How's it going in Surface Land?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by xrayzebra, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

After waiting a month for delivery and then spending way too much time reading threads and working through the issues with a Venue11, I've decided to send it back and consider an SP instead.

I been broke down on the road too long to go back and start over - is there any good samaritan who will give me a few links to the most important threads you think I should read before buying a Surface? What predominant issues are users having, what work arounds and shortcomings am I going to have to tolerate, etc?

I've been using Windows tablets a ~very~ long time, just older ones like Fujitsu Stylistics, LifeBooks and Q models. My expectations definitely have nothing at all to do with Android or Apple devices - I'm about to replace a Q550, and hoping I can find a suitable tablet and laptop replacement that runs full featured applications smoothly and a stylus system as good as a Wacom desktop digitizer. I hear the Surface Wacom system is working out better than the Dell Synaptics failure. Frankly, I don't even care if it's Windows 8 device, I was fine with Win 98, 2000, XP, and 7 on prior tablets - it's just that the Win 8 devices are hitting the market so much cheaper than old school pro tablets.

I guess my unrealistic expectation is to find something that bridges the gap between the reliability/predictability of a $1200 to $1700 Fujitsu and an $800 Venue 11 7130 that actually works well. Am I going to be as totally disappointed with a Surface?

Not expecting anyone to take time to do a full summary - just, if you have some favorite threads that tell the story, give me a couple clues?

Or, if you know of any other tablet, even close, that "works well," feel free to volunteer names. Samsung, Asus, Sony, I am not ruling out anything just trying to avoid paying hundreds more for another Fujitsu. I'm open to convertible form factors like swivels and bend-backs as well. Do I have to jump back out of the new school category of Win 8 tablets to get a decent Baytrail or Haswell performance tablet that is not completely experimentally buggy?

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Surface Pro 2 with 8GB RAM / 256GB storage is darned near perfect in my book. It could be thinner and lighter, and the screen could be larger, but that's about it.

3. Dajinn

Dajinn Pen Pal - Newbie

You could get the SP1 128GB for 599 right now at best buy.

4. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a venue 8 Pro for a couple weeks, the Dell/Synaptic stylus was a disaster and can't even remotely compare to the Wacom in the Surface Pros. From what you posted I think the Surface Pro 2 would be a great option. I use mine daily and love it.

Definitely worth considering.

5. xrayzebra

xrayzebra Scribbler - Standard Member

So, not much grumbling here, about bugginess and usability issues.

Thanks for tips in good buys, guys, but I'm really kinda trying to see if there's consensus about acceptable reliability right out of the box.

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think you'll hear the sound of crickets, @xrayzebra. The Surface Pro 1 and 2 have been very reliable except for a recent update that Microsoft ended up pulling (although I installed it the day it was released and everything went smoothly). I've also encountered a few users who had issues with digitizer inaccuracy in the corners of the tablet, but I've also thankfully not experienced those troubles either.

7. Dayton

Dayton Scribbler - Standard Member

Other than the December firmware disaster, yet to be resolved, I have no complaints.

8. lancorp

lancorp Scribbler - Standard Member

I just did today. Almost bought a couple days ago at $679 and checked this morning and saw $599 (and 18 months interest free credit!).

I also have a Venue 8 64GB that is going back. A single USB 2.0 port is very limiting. I also bought a Plugable USB 3.0 Dock so I'll have some fun making all this work.

9. negative1

negative1 Scribbler - Standard Member

i was in the same boat as the original poster.

after reading all the reports, i'm getting a used surface pro 128G off ebay
    for less than the best buy price. and in equally good condition.

my last tablet pc was a fujitsu stylistic 5112, so it's a big adjustment.

one thing, is i don't really want windows 8 on it, so i will probably try
    installing windows 7, or XP if possible on it. i don't really need or want
    any of the new features that comes with the newer ones, and almost all
    my software runs under XP. i know they both have backwards compatibility,
    but just running plain XP will save some space, and probably have better
    performance. the issue will be finding drivers. maybe some hacked vista ones
    might work on windows 7, if that's as low as i am willing to put up with.

*UPDATE : looks like XP on surface is a no go
    ------------------------------------------------------
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...47af35/is-ms-surface-can-install-in-window-xp

*UPDATE 2 : looks like windows 7 is a no go also:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com...dows-7-on-a-surface-pro?forum=w8itprohardware

later
    -1`

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.