How well does the Samsung Ativ Tab 3 run windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by fupatab, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't torture yourself by getting a Atom Z2760 tablet for full Windows, whether it is Windows 8 or 8.1. My experience with the ATIV 500T was that it was quite slow, even for simple tasks like OneNote. Yes, the digitizer is great, but the CPU is very slow if you try to run more than one thing at a time.

Bay Trail feels at least twice as fast, so I would recommend you wait for more options to come out, or get the Venue 8/11 Pro and hope you get a good digitizer pen. I upgraded to a Dell Venue 8 Pro, and despite the stylus not being quite as good as Wacom (it's not too bad if you get a good pen), the tablet just screams compared to the ATIV 500T I had.

Another reason that the ATIV tablets feel slow is due to the slow eMMC flash memory. Here's a disk benchmark on the 500T:

[​IMG]

And here's a benchmark on the Venue 8 Pro.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and the ATIV tablets do not support TRIM, so disk performance only gets worse with time.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    sven.hassel likes this.
  2. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I basically disabled a few services here and there, removed any software that wasn't required and stayed away from any additional software like iTunes or Google Chrome. I could detail but I've done it so many times that you might as well search for ANY of my older posts for what I disabled.

3. Poodle

Poodle Pen Pal - Newbie

I needed a tablet now for lab work. AT3 was the only one that met my demands. Q584 is delayed here and I got the impressions it got some issues so I won't order one from abroad. I have a Toughbook also in the lab so if I need something more powerful I can sit down and do it. But for doing notes I need something that is the same size and weight or as close as possible to a real paper notebook.

I have worked with Visio some today with AT3, and I never got upset over the performance. It was ok. Sure it is a fresh machine and I have uninstalled lots of apps. Norton was the first to go. Maybe it will feel slower down the road.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. 996gt2

996gt2 Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are not multitasking, the Atom Z2760 CPU does fine. But the minute you try to multitask and open a few tabs in Chrome while using MS Office apps, you will notice the slowdown. Also, in web browsing, the Z2760 is very slow to load web pages compared to Bay Trail.

5. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

I have the Ativ 500t, which also has the z2760 processor. The tablet handles all office work just fine. Sometimes I have Onenote, word, and internet explorer open without a problem. The biggest issue that I have with the tablet is the lame palm rejection. I don't know if that is a problem on the ativ tab 3 though. The other thing that bothers me is that you won't be able to do any real pdf related work. Adobe acrobat, foxit reader, and all the other full fledged desktop pdf suites run slow on the tablet. The windows 8 pdf app viewers (the ones from the windows store) run fine, so you can view pdfs smoothly that way.

6. cayetanovp

cayetanovp Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear Excalibur, I have been looking for the information, but could not find it.
    Could you please provide a link o write it again, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.