HOWTO: Upgrade Hard Drive on the T5010 (PICS)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Zero, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurlak

kurlak Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello... when I got my T5010 Lifebook from Fujitsu, I ordered the lowest possible hard drive with hopes of being able to replace it with a better one from Newegg. The tablet came, worked like a dream, etc. However, I had never replaced a laptop hard drive before, so I looked for tutorials on the internet and came across this site. Sadly, I couldn't find any tutorials for replacing the hard drive of a T5010, presumably because of its recent introduction. Eventually I figured it out by prodding and poking things. I made a tutorial for everyone else. You can check it out here:

http://www.efficientcode.com/t5010/

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. charco

charco Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

is it possible for you to tell us what's the brand and model number of the original HD?

Thanks.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Brand is certainly going to be Fujitsu.

4. kurlak

kurlak Pen Pal - Newbie

Brand: Fujitsu
    Model: MHZ2080BH G2

5. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

awesome! I am getting ready to do this myself.

6. Seb656

Seb656 Fujitsu T2010 User

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you just remove the part with the Windows Keys on it? I know on the T2010 that part is removable for easier access to the HDD, I don't know why they would make it less convenient on the newer models.

7. kurlak

kurlak Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish it were that easy--that's what I initially tried, but there are no screws that will open that "panel"--in fact, it isn't even a panel, it's part of the entire bottom panel (as you can see in picture 25 under step 18, it is still in place after all of the screws have been removed). For this reason, I made a tutorial--since it isn't as easy as you'd expect.

8. Seb656

Seb656 Fujitsu T2010 User

That is strange that they would take a step back in like that.

9. kurlak

kurlak Pen Pal - Newbie

It's actually quite irksome since I can't seem to install XP tablet edition on the new drive... it always does a BSOD after it says "starting windows"... and gives me some 0x0000007b error or something. And since I couldn't get XP working, I replaced the new HD with the old one, and it worked, and then replaced the old with the new again... still didn't work. So a lot of screwing and unscrewing. Anyway, it looks like it will let me install Vista (odd)--so I'll try installing that and then erasing then replacing it with XP.

10. kurlak

kurlak Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys--I was able to install Windows Vista Tablet Edition on the new hard drive, but for some reason, it still won't let me install Windows XP Tablet Edition... it gives me a BSOD after running through its processes and saying "Starting Windows" along the gray bar. Any ideas?

Some 0x0000007b error.

---
    EDIT: I figured it out. I simply needed to use nLite to include the SATA drivers on the XP installer.