1. The TabletPCReview forum will be read-only (no new posts) for approximately 15 minutes between 4-4:30 p.m. EST on Wednesday as we update to the latest platform version. Please plan accordingly so you don't lose any work.

How to unlock Secondary Landscape Orientation on the T5010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Grimnir, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

If you want to unlock the Secondary Landscape Orientation you will find the guide on Page 3 of this thread. I still suggest you read over the entire thread, or at least skim over it.

Original thread is as follows:

Hey guys,
    I contacted Intel to find out why the Intel GMA x4500 driver did not support secondary landscape orientation. Here is the message I sent to Intel. Be warned, this is a lot to read ;D

To which I receieved a response of:
    I tried what they reccomended. I downloaded the drivers off the intel site and tried to update the driver installed with the "Have disk" method because I was getting the "This driver is not verified for your system" (not verbatim) error.

I sent another e-mail, which said:
    The final response from Allan, the tech is as follows:
    Conclusion: It is confirmed that the tablet hardware is capable (which is what I thought. It'd be completely rediculous if it was not able to!) of displaying secondary landscape, but it is somehow locked.

So...I am going to eventually call Fujitsu and ask them about this as well as the wobbly power plug connector. I want to know if they disabled secondary landscape...and why. Oh, and how to FIX it.

I thought of uninstalling the driver for the GMA but I wasn't sure if that would make my screen go blank, or if my processor would take on the graphics task whilst forcefully installing the downloaded Intel driver. Anyone care to advise?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also don't recommend unistalling the graphics drivers. It happend twice, but with XP, that I had a blank screen in the end and had to install the graphic drivers sightless. That was not funny.

Have you tried the zip file and the device manager or the exe file with the setup to install the drivers?

Last option is a blank Vista with the intel drivers installed the first time, and not the Fujitsu drivers.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

strange that you got a blank screen at best you should have had generic drivers replacing your uninstalled drivers, the generic drivers won't offer the correct resolution etc available & sleep, hibernate etc would be missing, but you would be able to see.

I have no reservations about advising someone to remove or uninstall graphics drivers.

4. Frank

I thought this, too, that's why I've removed the old ones to make a "clean" update :D , sadly I saw nothing after a reboot and after windows booted up, I tried every output, like DVI, VGA, video, tried it with VNC viewer, but sadly saw nothing. Happened with a Geforce 3 in a desktop and with ATI don't know the name in a notebook.
    Well, since then I don't uninstall any graphic driver :) or at least I would try to avoid a reboot after I've uninstalled one.

5. Grimnir

Frank,
    I'd tried with the .exe from the Intel site. I can try again with the .zip file, and yes I tried through device manager and the "have disk" method.

You know what? I still have the hard disk drive that came with the T5010, its got the operating system on it and nothin' else (i swapped drives as soon as I got it. Didn't even turn it on). I'll try messing with the graphics drivers on THAT hard disk drive (after backing up :X) and seeing if I can get secondary landscape to work.

6. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

I just can't believe they (whoever did it) would actually disable secondary landscape. It sucks. Thanks for all your work tracking down an answer, and please keep us updated!

7. Frank

Ok, Grimnir, let's do some little driver modification.
    What exactly you have to do, don't know, but here is a possible way which should unlock the fourth orientation: :D

Download the latest official Fujitsu graphics driver.
    Extract the .exe file in a folder. Open him, inside open the graphics folder, there open the "kit14103.inf" file with notepad.

After you've opened it we will see in the first lines a few intersting comments, like
    Well, we are on the right way.

So let's search for the term "rotation" in this file.
    You will find a few places where you can change some flags and some entries. What exactly you have to modify, I don't know.

But I think one of this two ways should work:
    1. Search for the term "FJ_Enable_Limited_Rotation.AddReg" and replace the term with "FJ_Enable_Rotation.AddReg". Two times, don't replace the term which is between the two brackets (see point below)

2. search for "[FJ_Enable_Limited_Rotation.AddReg]" and remove the first four lines
    After you've done one of the two options, save the file and install the driver.

I hope that everything is "unlocked" now.

8. Grimnir

Frank,
    I will try the above in a moment. Let me turn on my PC and replace the hard drive.

I'll do driver mods on that hard drive, but I won't do bios tweaks or anything that may flash them dead on accident xD

Edit:
    Okay I have the old hard drive in and I'm updating the review to reflect the crap I'm finding on this factory direct vs the install I did.

Downloading Fujitsu driver now Frank ;D

9. Grimnir

Frank,
    Downloading from Fujitsu's support site only gives me an .exe file. There is no .zip file.

are you talking about the available download from Intel? The zip file from them does contain a graphics file, but no kit14103.inf file.

10. jonjon1138

jonjon1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

Frank, have you tried going into Safe Mode [F8] and removing the driver from there? You should be able to see with the standard VGA driver.

