HP 2740p - Finger Input or Pen only Screen?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Ingwing, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Ingwing

Ingwing Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everybody,
    I just received my 2740p and now I am concerned I got the "Pen-only"-Version. Does anybody know how to find out which Digitizer is build in? Maybe I just have to activate finger input somewhere (would be strange)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,
    Hoast

2. ougeta

ougeta Pen Pal - Newbie

hello-

If you go to the control panel then click the hardware and sound link- from there go to the touch settings link. There you will find an option to enable the touch option.

Good luck

3. Ingwing

Ingwing Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi ougeta, thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately the Menu just gives me Pen Options, Gestures and Handwriting Recognition (might be different words, I have the German OS installed) If I go to the Tablet PC Config Panel, it just says "Pen input available" or something like that. I gues it should sound "Pen Input and touch available" or something similar?

I'm afraid I got the active digitizer only version :(

4. thetrimaster

thetrimaster Pen Pal - Newbie

Ingwing, I might have a solution for you as I had exactly the same problem:
    I unintalled the program "touch" and reinstalled sp49256 Wacom Digitizer. After that it just works perfect for me. Just for your information it is a 2740p WK300EA#AK8

Good luck!

5. Ingwing

Ingwing Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks thetrimaster for your suggestion!
    I forgot to post a follow up of my initial problem:

My 2740p was a "pen only" version and I returned it for a pen+touch (also the pen calibration was way off on the first one), so everything is fine now.

It is still a difference like day and night when speaking about the Motion Comupting LE1600 pen accuracy compared to the HP 2740p. The HP is not accurate at all, especially around the edges. Hopefully, this could be solved by new drivers or an update of the calibration function, but I'm afraid this is really a hardware-related effect of the digitizer...

Other than that, I am really happy. I like the touch option as well. It feels really smooth!

Best regards,
    Hoast

6. jason palmere

jason palmere Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes there are 2 screen types. The touch screen has an extra circuit board containing the touch digitizer.

Attached Files: