How to use a tablet comfortably?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by davidd31415, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feralboy

Feralboy Scribbler - Standard Member

A lot of people hat the battery hump...but when actually using it in slate mode, I often wish the hump were a little higher! Even love it in laptop mode.

2. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, mine is not DIY but I'll show you all it any ways:

This is my desk at home. Its an Ergotron arm with the notebook tray. I put the TM2 in tablet mode and I put small velcro pads on the back just to make sure it stays put.

[​IMG]

This is my portable stand. It actually all folds up into itself. The little fingers flip down, the legs retract into the upper legs, the legs close, and then it folds over. This thing is pretty useful for school or travel.

[​IMG]

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I don't have a TM2, but...

That Ergotron system that electronbee has is NICE. I'm quite jealous.

I have a Lapdawg stand. It's okay. I'd still like something like the Ergotron at home so I could lounge on my back and hang my tablet upside down over my head. That would make reading so very comfortable, although I'd probably be so comfortable that I'd fall asleep every 10 pages.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@electronbee
    Thats a nice setup, I'd prefer to have the HDMI port as well (but my external screen is ancient). How far can you tilt it (before you start to worry about it falling)? Have you used that stand (tripod thing) on desks only, or on your lap too, it looks cool. (BTW I hate wireless keyboards and mice, they never work well, I've never spent more than 50 on one though, how do they work for you?)

I thought about buying something like that... then I thought about making my own (I wouldn't trust the materials I'd build it out of, I'd always be worrying [like the reason you put Velcro on it]) but its too expensive for me, plus my desk area is small (so is the room its in) so it was never a real option for me sadly.:(

I want something that would hang from a track in my ceiling, Tm2 at any angle, height, and distance from you. It would probably be bulky (and expensive) but sooo cool. maybe a remote control for it too? :D

EDIT: I just noticed you are using your pen lanyard, even at your desk. I've almost lost my pen a few times but its easy to find, and I'll soon be getting that Axitron pen (hopefully it works *crossing fingers) so my Tm2's will be a backup.

5. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe, maybe you could have it over your head if you were to mount the laptop tray "upside down". Right now, it's all the way down as it will go and that's the most "forward" angle. But, if you were to flip it upside down you'd just invert its current angle and that would be the "new" lower angle. I think I will try that as sometimes I wish it could be a little more forward (like when I slouch in my chair).

I have only used the tripod thing on a hard surface. I don't think it will work well on your legs as it only has one rear leg. But, it could probably support the TM2 on a bed or pillow assuming neither caved in. You can adjust the height of it and maybe it stand really tall or really flat.

I love mine bluetooth. I bought the mouse first at Microcenter. It's an OEM MS bluetooth mouse and it was real cheap. Like $20 or something crazy. I was town between that mouse and the "presenter" mouse that flips over and has volume control buttons, etc on the bottom so then you can use it as a remote. But, even a cheap price for that super-mouse is a lot.

The keyboard and numeric keypad are also bluetooth. I like them all. The keyboard is super slim, slides into my backpack real easy, and the ergonomic shape is nice. I also like that the numeric keypad is separate as I rarely use those so having that off and having the mouse closer is my preference. There is a slight delay when the devices fall alseep, a few seconds, but you have to be away for a bit for that to happen. Like, walking the dogs or something.

I also thought about cheaper alternatives and I looked and looked. And I did not like anything that I saw so I saved up for the Ergotron. Well worth the money as it is fairly robust. The TM2 will jiggle a bit if there is a lot of vibration but for the most part it is super solid. I like how I can pull it in real close to me or move it closer to the secondary screen when I do a lab report or something. It does what it does very well. I am saving up for another one for my secondary monitor.

I always have my pen on a lanyard. I normally use my laptop at school so that's a must with my sliding the TM2 in and out of my bookbag. At home I typically use my ArtzII pen as it has the second button.

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I merged two threads together -the "What do you guys use to prop up your Tm2" and the "how to comfortably use a Tablet PC"- so the posts are in one place and not scattered about. If you have other threads that should be merged with this one please PM me the links

I will be editing my post later with pictures of the K-nex stand I have been using with great success on both my Tablet PC's

If you have a cool stand you are using, or a different way to use a Tablet PC, please post it :)

7. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

lately, and this sounds lazy..
    but i lie on my back, and put the tablet
    on my stomach... haha..

after a few hours, i alternate and lie on my side.

can't do a whole lot of writing. but i'm typing
    this post, and working on photoshop this way..

later

8. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

I've found that if I lie on my bed/sofa working on the tabletPC in slate mode resting on my stomach and legs, I get a sore neck rather quickly from looking down towards it. So I just roll up a towel tightly and put it across my tummy, then prop up the tablet on top of that, so that the screen is at knee-heigt and I can look straight ahead towards it. Initially I just used a pillow, but after a while the tablet's weight makes it sort of sink into the pillow, so a towel works better.

9. negative1

negative1 Retro Surface fan

thanks for the tip.
    also i use it mostly in landscape mode,
    rarely ever in portrait mode. that helps
    a lot.

later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.