11. Grimnir

I'm on the T5010 right now.

I can now confirm that the T5010's display driver is modified by Fujitsu. I uninstalled it (the VGA driver kicked in) and I then installed the driver available from intel.

Heres a screen shot showing 180 (secondary landscape) orientation unlocked and HOT KEYS! :D They hid them too, those bastards!

Theres only one problem to solve now. The rotation button on the screen bezel only rotates to primary landscape, portrait and secondary portrait. Investigating in Control Panel under Tablet PC settings shows that TPC settings only allows you to 0 (primary landscape), 90 (primary portrait) and 270 (secondary portrait) degree orientations despite the 180 degree being unlocked.

See screenshot.

[​IMG]

I suspect there is a registry key that can be edited..?

12. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

Wow, that is the coolest thing ever! Did you do it the way Frank said? Or just install the Intel driver? More details for the less registry and driver literate, please! If I can get my wireless to stop acting up and get secondary landscape working on this thing, I will be sooo happy :) I simply cannot understand why on earth somebody actually took the time to lock secondary landscape. Couldn't they have been working on fixing the wireless card issues instead? ;) Thanks Frank and Grimnir, it's too bad I can't give you two any rep anymore unless I go rep some other folks first ...

13. Grimnir

I think I have managed to find the guilty registry entry blocking secondary landscape from the Tablet PC Settings in the control panel.

Aptly, the registry key is called "DisplayOrientation180" and the registry value which is the culprit must be ISDV4. I'll try to figure out how to edit this to bring back full orientation functionality. I have already tried to delete the registry key to no avail. It does not put secondary landscape back into Tablet PC options.

See screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Flybane,
    I can't figure out why on earth they would lock out secondary landscape either. They obviously had to try very hard to do this...lol.

As for what I've done to unlock 180 degree rotation, don't worry about it yet. I will release explicit directions once I have finished troubleshooting the problem with some sort of partial or full fix. As it stands right now I can rotate my screen 180 degrees but it does not function with the rotate screen button on the screen bezel near the power button, nor does Vista itself recognize that secondary landscape is available to it (hence it not being present in Tablet PC Settings)

14. Flybane

Flybane Tablet Convert

Thanks Grimnir, I eagerly await your results! I was so crushed when I found out there was no secondary landscape... to not have to unplug my stuff to work in landscape would be so great. I would give you like +10 rep if I only could! :D :D :D

15. Frank

The exe file you've downloaded from the Fujitsu site is a compressed package.
    I used winrar to extract it. Maybe you can also rename the .exe to .zip, so you can use windows in-built zip program, but I don't know if this works.

But well, if it works with the intel drivers, then it's easier.

16. Grimnir

Frank,
    I'll try renaming the exe as a .zip and see if that works. Still however, that will not solve the issue with the Tablet PC settings not recognizing that Secondary Landscape is now available.

Also, here are the hexadecimal values in the suspect registry value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Tablet PC\TiltData\DisplayOrientation180

In the DisplayOrientation180 subkey is a REG_SZ with the name (Default) and (value not set) in the data column.

Under it is a REG_NONE titled ISD V4 which contains hex values as follows:
    Code:
    0000   40 00 00 00 02 00 00 00   @.......
    0008   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ........
    0010   00 80 00 00 00 80 00 00   ........
    0018   00 00 00 00 02 00 02 00   ........
    0020   19 03 F5 04 66 03 47 05   ..õ.f.G.
    0028   B3 7C F5 04 00 7C 8F 06   ³|õ..|..
    0030   19 03 B8 7A 66 03 EB 79   ..¸zf.ey
    0038   B3 7C B8 7A 00 7C C2 79   ³|¸z.|Åy

17. Grimnir

Would someone be able to do me a favor and try to find that exact registry key in your system if your TPC has all of the available orientations unlocked within Tablet PC settings and you are able to rotate the screen to ANY of them using the rotate screen button on your screen bezel and post a screen shot of it?

I would like to compare the hexadecimal values within ISD V4 if you have it.

18. Frank

You've unlocked the other tablet buttons, so you know this how-to:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=7723

In the "subfolder" "TabletPC" is not only "TabletButtons" but also "DisplayOrientations", when you open this folder how many subfolder contains it? Four or only three.
    Maybe you just have the create the fourth folder and the right values to "unlock" the screen orientation in Vista, too.

Although I have XP here is how my subfolder looks like:
    registry.jpg

19. Grimnir

Excellent frank. Its not an issue of not being able to program the screen rotation button, but if you see in my screenshot from before there just isnt a secondary landscape option to even choose.

Would you mind opening up the two REG_DWORD entries in your registry and taking a screen capture of their contents so I might copy them directly and create the "Secondary Landscape" folder, because it does not exist!

20. Frank

No problem. I hope the XP values are similar to the Vista values :)
    orientationreg.jpg