How to set up your Samsung Series 7 Slate for 'Serious Photoshop Work'!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tbaldree, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

No one else getting random key presses without hitting the buttons? This is happening with my own custom build of the script, as well as the one I downloaded from this thread. I don't think it's random touch input from the touch screen hardware, I think it's software related, but could be wrong. It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying…

Any clue on where to start even diagnosing?

2. tly80

tly80 Pen Pal - Newbie

nope, no random presses but software -wise, i got many small annoying bugs... nothing too bad though.

3. matie3201

matie3201 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been considering purchasing an S7S for sketching/painting but have been concerned about the need to use a separate keyboard for shortcuts. This seems like the perfect solution! Has anybody posted a video of their photoshop workflow using this sidebar? If not, would somebody be so kind to do so? I would love to see this in action.

4. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

It is the perfect solution. I prefer it to the wacom hotkeys and touch strips. It's that responsive, and perfect with the 16:10 ratio. It's genius!

5. crabocado

crabocado Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much, tbaldree, for PaintDock, it works great for me! Sketching in Photoshop has become a natural experience, just what I had hoped for in this tablet.

Also, I am a lefty, and the positioning is perfect (using the LeftHand version). (The only problem I have, nothing to do with the script, is that the device's light detector is right where I would like to keep my right thumb, so occasionally causes the screen to dim.)

Regarding the pressure curve though, I actually am very impressed with the way things are right out of the box (actually, after installing the drivers), and being 96% ignorant of Windows and pretty scared of screwing things up, I think I will not try your suggestions at least for a while. Maybe my standards are low. It sounds like your settings are intended to reach 100% with less pressure, and I am pretty sure that if anything, I would actually want a lower ramp, i.e. to make it easier to get lighter tones (the appearance of low pressure).

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but there seems to be absolutely no way to change the pen sensitivity with the native Samsung tools; please correct me if I've missed something.)

But, here's something I do plan to try. I really need to get your hot keys working for both Photoshop and Flash. Here's my plan: Make two copies of the PaintDock folder, and modify the text file in one of them for Flash, then pin both copies of PaintDock to the taskbar. I'll try it soon unless somebody tells me this will create problems!

6. tpope

tpope Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't yet put Photoshop onto my Series 7, since I've only had it for the weekend and most of the initial setup was getting Windows 8 installed. I just wanted to say THANK YOU for a fantastic utility, and to confirm that it works just perfectly on Windows 8 with Sketchbook at least.

I'm going to have to get Illustrator installed now and play around with the settings to build an optimized version for my workflow. On my old LE1700 (no touch) I had to cobble together a hardware solution to get Control, Alt, Space, Shift and Control-Z for Adobe apps, so I'm really looking forward to being able to do this in software now.

7. tpope

tpope Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, so with Photoshop and Illustrator installed, and a few minutes of work (thank you doubly much for including the PSD files for the buttons) I've got a lightly modified one for Illustrator use, including a dedicated Alt key.

There are still plenty of things I need to change, given that less than 25% of your PS commands work in AI, but from my limited experience so far, that should be pretty much trivial.

This makes the otherwise rotten 16:9 aspect ratio actually start to seem like a good idea!

Thanks again for the great work!

8. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey crabocado,

There is no problem in having two different versions of the toolbar.

Note that if you want to keep exactly the same layout for Flash (i.e. if all the buttons on PaintDock have an associated hotkey in Flash) and all you need is to change the hotkey that each button sends, you can use only one toolbar and use the App: command in each button's code. Using the App: command, it is possible to have the buttons on the toolbar send different hotkeys depending on what the active program is. If you are interested, the use of this command is described in the instructions that I posted here in post #29:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sam...looks-amazing-can-we-use-slate-hotkeys-3.html

9. crabocado

crabocado Pen Pal - Newbie

lblb, that help document looks fantastic, very user-friendly. I'll definitely try the App: approach when I get a chance. Thank you!

10. CapricornBanana

CapricornBanana Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to give my thanks to the people in this forum for their thoughts and explanations. It went a long way in informing my purchase.

I am a professional storyboard artist / comic book artist, and the tips here have been fantastic for improving my workflow. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.