HOWTO: Proper Tabletpc calibration in Windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whazzup, Nov 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

As mentioned by Frank below, this should be more accurately described as:
    Guide to Adjusting Wacom Pen Offsets in Windows Art Programs

All this while, I've been having problems dealing with pen calibration in drawing apps like SAI and photoshop. In these drawing apps, the cursor is always Underneath the pen tip. I can't see where my line is landing, and that's very bad when you need to draw thin, precise lines that join up nicely with other thin, precise lines.

Calibration was useless because even if I did it (offset the tip so i can see the cursor), it would work fine in windows, but not in the drawing apps.

This article blew away the mist that had shrouded my eyes for almost 2 years, and I can finally see where I'm drawing now... I'm in precision heaven.... :D

deviantART: fox-orian's Journal: Your Tablet PC and Drivers, Calibrating the Pen

*do take note that this is assuming you have no problems with the tablet drivers....

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  2. wolfroolz

wolfroolz Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you try the Fujitsu driver mentioned in the article? If so what computer are you using? I am curious about trying it in my TM2, however am worried about messing up my current settings, which seem to be adaquete.

3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

no i didn't, as my drivers are working fine as well. I have a 2730p.

For me at least, the article properly differentiated between microsoft's calibration and wacom's, and how to disable microsoft's calibration to calibrate my pen in drawing apps.

That's an itch I've always been trying to scratch without success, until this.

4. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

i have hp pavilion 2650ew and after a few DAYS of "installs" things on my pc i can give you a few advices:

1) DO IT, IT WORKS!!!(read the article from deviant art)

2) you can find a fujitsu drivers for both: "only pen" and "dual touch" devices (on fujitsu page>drivers on search write dual touch and than click on some model and you will get drivers (i dont remember what model i chose, sth 700, 900 sth like this))

3) the main knowledge from this article is that there is a two different types of calibrations> windows and wacom. tuturial from deviant art shows:
    a) how to install best drivers (from fujitsu)
    b) how to use the wacom calibration and use it in an art programs (!sic)

4) art apps:
    a) AUTODESK SKETCH BOOK PRO (its so sad becouse that program is very good (fast one and have ctr+z on the screen)) use only "windows mode" of calibration so ...its imposible to get a good results of calibration on this app. make a test> zoom on the canvas and try to paint> in my case position get huge offset from the pen.
    b)in photoshop on windows mode i get a ****ty start on every time i wanted to draw a fast line. imposible to work. on wacom mode its just fine.
    c) painter> thats the best app for me. good calibration, and perfect lines. slower than A SBP but really, its good enought.
    TIP::: painter>preferences>and there you can find a tester for your pen. VERY usefull. (there you can test on pen pressure and check the drivers> you shouldnt have a gaps in a "dots line")
    d) best is artrage. i setup this program that i have zoom in\out and pan on the pen buttons also hide\show ui. only on 2 buttons. on asus ep 121 you can use your fingers for that >>nice<<

so after a few days of work that HP should done!!! i get a really good device for sketching! better than i expected! (for only 500$ )(its to bad the screen have gradients-.- (that screen is the ****** thing i ever had in my hands) imposible to paint on that screen, only sketches.

i have hope that i helped you ;p

5. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you sure about that web page? It says that TPC digitizer hardware is the same as recent Graphire and Bamboo tablets so the pens are interchangeable. I was under the impression that they are not.

:)ensen.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All this article describes is how to calibrate the Wacom mode, the calibration used by Photoshop and other art programs.

The Microsoft calibration remains untouched, so no improvement. So you still have an offset at the edges. Or am I wrong?

The Wacom calibration may get improved, however, I doubt that a two point calibration can give you accurate results across the whole display. Maybe in an area of 90% of the display it shifts the pen dot below the pen tip after the calibration, however, at the edges it probably suffers from the same issues the MS calibration does.

So it's rather a guide to remove a constant pen offset in art programs.

Or am I wrong?

7. kurt_hectic

Yes! you are right. Thats the main advantage of the wacom calibration -> right now i can work on painter and have a lot of fun with that ;) on 80% of the screen (on the middle) offset is less than 1mm. You are also right with that the problem is still near corners of the screen, there offset is bigger.
    (on windows mode is less near corners but it have 1-2mm offset on all area of the screen)

Btw. For me huge info was that the sketch book pro can use only windows mode becouse that was mystery for my why i loose calibration after zoom in;/

So...After all there is no medicine for all problems but for artists it change a lot. now im so happy that i have that device -.-

Btw. I forgot to write about "finger mode" ...in windows\firefox ect. i use finger becouse i have dual touch... and for finger i have...3rd callibration. To get finger calibration i must after every system start execute 3 files from fujitsu drivers folder(i copy\paste shortcuts to autostart): wtocuhCLP, wtocuhService, wtocuhUser... After this i execute one again...one of these, didnt remember witch one but on of this 3 and after this i have a window where i can calibrate finger mode and its turned on and works fine.
    Plz dont ask...i dont know why "finger mode" didnt install correctly and why i havnt got icon on control panel. Its so sic i even figure out this and it works. It takes 4 days :eek:

if you have some questions just ask.

And still i have request for admins to stick this info on every subforum of this forum. im a newbie ;p but imo its important.

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

thank you for the detailed answer.

I moved it to the hardware forum, cause it's a general Wacom related guide

9. kurt_hectic

update:

1)after all, problems in photoshops has gone (i check out now) so i can work fine in painter and p.shop. (on only windows mode beginning of line is...bad)

2)for dual touch...download fujitsu drivers from article (PEN_WACOM_V5.1.1-11c_WIN7_FPC46-1643-01.EXE) pen and fingers will works (a while ago that file was broken and unable to download so i havnt got opportunity to check)

3)when you will be in wacom calibration (2 points) use that tip from the screen, about pressing with offset on crosses to reduce later cursor offset.
    i take about 20 tries and i reduce offset near borders.

btw. i also have a 15' cintiq and honesly tablets pc's ...i spend a lot time in bad with my tablet pc ;p but they need a new technology-from cintiq's...maybe that new asus will be step forward. he have some "best wacom digitizer". :rolleyes:

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

How relevant are these instructions today?

I am wondering, cause I noticed that unchecking the "press and hold to right click" option did NOT deactivate the Microsoft calibration.... the calibration still looked the same, (4 points on screen.)

Did Microsoft fix this convenient glitch? If so, how will I ever calibrate using the Wacom driver???

Also, I noticed my cursor is in a constant state of slightly to the left of the digitzer, but if I flip the screen and it auto rotates 180 degrees, the cursor is in the same offset, just because my hand is now writing from the other side, it is under my stylus to the right so I can't see where I am drawing. Annoying, I should be able to calibrate to have it where I need it, but I am not having much success. I wonder if it is because I am unable to calibrate the wacom settings? It is offset worse in windows mode though, in Photoshop, it's not as bad, oddly.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.