HOWTO: T2010 disassembly and applying new thermal grease

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thank you.
    I also followed the guides on Arctic Silver. On the CPU and Northbridge (both chips with the exposed die) I applied a rice sized amount and spread it across the die with a clean razor blade. Just as SimsHsia did.
    On the Southbridge, the large one on the right bottom I put a bit more thermal grease on it and didn't spread it around.
    Then I carefully placed the heatsink on top of the chips, best without moving or rotating it again and fixed the screws.

Your idle temperature seem ok, but could be a bit lower. Maybe you have some background process running. So when on battery, no devices connected, Marvell LAN card deactivated in the device manager and when you open RMClock take a look at the CPU load, OS Load, discharge rate and CPU temperatures. The OS load should hover around 0%, the CPU load somewhere between 50% and 80%, the discharge rate, with brightness to min setting, wifi turned off and CPU idling somewhere around 7 Watt. With this values my CPU temperature goes down to 41-42C and the fan turns off sometimes.

The 45C aren't bad, and won't harm your tablet. It's just possible that you could apply the thermal grease better or you just have a few not needed programs/devices running in the background which consume some CPU power.

So just take a second look at the numbers in RMClock and make sure that you turned off your wifi and deactivated your wired lan card in the device manager.

2. LeiLei

LeiLei Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick question, what type of adhesive would you need to use to attach the copper heatsink to the laptop cooling fan?
    My T4220 fan started to make scratching noise on me, so i have to replace it.

3. tex515

tex515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to the great guide I got brave and replaced the fan.

It was certainly worth it for two reasons.

1 it is much much quieter (and not the high pitched squeal)
    2 half the heat sink was blocked with fluff.

one concern now is the my second core runs about 2-3 degrees hotter.

Should I be concerned that I didnt apply the thermal paste correctly or is this a normal split for the temperature?

CPU 0 43C CPU 1 45 at idle -- 55C when cpu fully loaded.

4. Frank

congratulations for you upgrade. It's a pity that Fujitsu hasn't done this from the beginning. Because of this upgrade the T2010 starts getting really quiet. When I read a book the tablet is dead silent normally, both HDD and fan shut off.
    So well done.

And it's normal that one of your cores runs a bit hotter than the other. So everything is fine with your tablet.

You don't need an adhesive. You need a thermal grease. What you use is your decisison. You can use the well known Arctic Silver, or you can use an even better thermal grease made of diamonds.
    The fan and heatsink are fixed with screws:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=18758

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. aleck

aleck Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks a bunch for the perfect guide, Frank.

Idle temperature dropped 4°C.

6. RCXIII

RCXIII High School Senior

Thanks for the guide, it helped tremendously. I've taken out the old fan, replaced it with a t4220 fan and reapplied thermal grease, giving me between 32-39C. This modification got rid of the old high pitched noise but now, I get a less irritating buzzing and clicking noise instead, as if theres something getting caught in the fan and/or vibrating some piece of the case. I took it apart and made there sure there were no wires in the way and that the heat sink wasn't positioned to closely to the fan, even powered the fan itself outside of the laptop to see what the source of the sound was. Well, theres nothing I can see that is in the way of the fan, and when I power it outside of the laptop, it sounds fine. Anyone know?

7. Frank

you can run the tablet PC with the keyboard lifted. Then you may be able to find the culprit by playing around with the fan while the keyboard is open and pushing around a bit.
    Does it always happen? Even when the fan is on full load?

8. RCXIII

RCXIII High School Senior

Yep, did exactly that and the buzzing occurs when the fan is spinning and it gets worse the faster it spins. It sounds as if I have a faulty fan because the sound comes directly from the fan itself but it sounds fine when its out of the case.

9. dnquark

dnquark Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm in the same boat as RCXIII -- the replacement fan was a little quieter, but it is much more susceptible to vibrations, and even though it was mounted very securely, vibrations would make it louder overall, to the point that I took it out yesterday and dropped in my old fan. The alternative would be trying to mount it using some shock-absorbing material (anyone know where to get that squishy rubbery stuff that's used on the hard drive cradles?)... For the record, the replacement fan was MCF-S6055AM05

10. stealthy1

stealthy1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I think I agree with most of you. The new fan really is louder.

And can someone help me? I managed to royally screw something up. My card reader and fingerprint reader is now not working. Does anybody know where the connectors for these are? Sigh...I really shouldn't have replaced this.