HOWTO: T2010 disassembly and applying new thermal grease

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

You make a good point about the metal cover but since it is glued on and the fan cost $50 I was reluctant to try and rip it off from the start. I think the cover conducts some of the heat from the heatsink so its hard to tell if its much worse.

I could feel the fan pushing more air compared to the older one but its not too significant.

I made some rough temperature measurements using NHC with estimated times but take it with a grain of salt.

Idle at startup: 39-40 degrees

Heavy usage for 15 minutes - Firefox with 3 tabs, Adobe Digital Edition book reader, OneNote, Media player classic running Wall-E 720p trailer in repeat: 50-55 degrees

Turned off everything except firefox for 10 minute web browsing: 49 degrees.

Idle after 10 minutes: 46 degrees.

During heavy usage the cpu was around 50% on average so it was not at its hottest point. I have the 1.06ghz cpu and I still struggled trying to get cpu to 100% usage. My usage of the computer is probably not as demanding as most people. ;)

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have similar temperatures, so that's fine, the fan does its job :)

Now we only need to know if it's really more silent, if you really notice a difference or if it's negligible.
    It's sad that the fan control is so bad and so aggressive.

3. zunq

It feels like even after all this, on max performance while plugged in the fan is as active as before and that there is no way around that without an improved fan controller. I have BIOS 1.05 and it sometimes goes to nearly full blast even when web browsing and the computer is barely even warm to the touch. Sure the fan itself is quieter but once you get spoiled by it, even it begins to sound loud. I think the thermal paste and the new fan did a lot to improve on the quietness but it still seems like now it's only on par with other laptops and wish that Fujitsu would release a BIOS that improves the fan even further. I did my part and now it's up to you Fujitsu. :cool:

4. thrawn86

thrawn86 Pen Pal - Newbie

awesome work zunq. definitely something for me to ponder when my warranty runs out.

5. zunq

After 3 weeks I can safely say that this fan is so much better than the cheap stock fans Fujitsu put in there, that I would never think of going back. Even on medium load while plugged in, it is just a pleasure to use. The notorious ramp of the fan noise is so little that it's forgettable. Compared to noise, the heat seems more bothersome now. The fan uses a little bit more power(.33A vs .23A) but on battery the fan never goes on anyway and I have yet to see ill effects. I would recommend people who already opened their T2010 to replace the fan immediately!

Also a warning when you're disassembling the tablet, use a nice full-sized screwdriver with a thick handle to remove the larger screws near the hinge. I made a mistake of using a small one and nearly stripped the screw because they are screwed in very tight and also don't use an electric one either.

6. Frank

This are great news. Well, then, maybe, I'll also replace my stock fan with the T4220 fan, or? Maybe I'll do it. We'll see :)

At least this is an "easy" way to make the T2010 a bit more silent, and that's good to know ;)

Thank you again for this hint.

7. thrawn86

http://cgi.ebay.com/CPU-Fan-for-Fuj...8627885QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

is that the fan you used zunq? Wanted to make sure before I plopped down 50$ for a stinkin fan... my fan is developing an annoying buzz. if I can't clean it out with some canned air (hopefully its just fuzz in there) then I'll want to replace the fan. The buzzing is just too much in a quiet classroom.

I've been wanting to do it for awhile anyway but my warranty isn't up. ah well... I've got some AS5 laying around so I'll throw that in there too.

8. zunq

Yup that is the one. Also if you want to take it a step further, it's probably better to remove the metal cover. I left mine on which creates a 1mm gap and it's likely worse for cooling. It's bonded on by dots of plastic so I think sand paper will work well(you will know when you see it).

9. thrawn86

I'm biting the bullet on this fan. the buzzing is driving me nuts. If I squeeze down hard on the side of the case it will shut up. Even if its just something loose I might as well go for it.

10. Frank

Any progress?
    Now after semester starts again in a few days I have a bit more free time again, so I really think about "upgrading" my fan, it's only a bit expensive, the little fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.