hp 2730p indoor vs indoor/outdoor

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by euquility, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Pen Pal - Newbie

As far as I know, yes, the outdoor display is always the BOE089D panel.

2. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok. Is there also a surface treatment on the glass that is different than the regular display?

I've contacted HP and am trying to get them to put the outdoor display on. When they looked up the serial number, they said that yes, it should have the outdoor display, so I'm sending it in.

Strange that the previous owner didn't realize that he didn't get the display he paid extra for. I guess if you didn't have one of the regular ones to compare it to, you might not notice.

3. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry but I don't know.

4. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I wonder how difficult it would be to change the Displays, or convince HP to change them for you...

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I agree: HP has always has an annoying practice of multiple sourcing displays and acting as if they are interchangeable when their specs are wildly different. Interesting too that the 2730 screen specs are considerably different than the 2740 specs. I don't have the page source here, but I am positive (because I studied the issue so thoroughly) that indoor and outdoor have the identical posted specs (200 nit, 500 contrast ratio), and the only difference in the outdoor is an anti glare film layer. Glad to hear they're easy about replacement under wty, though. Do they have to "fail," or just "not look right" to get a replacement?

6. beckyb

Well, my experience is that it is quite possibly impossible to get your display changed. I posted earlier about the unit I bought that was supposed to have the outdoor display, but doesn't. I sent it in once, they had it for about a week. During that time, a repair person called me and asked what was wrong with it, he had tested it and it looked fine. I again repeated that it was supposed to have the outdoor screen, and he didn't seem to even know that there was such a thing. He was supposed to escalate my issue, but instead just sent it back unchanged.

The next week, I called and spent a lot of time on the phone with tech support trying to explain that the unit was sent with the wrong display at the time of the initial order. The tech seemed to be convinced that the night light was the "outdoor view" and insisted that my system was as it should be. I demanded to talk to his supervisor, who put me on hold for a long time, then said he would research it and call back. He called back a half hour later and told me that the nite light was my "outdoor view". Argh!!!!!

At this point I was wondering if anyone at HP Tech Support actually knows what they sell! I insisted that all the 2730p systems come with the night light and that it is not the same as the outdoor screen. He did some more research, called me back, and said that yes, I was right, there are 4 different parts, screens with webcams and either indoor or outdoor, as well as screens without webcams and with either indoor or outdoor. In addition, he said that yes, several units purchased from the business outlet had mistakenly gone out with the wrong display. He said he would specify the part number that needed to be put in and it would be serviced correctly this time.

Well, that was almost a month ago. HP had my system about 2 weeks when I got a garbled message on my machine from the repair person stating that he didn't know what needed to be done on the machine because it seemed to be working fine. He asked me to call, and left a number on my machine, but I couldn't understand the extension he left. Without the extension, you can't call the repair center. So..... I called tech support again and tried to talk to the same supervisor that seemed to understand the situation. He was supposedly in a meeting, but I was assured that he would take care of it.

Three days later I call to see what the status is, and they inform me that the repair center is waiting for me to call, but they can't give me the extension to call! They said that they would escalate it and the repair center would call me. Two days pass, and I call Tech support again. They tell me that the repair center tried to call ---Bull! No messages received. Again, they will escalate it and I will receive a call that day. Nothing.... After that I called Tech support two days in a row, and my "case manager" was in a meeting both times, but was supposed to call me when out of the meeting. Nothing.

Today I received the computer back. Message on the form said that they were unable to contact me and so my system was returned unrepaired. This second attempt at repair took about a month, so I've now been trying to get it resolved for about 5 weeks total.

I really don't know where to go from here. I'm so frustrated that I'm going to wait until Monday to decide how to approach it.

Any ideas?

Becki

Unbelievable!!!!

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@beckyb: I feel your pain :( .

Before you read any of my thoughts, below (nothing magic, but a few ideas), consider this: if it is like the 2740, the outdoor screen is identical to the indoor except that it has an anti-glare/polarization coating. Same brightness, same contrast. Thus, you may have already put more effort in than a successful result (the screen replacement) is worth. Life, being too short, may offer more rewarding ways for you to spend your time. If you wish to persevere, I have shaken my head and all that follows is what came out, lol ;) :). Good luck, in any event.

I think you may have more difficulty getting satisfaction because you bought the machine on eBay, not from HP Direct or an "authorized reseller." (Key queston: is it definitely still under warranty?) It's not necessarily that you are not just as entitled, if the serial number id's it as having the outdoor screen and there is no evidence that the screen has been changed by an owner - but it's just a harder thing to get done when you can't either threaten to RMA it or return it to your reseller and stop payment on the credit card charge. Come to think of it, your recourse may be to the eBay seller, and eBay does generally give you "buyer protection" for such things; it may have been an honest mistake, but if you now have to sell it at a loss or pay for the outdoor screen, the seller should have responsibility for it. Big drag, I know.

I have had many dealings with HP over the past year and I can tell you that you can almost always get satisfaction, but it often takes many, many calls and emails to virtually any source who might have responsibility for your claim. Even the emails to the CEO eventually get attention (though Hurd stepped down over "improprieties", I'm sure the people who process the email to the CEO (easy to find on the website" still do their thing.

Anyway, aside from the eBay claim, I would encourage you to budget a small amt of time each week to emails/phone calls (mostly duplicating the same messages) and you would probably get a sympathetic ear with the authority to get something done before too long. Rather than tech support or repair, I would be looking a contact in "Warranty Claims" or some such department. Also, have you tried getting someone in Live Chat to speak to?

I wish I had more direct contacts to suggest; I have tons of them in the HP Home/Home Office division and a few in sales, order processing in the SMB div that sells the Elitebook line, but nobody in warranty repair. Keep us posted on your efforts and DON'T GIVE UP unless you decide it is not worth your time, which it may well not be - see first comment at the beginning of my post ;) . If you continue to get nowhere and want to pursue it, I will try my few good resources elsewhere in the SMB group and see if they can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

8. beckyb

Well, luckily, the original owner bought it from the HP Business Outlet, and he sent all the original paperwork, including the info on the 3 year Accidental Protection plan he bought, which is still in effect until May 2012.

Seems like my main problem is getting anyone to even understand that there is a outdoor view screen option on these things!

I debated all weekend on whether to bother pursuing this, and decided that I will try the letter to the CEO with all my documentation on my phone calls to date.

I had several TC4400s before the 2730p, and preferred the outdoor screen to the regular, so I'd really like to get the outdoor.

9. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

This could be your out right there...
    Accidental protection...
    "oops, I got so frustrated being given the runaround by your idiots at tech support that I smashed a hammer through the screen. Replace it with the proper parts please." :)

10. beckyb

Yeah, that what my husband suggested, but I just can't do it.

No reply from the email I sent the CEO over a week ago. I am giving up and selling the unit. The frustration of dealing with HP again just isn't worth it, I'm giving myself an ulcer!

At least the next owner will have the benefit of a great warranty and won't be expecting an outdoor screen!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.