HOWTO: T730 - Screen replacement

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by mmccord, Nov 8, 2010.

1. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

By request, I put together a quick guide with pictures for removing the screen from a T730. Here goes:

[​IMG]

Remove the batteries, 'air filter', and 5 screws from the bottom.
    Remove the plate over the HD & fan (top of pic) by sliding to the left and lifting up.
    Remove the memory cover by lifting up the left side.
    Remove the LCD cable cover by sliding to the right and lifting up.

[​IMG]

Unplug the gray & black antenna wires from the WLAN card (top of pic). These wires sit under notches running down to the bottom-middle of the pic, just unravel them.
    Unplug the LCD/Digitizer/other connections (2 plugs) from the motherboard (bottom of pic).

[​IMG]

Flip notebook right-side-up, and turn the screen a few degrees to access these plastic screw covers. Just lift up from the notch in the back to lift them off, and remove the screws. The picture shows the one on the left, there is an identical one on the right side.

[​IMG]

(lousy picture of one with cover & screw removed)

[​IMG]

Once the screws are removed, lift up the front of the black plastic strip over the keys (be careful not to knock off any keys on your top row) and pull towards yourself to lift it off. Be very careful on this step and especially on the next, as the plastic strips are quite flimsy. The picture above was taken after the front strip was removed.

[​IMG]

Remove the back strip by lifting directly up and pulling it away from the back of the computer. Mine kept getting stuck where I have the screwdriver pointing, due to a small circuit board and clip. Sliding the small flat-head screwdriver in there was enough to release the clip. I found having the screen perpendicular to the base, rotated half-way, was the easiest way to remove this.

Note the 'chrome' piece right by the hinge. You should be able to remove this in one piece with the black plastic strip, although they are two separate parts. If the chrome piece comes off the black strip, put it back on before trying to re-assemble this part.

[​IMG]

This little guy gave me a hell of a time when re-assembling the first time, because there is very little holding it in place. It has a hole on the left that a small piece of plastic sticks through, and it is supposed to sit under a clip on the right-top. I put a small piece of scotch tape underneath it to hold it in place during re-assembly.

[​IMG]

Remove the stupid piece of metal (red box).
    Remove 1 screw, and lift off the circuit-board attached to the keyboard (orange box).
    Remove the keyboard.

[​IMG]

This cable runs right over the screen hinge. You could probably remove it without unplugging the cable, but it seems easier just to unplug it.

Anyway, unplug it on the left and fold it to the right, out of the way.

[​IMG]

Remove two top screws holding the hinge in.

[​IMG]

Remove the two screws from the back of the computer.

It should be loose now, just lift the screen off the base, carefully feed the wires through the access-hole, and you are done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do everything backwards to re-assemble. :)

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

3. mmccord

I would say, overall, this process is very easy. The first time I did it I had it apart and re-assembled in about 20 minutes, second time was just over 10.

Fujitsu is very consistent with their screws, the whole process only involves two sizes (one used everywhere except the hinge, which has 4 larger screws), so it's easy enough to put it back together.

Mostly you just need to be gentle and not break any of the plastic parts, the rest is easy. The two black strips are thinner in the middle to go around the hinge, so they have a weak spot there. Just take your time and don't yank on them too hard, and you'll be fine.

4. sirkha

sirkha Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for posting these pictures they have helped me confirm that there is in fact a second mini pci-express slot in the computer for a cellular modem card. I do wonder if the sim card slot is still connected/there (in the back part of the battery well.)

The only other question I had about the T730 is, "can i replace the processor?" The answer I got from Fujitsu is that it cannot be replaced as it is soldered straight onto the motherboard. A confirmation of this would be somewhat helpful. Thank you for sharing what you know.

5. sledracer1y

sledracer1y Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in need of the chrome hinge that the screen pivots on. Do you have a place to get this part. I have search the internet with no luck so far. I dont need a screen I need the hinge.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

6. Mistryl_au

Mistryl_au Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, the processor can be replaced - at least on the ones I work with.
    They are NOT soldered to the board

7. Mistryl_au

Mistryl_au Pen Pal - Newbie

If the machine is still under warranty, Fujitsu will sometimes replace a hinge if it's broken on only one side.

There are several different hinges for this model - I *think* the only difference is the cables that come with it (for different screen models, webcam/3g, etc), but I'm not 100% sure.

If you let me know what options you have in terms of Webcam, digitiser(s) & 3G, I should be able to give you the correct part number or at least a few that should work. You can usually pick them up on Ebay.

Also, a T4410 hinge will work on a T730 with similar options.

8. mmccord

This seems to be a common problem with the 730. I have 2 sitting on my desk right now with broken hinges.

9. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

10. mmccord

Excellent information! Where did you get it and can you get the manuals for other models?