HOWTO: T2010 disassembly and applying new thermal grease

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you can use RMClock or Notebook Hardware control to view the CPU temperatures, load, clock, ...
    I use RMClock, because I'm used to it. Sadly it does not get updated any longer.

When on battery, in tablet mode and I read a PDF or do only light things, so the CPU is idle most of the time, the CPU temperature is around 41 C most of the time and the fan is completely off.
    At the moment it is connected to the AC adapter, connected to a WUXGA display, which stresses the IGP a bit more and sits on the port replicator in tablet mode I have a CPU temperature, while idling, of about 45 C.
    I have posted a chart in a different thread with my CPU temperatures:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=22956

The high noise and maybe CPU temperatures can get caused through CPU intensive background processes. Run Process Explorer from Sysinternals (you can download it from the microsoft site) and take a look at the CPU load and "I/O delta other bytes". There you can see what process stresses the CPU.

I just don't know what you mean with dynamic background. What happens if you turn it off?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Colourful Zone

Colourful Zone Using T2020 thru DIY e-PCIe I/F, now using T904

Hi Frank, thanks for your precious information. The program of RMClock and Sysinternals is great and the function of RMClock is useful. I will use some time to study about it. Maybe it can control better in the CPU working frequency and voltage in order to minimize the Fan noise and battery life in battery mode. I get the RMClock version is 2.35 which is built in 02/2008 so it should be OK for us.

About your CPU temperature reading, which program you are running to get that reading? I use an old program called "CPUStab" to test it and it is 52 C max. only without the external display. That seems to be great but the fan noise is quite loud. However, I know that the new Fan is more comfortable since the noise frequency of the Fan is lower than the original one.

If you are using XP with the Windows Live Messager(MSN), the background in the "message" windows, you can select the "backgrounds" in the "Tools" menu to be Dynamic Background, choose the first one "clock" since it can use the CPU and Display resources continuously.

Also, I encountered a problem which is that after I did my great job(apply new thermal compund and change the FAN) on my T2010, I find that there is a noise with very high frequency "chirp" sound from the tablet. It is not from the Fan and the Harddisk after I checked. Thus I take out the keyboard to check, the sound comes from or very near North Bridge. As my experience, the sound seems to be the switching noise from the switching power circuit of CPU part since the noise mainly depends on the CPU load. However, I cannot confirm it is relevent to the "great job" or not since I cannot confirm there is this kind of sound or not before the "great job".

Does any person get the same problem or any suggestion? I am quite busy and I do not have much time to redo the great job again recently. :)

3. Frank

Great news.
    I use RMClock to read the CPU temperatures.

I don't use Windows Live Messenger, so I can't say anything about it.

The high pitched sound is a well known problem, which many notebooks have. Some say it is only a Intel problem, but I also heard this high pitched noise from a few AMD based notebooks.
    I don't know exactly what it is, if it's the DC-DC converter or the Northbridge/Southbridge/CPU.
    I also noticed that the noise depends on the CPU load. You can minimize the noise if you deactivate the "Popdown" and "Popup" mode in RMClock - "Advanced CPU settings" - "Chipset" (but this reduces battery life and increases heat)
    But it also changes if I connect an external HDD to the tablet PC. If I put the tablet on the port replicator, and keep it in sleep mode, I also hear a high pitched noise a bit, if I turn it off, it vanishes.
    Sadly there's no solution, some laptops/tablets have it, some not.

4. Colourful Zone

oic, thanks for your information and suggestion, Frank. :)

5. linj

linj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

I've had this problem for a while, and I didn't have time to ask about it...

When disassembling the thing, did anyone find that they couldn't get... this piece back onto it and clasping? [​IMG]

I'm not sure where it latches... anyone have a good idea of how it works?

Cheers,
    Jeff

6. Frank

Sorry, but I don't know how this piece gets fixed, and I don't plan to open my tablet again to check it :) I also can't remember that I had any difficulties with this piece.
    Maybe you could turn the piece around, place it on a white background and shoot a second photo of it and post it here, maybe then someone can tell you how to put this piece back.

7. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks like it directly covers the bottom part of the hinge; check and see if there are any screw threads on the bottom. If yes, it's probably affixed by screws, if not then it's probably held in place by tabs. Check for those.

8. Colourful Zone

When I made something DIY on my T2010 today(I will post it in here later :)), I also take 2 photos about the back cover of the hinge part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the first photo, there are 2 latches(red colour) that this cover piece is pushed from the back of the hinge. Also, be careful the 2 positions in red colour in the second photo when you push it into the hinge. Anyway, you need to open your T2010 again(after unscrew the hinge part(4 big screws) according to the guide in this thread) in order to install this cover back to the hinge part.

Thus, as the photos, it is quite difficult this cover is taken out accidentally. You have to take it out intentionally by yourself. :)

9. linj

linj Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

I'll take a look at that again, then.

Thanks so much for your help, guys! :D

Edit:

Oh, hilarious. So I pulled apart the thing again, in an attempt to fix what I broke last time - it had the middle and right mouse buttons sorta mixed up in a weird way. Okay. Now when I put it back together, it's got no middle nor mouse buttons. Okay, then. I have a Mac now (gasp); I mapped windows + left mouse to be right mouse.

That was last week. I take it apart again this week, and when I put it together, none of my mouse buttons respond. :D

I think it's probably the contacts having problems; it seems that when I press down on it (well, pressed; that trick no longer works), it sometimes got the middle/right mouse buttons right.

Anybody have this very fun experience? :D

10. wafun21

wafun21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you guys help me? I open it and apply new thermal grease but then after assembling, my laptop wont boot anymore. It has a blank screen after POST and nothing happen. Hard drive, RAM, display, CPU are still good. Also try boot from CD or DVD but does not work either, also try USB boot. Something not right... the laptop wont boot to anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.