How to turn the display off without stopping my download ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by manuelcalavera, Feb 2, 2013.

1. manuelcalavera

manuelcalavera Scribbler - Standard Member

That's all I'm concerned about.

2. sinni800

sinni800 Pen Pal - Newbie

If this really doesn't work out and you're unable to turn off the screen without triggering the sleep mode, how about getting a seperate device for downloading files? Like a Raspberry Pi, it takes almost no power and runs off an 1 amp USB power. Only downloading it would use substantially less than 5 Watts.

Just an idea if it really does not work.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If all the methods you tried didn't work, I believe you may be out of luck... maybe you can try this one:
    - Download and install AutoHotkey from here AutoHotkey
    - Once it's installed, right click anywhere in Windows Explorer or on your Desktop and choose New -> AutoHotkey Script
    - Name the file anything you want
    - Open the file in a text editor like Notepad
    - Replace all the text with the following:
    SendMessage, 0x112, 0xF170, 2,, Program Manager
    - Save and close the file

When you double-click the file, it should turn off the display. At least this works on all versions of Windows all the way up to Win7. I'm guessing that some of the other things you tried may have been using the same command, so I'm not sure this will be any different.

Good luck!

4. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

This problem doesn't seem to be related directly to Windows 8. Turning off the display without sleeping works on non-Clover Trail devices.

5. manuelcalavera

lblb,

AutoHotKey triggers the sleep mode either.

Updated the first post.

6. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem is that with clover trails (and this will likely be true for haswell also), the Si0x mode is engaged when you turn the display off. This means you need to use an application that is aware of connected standby. You could try to disable the power management for your network adapter but I doubt it will work. You need an updated downloader that can continue performing network tasks while in connected standby.

Jerry Nixon: Windows 8: Connected Standby

Essentially if the application isn't use a background task, it will not be able to receive any data. I'd suggest turning of connected standby if you can figure out how. I am sure its possible but my CT tablet isn't accessible atm so I can't check. The thing to remember is that this is a limitation of the platform not really Windows 8.

7. sinni800

sinni800 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I am an application developer, I will look if it's easy to implement connected standby downloading.

Meanwhile, could you guys please test something? It might just work!

Open a PowerShell window (search for it in the "start menu")

Type this:

Import-Module bitstransfer
    $transfer = Start-Bitstransfer -Source 'http://your.download.file' -Destination 'c:\somefile.exe' -Asynchronous

If you want to check the progress of your Bitstransfer in %, type this (keep the window open! it is not needed for the transfer itself, but for the reference to the running transfer, $transfer). Otherwise, you can get it with "Get-Bitstransfer" probably.

($transfer.BytesTransferred / $transfer.BytesTotal) * 100

If the percentage reaches 100 %, the file will not be readable right away. You have to do

$transfer | Complete-Bitstransfer

If you want to pause the download, do

$transfer | Suspend-Bitstransfer

Similarly, if you want to resume:

$transfer | Resume-Bitstransfer

If you want to break the download, first Suspend, then do:

$transfer | Remove-Bitstransfer

You can get all Bitstransfer commands by doing

Get-Command *bitstransfer

The background of this is that BITS, the intelligent background transfer service, is used by Windows internally to download files all the time. Windows Updates are, for example, all downloaded by BITS. At this rate it might just continue downloading in connected standby since it's internal to windows.

If you want to manage multiple downloads in the same console window with this method, use a different name for $transfer. Just replace it in all instances.

8. manuelcalavera

This is a posted comment from AngieAndretti in Lenovo forums :

9. unconn3cted

unconn3cted Pen Pal - Newbie

manuelcalavera

I was so hopeful your advice would work. But it didn't. I have a similar problem for quite a bit now on acer iconia w700.
    I think it all started at one of the 8.1 windows updates. Whenever i try to switch screen off the computer goes into sleep/standby mode cutting off power and internet. As i use the tablet as my multimedia center and play music out of deezer - the fact it goes to sleep ruins the whole purpose of having it as my multimedia center. So basically "turn of the screen" = "sleep"

I removed all third party acer bu$%#hit software killed all the unnecessary startup elements. Did the registry fixes and tried all the software. And still its doing the same. If there is going to be any other solutions.
    Please let me know that would be really helpful.

ps.
    at some point it worked normally. Difference between sleep / screenOF worked fine. It just changed one day that what pisses me off the most.
    thanks for the help

best,
    a.

10. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member