1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

How to Turn off Screen in Tablet Mode?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Red October, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Red October

Red October Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear all,

I have a quick question concerning the tablet mode. How do I turn off my screen while my X60T is in tablet mode? To turn off the screen in the laptop mode, all I have to do is to use the Fn+F3. However, there is no access to the key board in tablet mode. What can I do? Thanks so much for the help!

Best,
    R.O.
  2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member

You can purchase software that will do this (and other things) Red.

But have you considered either bringing up the screen keyboard and hitting the key combination?

Another option is to copy a screen saver of a blank screen to the Desktop and when you launch it, it shuts the screen down.
  3. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

The TIP (Tablet Input Panel) doesn't have a Fn key, so that's not going to work.

Also, a screen saver doesn't actually shut the display down, which I believe Red October wants to do to save battery.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way. The best alternative is to set your display to turn off after 1 minute of idle time.
  4. P8RSON

It may not have a Fn key but you can select it from the shortcut menu next to the Start Bar.

As to the screen saver, no it doesn't shut the display down but select 'Blank' and what it does do is kill all illumination, which will help the battery considerably.

Setting the screen to go blank after one minute is an option but unless you move your cursor every minute you will soon get fed up of the screen going blank when reading.
  5. tgrimley

tgrimley Scribbler - Standard Member

6. P8RSON

Nice one 'T'. :)

I downloaded the small MonOff program and tried it.
    It seems to do the trick..... Although I would like to find out what exactly is the difference with this program and the screen saver scrnsave.scr which blanks the screen.

I've made a shortcut of the scrnsave.scr and ran it from both the Desktop and Start Bar..... Presently I can't see any difference between using this and the small program MonOff.
  7. nightcom

nightcom Pen Pal - Newbie

If you have the Lenovo battery indicator on your taskbar, tap on it and select "Power off Display" in the selection box.
  8. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

I assigned the rotation button as "turn of the display" function
    and repeated press as the rotation function
    no external programs required, and it's one-touch, too :D
  9. Red October

Red October Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys! You guys are great!

Finally I found Nightcom's method most convenient. But again, thank you all for your help!

Best,
    Red October
  10. P8RSON

Pleased you found a convenient method Red. :)
  11. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

This is a common misconception. When the blank screen saver is used, the monitor does not shut off. All the liquid crystal pixels orient themselves so that light does not come through. The backlight is still on, and you won't save yourself battery at all. You can only do that by setting the display itself to turn off after some time.

Having said that, I hadn't thought to check the Power Manager. Nice tip!
  12. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

I honestly thought assigning one of the hardware buttons a shortcut to turn off the screen would be the best solution, as it only requires a single press of the button.
    Was I not clear on my descriptions? (now that I read it, it does seem confusing at first)
  13. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it"