biometric Fingerprint Sensors - Download Validity Sensor

6. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think the metro UI would be too bad with just a pen, it would just take some getting used to. I am trying to get used to all of the differences and different input methods and they are all growing on me.

One thing I like is the Mail app, seems to work well for all I need right now without going to something like Outlook and integration with the interface is really nice.

7. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

I found those drivers, but they were giving me problems, I found some others, possibly in the same thread but they were listed as Win7Vista_64_151718_SIGNED.zip. It give me the full Intel HD Graphics control panel. Hopefully HP/Intel will come up with a proper driver set that doesn't require a workaround.

I will try that for the fingerprint reader. Thanks.

8. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for informing us with your progress.

Any results on batterylife? Has it improved?

9. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry it's been a few days since I have been able to get on here and check up on things. I have spent more time outside cleaning up after Isaac than in working on my computer. Everything is still running quite well.

As far as battery life. I am seeing similar battery life, no real hits or improvements, but I do believe my battery is beginning to fail, or there may be other charging problems. As an example, it has been plugged in all day today, no time on battery, but it is currently reading 71%, plugged in, not charging, while it should have charged to 100% long ago.

10. Intricate

Intricate Pen Pal - Newbie

Hows the screen rotation?
    Are all 4 directions available with the current drivers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.