How to set up your Samsung Series 7 Slate for 'Serious Photoshop Work'!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tbaldree, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ditharia,
    I'm guessing it's probably because you had Win8 installed and switched back to Win7. The easiest way to verify would be something like this:
    1) Go to the blog of the developer of the original script on which ArtDock and PaintDock are based:
    RawInputControlTest.ahk BBS
    2) In post #19 of his blog, right-click on the first link (that ends with RawInputControlTest.ahk) and save the file as a ahk script.
    3) From the developer's main page, download the zip file form the link that says "here" at the very top of the page:
    RawInputControlTest.ahk
    4) Extract the content of the zip file anywhere on your computer, then delete the file called RawInputControlTest.ahk in that folder and replace it with the file you downloaded in step 2.
    5) Double-click on this file: a simple panel of buttons should appear on the left side of your screen. Try it out!
    6) If all the buttons are responsive, then we may have to look deeper. If the buttons are unresponsive, then it's probably that your problem is the Win8-to-Win7 issue. If that's the case, see my answer to pingram3541 in post #49 above.

2. pingram3541

pingram3541 Pen Pal - Newbie

It appears for now I'm going to have to use a glove. Win8 touch does not disable even after attempting the updated artdock script, pressing the disable touch button and rebooting. I also tried a modified paintdock script which does allow for pressure but still only disables touch while the pen tip is actively touching the screen...as soon as the tip is lifted even slightly and any portion of my hand is resting on the screen...STREEEEAK!

This is in photoshop, word and inkSeine. I haven't tried other programs.

EDIT: It appears after I rebooted a second time the touch was disabled. I also found a generic device under HID (device manager) that when disabled turns off touch so I can use the pen for an extended period however this also disables the touch capability of the artdock/paintdock scripts too. However it is an alternative to rebooting even though when disabling the specific touch HID from device manager prompts to reboot, it isn't actually necessary.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. tpc_fjg

tpc_fjg Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there - thanks for posting this. I'm messing around making a custom version - can you tell me what Steps= does?

EDIT: the reason I ask is that I can't seem to make the tap (touchkey) work consistently with Sliders... My understanding is that they can have 3 actual functions - up/down(flick or drag) plus center tap, or left/right (flick or drag) plus center tap. is this right?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. lblb

5. tpc_fjg

tpc_fjg Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic! One other question - is there a mode that can be set in order to test the panel buttons with a mouse click? I'd like to iterate on my desktop pc, and then just flip a switch to turn on touch and copy the files to the Slate.

Thanks

6. lblb

If you want to use it with a mouse, here's something you can try. I haven't tried it but in theory I think it should work:

1) To do this, you will need two separate PaintDock files: one for Touch input and the other for mouse input. So make a copy of the PaintDock folder.

2) Set it so that the panel doesn't disappear when the cursor approaches. To do that, open the ahk file and look for "HideOnMouseCursor" and follow the instructions there.

3) The input device that is used by default is the touch input, which is a Human Interface Device (HID). To use a mouse, you need to change the HID setting to a mouse. To do that, search for "RID_Usage" in the ahk document. In the PaintDock file that is uploaded here, this RID_Usage is on line 46. It should be set to 0x04, which as mentioned in the file, corresponds to Touch. If you read lines 40 to 44, it tells you to go in a pdf file and find the code for the HID input method that you want. So go in that pdf file, find the code for Mouse and put it for RID_Usage. Note 1: Touch screen is 0x04 but you may find something slightly different in the pdf file. Consider this slight modification when you input the code for Mouse. Note 2: see on line 45 there is RID_UsagePage that is set to Digitizer? You may also have to play with this (maybe, haven't tried!) Note 3: When looking for the code for the mouse, go through all the list as there may be more than one code that could be applicable (and maybe one of them is going to be better than the others).

Again, I haven't done it, but I think this could work. Also, don't forget that whenever you modify the ahk file, you need to recompile the script if you want to use the exe file instead of the ahk file. (I actually never compile the scripts and just use the ahk file.) Good luck!

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. tpc_fjg

tpc_fjg Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey thanks for the response - I tried a few things as you suggested but no success. Not a big deal since the scripts are working
    fine - just added a keyboard to my s7s...

I'm using a combo of artdock and paintdock, which is a blast. I was wondering if when closing the main menudock, if another
    command could be called to turn on touch - I always forget... it would be cool if it would shut off touch when launching the
    docks as well.

One last thing that would be icing would be to have tap and hold functionality for the sliders (when just hitting the button). This didn't seem possible after reading the
    pdf, but really is minor. The dock can already be made so minimal (in a good way) by making 3 functions per button.

Thanks for the help.

8. lblb

Hey tpc_fjg,

1) Sorry it didn't work. You can also search in the ahk file for HID and/or RID. They show up at a couple other places so you may need to adjust them there also.

2) Unless you change the code, you won't be able to hold down a button with TouchKey. That's because the way the code now works, TouchKey is not associated with something like "when I push the button, do something; and when I release the button, do something else". Furthermore, so that it actually works in conjunction with the slider function, the TouchKey command is actually sent when you release the button (i.e. not when you actually tap the button, but when you "release the tap".)

3) For your other question, there are a few possible ways that you could go about. Here is one:

First, you could create a separate ahk script that would allow you to launch ArtDock, PaintDock and disable touch all at once. A short ahk script with something like this should do:

Run, path_to_PaintDock.ahk
    Run, path_to_ArtDock.ahk
    RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 0
    SendMessage, 0x1A,,,, ahk_id 0xFFFF

Second, to get the other way around (i.e. closing the docks and turning on touch when you close the main dock), you could easily change the command for the Close command (if you prefer doing this, just tell me and I'll tell you how). However, that could ppotentially complicate things when you try to modify the script at a later date. The easiest way then may just be to change the close button from a button of type #Control:Close to a button of type #Control:Key. Then you could just use a subroutine call to do whatever you want. For example, with a button of type #Control:Key (the majority of the buttons that are not sliders are this type of button), just call up a subroutine with this:

DownSub:MySubroutine

Then at the bottom of the ahk file (note: the AHK file), define the subroutine:

MySubroutine:
    DetectHiddenWindows On
    SetTitleMatchMode 2
    WinClose File1.ahk
    WinClose File2.ahk
    RegWrite, REG_DWORD, HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software\Microsoft\Wisp\Touch, TouchGate, 1
    SendMessage, 0x1A,,,, ahk_id 0xFFFF
    ExitApp
    return

I don't have my tablet around to test this, but I think it should work.

9. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd love to have this on my HP elitebook 2740p... I got Win8 tho, I tried to run it, and it disabled touch completely, couldnt get it back either :p
    So I'm trying a restore now. Didnt help to kill the app either

10. Jimmarn

Jimmarn Pen Pal - Newbie

Okey the restore worked, but I gotta install photoshop and everything all over again. That kinda sucks... but that'll do..

I really really want this with my HP 2740p.... It would be sooo helpful...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.