How to take out the hard drive?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by fezono, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fezono

fezono Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi everyone. Maybe this is a newbie question, but how do you take out the hard drive? I just got a New SSD and I am now attempting to take out the old drive and put the SSD in.

I unscrewed and took away the back Ram and hard drive cover then didn't know what to do next? It seemed the screws that held the HDD were on the side (4 of them) and I couldn't get to them. Does that mean I have to remove the entire back for taking the HDD out? that seems too difficult for doing so with such a new laptop.

Can anyone guide me on how to take out the HDD? Thanks a lot!

2. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

Once you've taken off the back, it's really easy. Just slide the drive backwards away from the connector, and pull out the drive. The screws are there to secure it, but are not fastened to anything but the drive. Hope that helps.

3. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

4. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Get find on that manual - it says you need to shut down the computer in order to remove and 'install' the pen ;-).

5. krighton

krighton Pen Pal - Newbie

the cover of the hd is secured really really tight...i'm afraid i'll snap it in half. Do you have to really pull hard to get it off? (yes the 2 screws are removed).

6. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

There's a little tab under the memory cover, and under the outside edge of the hard drive cover. You have to take off the memory cover to free that tab, and then you have to kind of pull the hard drive cover up and towards the center of the laptop to free the tab that is on the outside edge.