hp 2740p SATA or MicroSATA or mSATA SSD??

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by edlu, Feb 9, 2014.

1. edlu

edlu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,

I got a HP 2740p, and I am about to invest into upgrading HDD into SSD.

I am confused if I need SATA or microSATA or mSATA (miniSATA).

HDD already installed is Toshiba MK2533GSG which I think is microSATA (Toshiba 1 8" 250GB Toshiba MK2533GSG HP 2540p Micro SATA Hard Drive 1 Year Warr 5711045071713 | eBay), and on top it has some type of black plastic converter/adapter. Converter/Adapter seems to be - Mylar cover with tab, rubber gasket, and bracket.

Now, I have seen people saying you they bought SATA II and microSATA. One member on this forum ordered SATA (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-elitebooks/34085-1-8-ssd-2740p.html)

Which one should I buy? I need to make it work on the actual tiny space I have.

Thanks a lot

2. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsata is the 1.8 ssd form factor. Sata I and Sata II are the speeds of the bus.

I purchased the crucial c300 1.8 (Don't BUY IT, IT CRASHES ALOT)

It's a shame you bought the 2740p, I would have recommended that you get the 2760p because that one uses the regular 2.5 inch factor (although I read some info about some gaps between the SSD/HDD space and the frame.) the 1.8 factor is hardly used and will end up costing you quite a bit more for the ssd. I purchased the stupid c300 for almost 600 for 256gb at the time and it crashed twice making me lose data and having to spend money and time to send it into the states (from overseas).

I also found out you could get a msata to micro sata. It converts the msata ssd into microsata. Not sure how the speed differences will work. Definitely cheaper from what I've seen. $500 for intel 160gb 1.8 inch form factor.

Around $200 for msata 256gb. 20-50$.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    mastercoin likes this.
  3. edlu

edlu Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks In4mer,

I am planning to order Intel X18M G2 as per advice on this post mSATA & 1.8" SATA SSDs available

This guy mentioned something like this "PLEASE NOTE: mSATA-to-microSATA adapters are available. It may be in your best interest to consider a mSATA SSD + mSATA-to-microSATA adapter. These may provide better performance than the microSATA SSDs presented below."

Which means I can buy mSATA and adapter, but not sure if there is room. I hate to be stuck with SSD mSATA, and reordering SSD MicroSATA.

Any comment? Can I order SSD mSATA, and would adapter fit there?

thx a lot

4. Gromit

Gromit Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 2740p and used a mSATA to micro SATA adapter and used a Plextor m5m 256gb mSATA and it kicks ass. Wouldn't bother with the micro sata drives out there as they are ancient and slow.