HOWTO: T2010 disassembly and applying new thermal grease

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey thanks Frank!

I thought so about both. I can't really see the connector for the card reader, is it located underneath or just to the side of the PCI slot? (In your picture, is it accessible without taking out the PCI slot?)

As for the fingerprint reader...I guess I'll just try to reposition the connector and see what happens. I can live without it, but I'd like to try and fix it if possible. Everything else works. Maybe one of the pins got bent...I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help though.

3. evgeniy10

evgeniy10 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does it make sense for T2020 ?

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

if the fan annoys you, yes :) According to a few other members it seemed as if the T2020 used the same loud fan the T2010 uses, and applying custom thermal grease is useful in reducing temperatures on almost every notebook.

5. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

There was bad news before :( , last year I changed the CPU FAN to T4220 type, it worked fine until the start of this month. It started to have a loud noise and some vibrations as some members mentioned before here.

At that time, there were 2 solutions, one was to buy another new T4220 FAN to replace and the second one was to use back the original CPU FAN.

I thought some days about it and I chose the second solution. It is because, as the T4220 FAN which is the common item in FAN which is widely used in Fujitsu Notebook but T2010/T2020 need to use their own special one. I think there are some special reasons to be necessary to design a new CPU FAN for T20x0 series, maybe for their thin case or other special reasons.

Anyway, since I decided to use back the original CPU FAN, I used some time to study why the operation noise is so loud with the high pitch sound. :rolleyes: As my testing result, if there is a barrier on or very very closed to either side of the CPU FAN, especially the side of holding the motor, i.e. the side which is facing to the base plate after the CPU FAN is installed on the case, the unwated sound will be come out due to the air pressure, otherwise, it is very quiet.

Thus, I had a idea at that time was to increase the distance between the side which is facing to the base plate after the CPU FAN is installed on the case and the CPU FAN. Please check the below photos,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just adhere two small papers, it is actually cut from a name card which is made by a bit of thick paper with double sided adhesive tapes to adhere, on the mounting area of the FAN as the pictures shown in order to increase the distance between the FAN and the base plate.

Wounderful, the noise sound level of the CPU FAN is acceptable now, which is quiet or quieter as using T4220 type. :)

Anyway, it is worth to try this solution since it is no costs and harms at all. I am not sure it is the same result to the other tablets as mine. Although the overall thickness will be increased a bit, there is enough margin on the case so it should not be a problem. :cool:

Also, use the good thermal grease is also important, I used Arctic MX-2, which is the great thermal grease since the Arctic MX-2 does not contain any metal particles, there are no problems regarding electrical conductivity or capacitance. Unlike other silver and copper compounds. Also, with MX-2 no curing and no bleeding of the compound are possible. In contrast to other products, this compound does not show decreasing performance over time, does not need to be reapplied and has a durability of at least 8 years.

BTW, this parts, hinge back cover, in my tablets as shown in the pictures below was bent and broken during testing the CPU FAN noise issue using the hair-blower accidentally, it is so bad since this cover can be damaged by hair-blower only :( , is there a way to be possible to get the new one? Thanks for your help and information in advance.

[​IMG]

I hope this solution is good and suitable for you and your tablets. :) :D

6. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey it's been a while. My fan started making grinding noises as well so I had to replace it. I decided why not use the old fan with the mod that colourful zone did. I tried it and it actually works! I couldn't believe it but it has no resemblance to that loud old fan. I didn't think that the little piece of paper would do anything but it really seems to get rid of that "whistle" effect that the fan seems to emit. If you all are sick of the fan noise I really recommend this.

7. bluesceada

bluesceada Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

thanks for the very good guide how to disassemble the T2010, this has also worked mostly for a T2020, there were only minor differences (it was a bit different for the wireless card at the top right).

The thermal grease in my T2020 was already very dry and crumbly :eek: and I put Arctic Cooling MX-2 there, that is supposed to last 8 years without getting too dry.

But after all it doesn't seem to have helped really much so far, the FAN is still turned on very easily and runs very often. But maybe I am still in the "burn-in" phase of the thermal grease, if that isn't just a popular myth...

I would also guess that the heatsink design is really bad, because the metal part that should touch the chips seems too easily bendable. So depending on how strong it is fixed with the screws, it might not touch the chips on a flat level ..?

Anyway, the next step would either trying to change the fan speed with some driver / acpi bios hacking (might not even be possible if it is fully hardware controlled..) or probably rather by putting an own fan "control" in between the hardware, ...

But I don't have time for that at the moment, so I will hope for the "burn-in" to happen - for now. If I have any news, I will post it here!

8. topoferie

topoferie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for posting this. I went from 61 to 62 degrees Celsius to 40 - 42 at idle. Old thermal grease was completely dried up!

As for the full story of what I did... I replaced the fan on my own without the help of these great instructions on how to take your T2010 apart. The new fan was quieter but still running at full blast. (I bought a new t2010 fan before I read this or I would have got the fan mentioned in this thread. It is cheaper on eBay).

So then I researched and found this site. Took the laptop back apart, this time the easy correct way. Put some thermal grease on and now, wow, fan just speeds up to full speed when under load. Sounds closer to normal laptop now. Although this model will always be lounder than "normal" I think.

Anyway Temperature dropped 20 degrees Celsius at idle!

9. antipody

antipody Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just followed this excellent guide to:

- replace the thermal grease with Zalman SM-STG1,
    - replace the fan with the 4220 one (removing the metal top)
    - replace the keyboard and mouse pointer

Note I had to add a separate step (to remove the antenna connectors to the Sierra UMTS card) as my model is a T2010u, but I got this thing into bits and back together again twice with no lost screws.

Now, I am in awe. This fan is silent. I'm wondering if it's actually not working, it's just so damn quiet. All I can hear is a very dim rattle. I can feel pressure coming out of the vent, but can't believe it's turning.

I seriously can't believe how good this is. It certainly sounds like a brand new machine. :thumbsup: I just hope I haven't stuffed something up and it cooks itself now.