How to set up your Samsung Series 7 Slate for 'Serious Photoshop Work'!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tbaldree, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anguscoleman

anguscoleman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, guys,

I have benn using this wonderful Paintdock for one year, now, personalizing it for PS, TVPaint, Sketchup, ecc..on my asus EP121. There is an issue that give me thougths, and I wanted to share it with you:
    I am willing to buy soon this cintiq-alternative, wich is getting more and more success (Graphics tablets BOSTO kingtee). Unluckily last model do not have solid keys, so I was wondering: will Paintdock will work on that monitor? Otherwise my work would get pretty slower..

Thank you so much,,,
    Angelo

2. ellie

ellie Pen Pal - Newbie

Samsung Ativ Smart Pro 700t. I'm hoping you can help with a slightly different, but very much related issue. I work in Capture One and PS, occasionally LR. I have finished tif photos that I want to set up in an "album" to show on the tablet. I have a 128 gig drive and a 32 gig micro SD. I put all my finished photos (ready for albuming) on the micro SD because I keep them large with high pixel per inch and I don't want them to "eat up" my relatively tiny SSD drive.
    Even using the Windows color adjustment, I was able to get a pretty good srgb and I planned to get a calibrator to do better.
    However - none of the apps I can find, including the Samsung S Gallery, can recognize drive E, which is the micro SD card. I want an app or a program that will provide professional looking templates for albums and make use of the high resolution of the screen. I am having a lot of trouble finding one. Does anyone have a suggestion of something I might try?
    Thanks - and I hope this isn't too ot

Ellie

3. yuchao

yuchao Pen Pal - Newbie

4. ellie

ellie Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks - I will look at it asap.

BTW, I did find a "partial solution" which is to have Lightroom export a slideshow of the chosen photos as an mp4. I can then play the mp4 in microsoft media center and it looks pretty good. But I have doubts about the detail quality of mp4s vs a "real" gallery program.

I will try Art Dock for Surface Pro and hopefully you found the answer for both of us.

Are you finding the Samsung meets your needs? I'm finding out that a lot of the win 8 apps seem to be the lowest common denominators of their old selves. Even thinking of selling it for an Android. I have the Galaxy S4 phone and it beats the Ativ by a lot.

5. yuchao

yuchao Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Ellie,

Initially I bought the Samsung 700T for portable photoshop work because I spent lots of time on train travelling.
    However I only manage to use it to do sketches, still trying to get use to it.
    For more serious work I will have to do it on desktop computer with wacom tablet, I feel more comfortable this way.

So far Art Dock for Surface Pro is working fine on the 700T with photoshop cs5, probably because 700T is also running on Windows 8.

6. nintedno

nintedno Pen Pal - Newbie

Man! Why doesn't Paintdock work for Windows 8 Slate 7!? It seems so cool! I went ahead and tried anyway, the menu pops up on the left, but doesn't function at all :( is there no way to make it work on Windows 8 yet?

7. maklenard

maklenard Pen Pal - Newbie

ok i need help.. I installed paintdock on my ep121 and it was working fine..
    Then I tried using devcon and toggletouch for palm rejection checking which one works better.
    Now my tablet went bonkers

Touch is now not working on my windows 8 except on paintdock. but pen is working fine

*plus side: Its really cool working on PS coz i can palm reject and still use paintdock at the same time
    but i really need to get my touch working on other programs again, hopefuly without reinstalling win 8

any ideas how to fix this or how it happened?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  8. exwhyzed

exwhyzed Pen Pal - Newbie

To get Paintdock to work with Windows 8, download a new PaintDock.ahk and PaintDock.txt and then use these to replace the ones that are in your current PaintDock directory.

You MUST also be using Autohotkey_L. I'm using version 1.1.13.01 available here.

You only need the above PaintDock.ahk for it to work in Windows 8. The PaintDock.txt just contains two changes that offset the PaintDock window to the right, and then down, so it doesn't cover up the photoshop toolbar and file menu at the top.

The manual instructions to create these files are below, in case you want to make the changes yourself:

1. Install(or basically unzip) ArtDock so you get access to its files
    2. Take artdock.ahk and rename it to PaintDock.ahk

3. Edit this file in notepad:
    -. look for a line with SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
    add a line underneath that reads Gui, -DPIScale

- find the line that references MenuDock.txt, and change it to PaintDock.txt

4. Navigate to the folder where Paintdock is (you must have installed it before this step) and rename its PaintDock.ahk to make it unrecognizable(like PaintDock.ahk.old), or you can just delete it of you don't want it.

5. Copy over your newly modified Paintdock .ahk into this directory

6. If you want to try out the Paintdock.txt file to see if the offset window suits you then go ahead and copy over the new Paintdock.txt file in your PaintDock directory. You can always edit it and change the offset to your liking.

7. Enjoy!

The Gui -DPIScale line that was added allows the Paintdock to remain at its normal size even though you may have changed your windows DPI settings. Without this line, if you change the DPI settings, Paintdock will look larger, but when you press its buttons, your press points will not match the buttons being pressed.

As tablet resolutions increase to HD and beyond, the natural resolution of PaintDock and Artdock will be too tiny, and its buttons will be too small. If you (like me)want Paint Dock (and also ArtDock) buttons to be bigger to match your increased DPI settings, you will have to edit the Paintdock.txt (and Menudock.txt for Artdock) and manually change the Paintdock's window size, and then the size of its individual buttons (time consuming). your new (modified by stretching) buttons may look a bit pixelated, depending on how much they've been stretched and how high your tablets resolution is. You can always go ahead and use something like photoshop and create new higher resolution buttons.

As you make changes, if you have photoshop and your PaintDock running, you can see your changes by saving your PaintDock.txt file (keeping it open), and reloading it by right-clicking it in the system tray and choosing "reload this script). now just keep tweaking your buttons till you get em right.

While you're in there, you can set PaintDock's window to start a bit off to the right, and lower than usual, which will keep photoshop's left toolbar, and top menu and document title bar exposed. Look for this in PaintDock.txt

; Specify Start-up window position by Left/Right/Top/Bottom. (alone or in combination)
    #Window:pos=LeftTop
    ; You can also specify window position by the coordinate.
    ;#Window:X=0
    ;#Window:Y=0

Put a semi colon in front of
    #Window:pos=LeftTop

so it now looks like this
    ;#Window:pos=LeftTop

and remove the semi colons from
    ;#Window:X=0
    ;#Window:Y=0

so they look like this
    #Window:X=0
    #Window:Y=0

now throw in 2 values like
    #Window:X=40
    #Window:Y=83

Save,reload this script, and check it againt photoshop. Higher x values bring the window to the right, higher y values bring the window down.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.