HowTo reformat/restore your EP121 using USB (No external optical drive needed)

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by MechTeq, Sep 26, 2011.

1. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

slatehmb:
    re: Sandisk USB flash drive do you see 2 new drives in explorer? One a CD drive and the other a removable disk, if so that is probably the trouble. Some USB flash makers put on various software and make it a CD partition which they hide. Lot of talk on net about this, even on USB hard drives now.
    Most have software to remove this junk on their web sites. Have a Sandisk USB flash in my hand right now that gave me the same problem.

re: your SSD, are you sure you marked the boot partition active.

2. slatehmb

slatehmb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks by your response,

Regarding the Sandisk flash disk the unit is appearing as a single removable only (I: Drive).
    Also, I formatted (not fast mode) this unit with HP USB disk storage format tool so as to
    clean it entirely before trying to use AIRecovery. I think this tool would be able to do the
    task since after that operation the MSWindows DM shows 14,93GB in just one partition.

Regarding the Slate's SSD partition resizing (by using Partition Wizard tool) I ended up
    with a completely bricked device after rebooting. Now I am not able to enter the bios
    setup so as to try to make a clean instalation of the MSWindows 7.

The only thing that the dumb machine does after turned on is rotating the fan very fast and
    also recognizes a USB keyboard I have attached some hours ago.

Any suggestions ?

3. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

slatehmb:

re:Sandisk flash--do you have show sys and hidden files allowed in Win explorer? The Sandisk Cruz and I think all of their models have a 5.9MB
    partition called CD Drive (x) U3 System in Win explorer, as well as a 15+GB FAT32 active partition. A format will not get rid of it, it must be deleted. Use Partition Wizard, it will show it as a CDFS formated 5MB primary partition. I think Partition Wizard will delete it, then you can expand the FAT32 to recover the now unassigned 5MB space.

re:SSD --- Once the flash drive has the recovery software on it you can boot with it and have it do a full recovery. Don't worry about the SSD, the recovery program will partition and reformat it. But just to 32GB size, if you had changed to a larger drive you would use your partitioning software to expand it. You could use the recovery disks if you had access to a USB optical drive instead of the flash drive.

edit: Make the sure the computer you use to make the USB flash recovery stick is running Win7.
    Following page 13 in manual should work.

4. slatehmb

slatehmb Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear hunter99,

Partition Wizard tool shows just only one primary FAT32 partition after processing 16GB
    Sandisk Cruze Blade as HP USB disk storage formatndisk Cruze tool did before. No hidden or any
    other files are presented by using MSWindows DM.

Regarding DVD Optical drive unit for recovering the system, forget it. It was the first thing
    that I tried (as the dumb machine user's guide instructs). The DVD #1 is not bootable as posted in another thread.

Any more suggestions ?

5. hunter99

hunter99 To Old Now

slatehmb:
    Saw your other post, very glad you got it loaded. I hope it works to bootup your slate. Strange that a 32 bit box worked and not a 64, but I as I aways say don't argue with success. Did a little research on the Sandisk U3 partition, they stopped installing and supporting it Oct. of 2009. So I was wasting your time on that account. Sorry about. Good luck to you and let us know how you make out.

6. vivimbob

vivimbob Pen Pal - Newbie

me also doesn't recognize my 16GB USB anymore. It's suck....