HOWTO: T2010 disassembly and applying new thermal grease

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Frank, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Heatsink size is on par with other laptops in the market, it's pretty much the status quo. In the past when laptops were heavier we got to see copper used in heatsinks as well, but all-aluminium heatsinks have replaced that.

I don't think heatsink size is the problem, I think processor efficiency is what really needs improving. I doubt we'll be seeing changes in laptop cooling systems very soon, though as mentioned it would be nice if manufacturers allowed more customisable options when it comes too cooling configurations (subject to limitations of course).

I am so trying out this hack when my T4210's warranty expires.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yep you are right. The heatsink is normal sized, especially if you compare this heatsink with others, which have to cool a normal voltage CPU AND a dedicated GPU. But they still could have produced a better heatsink, made of copper, more fins and with maybe two heatpipes instead of a single large heatpipe and such a large aluminium plate above the south- and northbridge, especially for the price we pay for a Fujitsu.

Some things which would be cool and possible:
    - They replace the Li-Ion batteries with fuel cells and use the produced water to cool the CPU (vaporise the water)
    - They replace the mechanical fans by something similar to this so called Solid-state fan. At the moment this fan is garbage, because it emits ionized air, which is, in my opinion, not so nice, smells awful and produces headache. But if they use the ionized gas only to move the air and later de-ionize this gas again, that would be cool.
    - Magnetic refrigeration together with a small fan and small heatsink
    - Processors build with superconductors :eek: That would be awsome but I think we have to wait a few more decades for this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice work, I think I will replace the fan in the future. Maybe you can try running it without a fan. I know it sounds crazy but the Dell X1 didn't have one either so there is a slim chance.

4. Frank

Don't try this. You can do this easily on a notebook, because there you have the keyboard as a large heatsink, but not on a tablet, because there's your display.

A better fan, yes that would be great. If you find one which fits, then tell it us ;)

5. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

seven internets to you, my friend. Perfect guide, great pictures.

6. zunq

I'm excited to report that I found a fan that works and is much quieter! :D
    A week ago I was looking for a fan that was shaped exactly like the T2010's which was quite hard. Some Dell fans looked very similar but was not facing the right way. Then I figured if the T4220 was quieter, it must be using a similar but different fan from the T2010. So I looked up its part number: CA49008-0271 and it is exactly the same looking fan except its made by Toshiba. Ordered it on ebay which luckily had it for sale. I opened up the T2010 and replaced the new fan with the old and it fit perfectly. The fan has a metal cover on there which does not align 100% with the heatsink hole but it's good enough and it still fits without a problem. Put the tablet together and powers up without a problem. My T2010 is now almost perfect...

The fan of course went on more often after I removed the heatsink without reapplying thermal paste. After I get my arctic silver ceramique I will reapply the thermal paste and see some real results.

I found a place to buy it in Europe as well: http://www.laptop-ersatzteile.de/No...s/Lifebook/T-Serie:::7113_7688_7690_7837.html

7. Frank

WOW
    You are great man.
    That's just great.

Can you also post some pictures? Like, new and old fan side by side, new fan built in, something like this, that would be awesome.

Is this fan quieter than the original T2010 fan, I mean at full speed? Do you really notice a difference.
    And after you applied your thermal grease, could you tell us what your CPU temperatures are?
    And why do you use "arctic silver ceramique" and not "arctic silver 5"? According to some tests, AS5 is better than AS Ceramique :confused:

PS: I'm so happy that so many T2010 users mod and tune and customize their tablet :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. zunq

I'll be happy to post some pics tomorrow when I open it up again.

The fan when it goes full blast is loud like most fans but it's comparitively much quieter than the T2010's fan. It does not have that high pitched whirring noise that bothered most of us. The ramping of the fan noise seems less pronounced and I could certainly stand it.
    Right now my new fan is blowing a lot of cool air which probably means the heatsink isn't doing its job.

I chose to use the ceramique since its non-conductive and because it's my first time applying this stuff. I figured it wouldn't make a dramatic difference since it is a ULV cpu and I probably wouldn't benefit from it.

9. zunq

Ok, just before I opened it up and applied some Arctic silver and closed it up and its working like a charm. It seems like the fan is more silent now but will be paying close attention to it.

I have some pictures of the fan, not too exciting but if you're wondering what it looks like:

[​IMG]
    Side by side
    [​IMG]
    Fan installed
    [​IMG]
    Like what I mentioned earlier, notice the heatsink hole does not align perfectly. This hasn't been a problem at all so I wouldn't even recommend removing the cover.

10. Frank

Great done, and good to know that there is hope :)

The fan looks interesting, it has more "blades", maybe it blows out more air at lower speeds?

But take a look at your temperatures, because I don't know if the T4220 fan is really better than the original. If the temperatures are still low, and the fan isn't so loud anymore, then: prefect.
    But it's also possible, that it's hotter. The original fan also cooled the silver metal plate which lies on the fan. The new fan, does this not, or not really, because it has an additional metal plate on top of the fan, which, maybe, prevents cooling the CPU metal plate. So the new fan only cools the heatsink, not the metal plate, like the old fan did.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is no difference, maybe the new fan is just better, we will see what you'll tell us regarding noise and temperatures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.