How to Upgrade the Wifi Card on a 4210/4215

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Rieuk, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

I use SyncToy from Microsoft to keep my desktop and tablet synced up. I have a Gigabit wired network running and noticed the huge speed difference when syncing over that vs. my 802.11g network. So I decided to upgrade my WAP to a pre-N WAP and also upgrade my Wifi card. This is really easy to do:

1. Search and buy a Dell 1500 wifi card. This is a Draft 802.11n/b/g mini expresscard. Ebay link. This should be around $40.
    2. Turn off your tablet and flip it over. On the back in the center close to the back of your tablet there are three screws with arrows on them. They kind of look like they are holding the screen onto the tablet as they are right below the hinge the screen sits on. Unscrew the screw that is furthest from the back edge of the laptop. This allows the small piece above the keyboard's function keys to come off.
    3. Remove the small 1" by 12" or so peice above the keyboard (it has a rotate button). This can be accomplished with a flathead screwdriver. Just slip it under the Esc key and push a little bit up. You may need to wiggle it a little as you try to pop it up. It feels like it will break off, but it is just a little latch on the left side that is keeping it in (and that screw which you unscrewed). If it is really tough, make sure you got the right screw. If you did, the middle should be able to be pried up relatively easily. If you feel tension there by the F7 and F8 keys you probably didn't get the right screw. After you get the left side up, move the screwdriver closer to the middle and pop that up. It helps if you push down the F7 and F8 keys as you do this as that is where the screw was and there is a little nub there that gets in the way.
    4. Lift up the keyboard. It should lift freely now although it is a little sticky.
    5. You will see the mini pci express wifi card in the middle. It will have two leads going into it; one black and one gray. Unplug both of those but remember which went where.
    6. Your old wifi card may have a little square rubber nub. I recomend removing this nub and putting it on the new card in the same spot.
    7. Put in your new wifi card, reconnecting the leads back where they were on the old card (black cable goes to black, gray goes to white).
    8. Close it back up.
    9. Go to support.dell.com and go to Drivers and Downloads. Tell it your system is the Inspiron 1750 I think. That should bring up a page with Drivers. Download the driver for your OS (XP or Vista). It should be noted that Vista already has a built-in driver, but I wanted to make sure I had the latest one.
    10. This driver once run will extract into a folder; be sure you remember where that is. It will then run the driver setup program and fail, which is fine. It is seeing if you have a Dell, which you don't.
    11. Go to the Device Manager and manually update the driver by pointing the Driver Update Wizard to the directory where the driver was extracted (and the drivers subfolder within that folder).
    12. Viola!

Obviously you can void your warranty blah blah blah be careful I assume no risk for your mistakes. If you aren't comfortable taking things apart then probably you shouldn't do this.

BTW You should keep your old wifi card in case you need to get warranty repair (you should put it back in before they see it...otherwise they will blame whatever it was on the wifi card).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Freeman

Freeman Scribbler - Standard Member

I did uprade my fujitsu s6210 in the similar manner as well, it's a painless process, but i personally would wait for the final spec of the 802.11n. not to mention the bluetooth function that might goes missing after the upgrade.

3. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah from what I've read the draft 802.11n is pretty much it (compatible with the final). My bluetooth works fine after the upgrade BTW...I think it is is a separate card near the wifi card on the 4215 as I saw another card with an antenna hooked to it when I was swapping the wifi card.

4. jroosth

jroosth Pen Pal - Newbie

That sounds like the old game of GUTS to me...or CHICKEN. Or let me put it another way....you got some balls there brother. I've upgraded memory and hard drives on me lappys, but getting under the keyboard......again, my hats off to you partner

5. jroosth

jroosth Pen Pal - Newbie

BUT, and this is not related, but maybe you gurus can help..what else is there under the hood of the 4215 that could be upgraded? Processors? Video?

Uhm if that is retarded, the forgive me; I'm only an end user when it comes to lappys and tabbys. ....have built a number of desktops.....back a LONG time ago, I took my 286 in and this guy at the computer store let me watch as he bolted all the guts back in on my new 386 board and that was all the lesson I needed for a very long time......

6. Freeman

no, the CPU and GPU aren't upgradeable, that's the thing about the lappy and tabby. Well, there are some lappy that allow CPU upgrade, but that pretty much it. Although there could be some other major hack like internal USB port for AV1020.

7. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well we had a discussion about this a while back on here when the Core 2 Duo's came out. Graphics cards are not upgradeable but CPUs on Fujitsu's are not soldier so theoretically you could upgrade it but you maybe need a BIOS update. Sound is also build in so no luck there. So basically you can change out the RAM, HDD, CPU, Wireless, Bluetooth, keyboard, and touchpad cards.

8. Freeman

keyboard & touch pad? I know you can swap them out if they are defective, but replacing with difference brand/model? I don't think you will have it fit. Also, I think the keyboard controller isn't build into the key, it's onboard also. I'm not sure about the touchpad though.

9. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you know how I might be able to increase the sensitivity on my space bar? My right thumb depresses it on the right side of the key, and every second time it doesn't register... it's driving me insane!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.