How to transfer a file from Android to Win8 via NFC?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by e-schreiber, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Now, when I tell you that the NFC protocol allows for a transfer off 128 bytes between devices, can you begin to see where your misconception of a "file transfer" comes from. What you need to do is write a small program that the NFC connection calls up that will allow you to transfer files using Wi-Fi direct between your devices. NFC is not an alternative to Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, it is a protocol that allows you to setup additional communications at a simple touch.
    So you need to forget about file transfers using NFC, think of it as a trigger for a macro that will let you transfer files using a protocol like Wi-Fi. Is it clearer now?

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I know that NFC does not make transfers. It merely negotiates the transfer, which is done via WiFi Direct or Bluetooth. However, two phones are capable of negotiating a transfer via NFC, then exchanging the files via WiFi or Bluetooth!

So if two phones can do it, then I expect Win8 to do it too!

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Ok, ok, now I get it. But you still need to activate a file transfer protocol. In the two Android devices they are probably built in with the NFC app, but the Windows device you probably have to write a similar protocol in a Windows NFC app, and to be honest I haven't seen any, but then I haven't looked. From your initial post I was under the impression you expected NFC to do the transfer.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

4. e-schreiber

I downloaded updated Bluetooth drivers from Lenovo, then tried a purely BT transfer. I was able to send files from and to the phone using Bluetooth. It's slow, but it works. I'll try it using NFC as negotiator later. Then, I'll try a purely WiFi Direct transfer last.

5. e-schreiber

Well, I found a way to use WiFi Direct for transfers. I downloaded a freeware utility from Lenovo called SHAREit. Then I installed its Android version on my Note. That's it. Fast transfers from Helix to Note and vice versa with just a couple clicks. Problem solved! No NFC or Bluetooth required.

I don't know if SHAREit is available for non-Lenovo users....

6. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Have you looked into AirDroid for your phone (assuming you have Android). It requires no software on your PC. Very robust and is Free.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

7. e-schreiber

All I needed was to transfer files from one device to the other and SHAREit solved that problem using WiFi Direct. However, I see that AirDroid is a powerful app and may be useful for other things in the future.

Thanks for the tip.

8. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You might also consider using ES File Manager. It has "LAN" feature that basically lets you set up a network drive. Once you've mapped the network drive, you open the drive and copy+paste data to/from the network drive. A lot easier than setting up WiFi Direct. Only downside is that both devices (Android and computer) must be on the same network.

9. e-schreiber

I do not have them networked. I go online on the Helix by tethering it to my Note 3. So WiFi Direct is the best option for me.

10. krystalshawn

krystalshawn Pen Pal - Newbie

I never succeed to transfer data between mobile phones with NFC. If you want to transfer photos in between Android phones, you can directly connect the two phones to the computer and drag and drop the images from one phone to another. But for contacts, messages, call logs, I recommend you to try Phone Transfer.