How to set up your Samsung Series 7 Slate for 'Serious Photoshop Work'!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by tbaldree, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tbaldree

tbaldree Pen Pal - Newbie

How to set up your Samsung Series 7 Slate for 'Serious Photoshop Work'!

http://www.twinstickgames.com/downloads/PaintDock.zip

[​IMG]

[UPDATE] - Left Handed mode has now been added - there is a separate PaintDockLeftHanded application ( And layout .txt file ) included in the zip.
    [UPDATE] - The Cut command was incorrectly mapped, and has been fixed.

DISCLAIMER - NOTHING IN HERE IS THAT CRAZY, BUT OF COURSE, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I've now got a setup that feels really nice, really portable, and circumvents most of the issues you'll run into using hotkey-centric Photoshop on your tablet. It is now, dare I say, a pleasant drawing and painting experience! Yay!

In this tutorial, you're going to fix your busted stylus sensitivity, make various system adjustments, and install a super-cool overlay tool that will let you do most common Photoshop operations with touch WHILE using a pen and while DISABLING touch everywhere on the screen that you don't want it ( i.e. where you are drawing )

First, download the goodies here -

PREP WORK -

a) Disable Flick gestures in pen and touch settings
    b) In Samsung Easy Settings, make sure Reduce Noise in the touch section is OFF - it makes touch response a crapshoot at best, and you're going to need it.

STEP 1 - MAKE PEN SENSITIVITY NOT SUCKY

First of all, the default curves for your stylus on the Samsung really, really suck. The pitiful slider to change between soft and hard isn't a lot of help - the threshholds are just awful. You can't have fine soft control without having to double-stroke to get full opacity. It is blotchy and janky.

You should absolutely adjust your settings for your stylus and you will be amazed at how much better it feels.

I've got a setup I spent a good hour tweaking using this program - Tablet Pressure Curve Tool | Secret Laboratory

Make sure you get the beta, which lets you edit individual values on the pen.

Your ISD_Tablet.dat file contains your sensitivity curves. These are very, very important to making your stylus feel nice. My setup has nice soft control from light to midtones and ramps to full opacity at about 80% pressure.

The ISD_Tablet.dat file is located under USERS/YourUser/AppData/Roaming/WTablet - you will have to be able to see hidden files and folders to get to this location.

Edit it with the curve tool OR you can use my ISD_Tablet.dat file (included in the zip ), and replace yours with it. I recommend trying mine out to see what you think before you start fiddling to save yourself some time.

Once you have saved or replaced the file, you need to stop and restart the tablet service -

Go to Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Services and select TabletServiceISD, then stop and restart it. That will commit the changes from your curve twiddling.

NOTE! IF YOU USE THE PEN AND TABLET CONTROL PANEL YOU WILL OBLITERATE ALL YOUR NICE CURVES AND IT WILL REPLACE THEM WITH THE CRUMMY HARD->SOFT SETTINGS AGAIN! BACK THEM UP!

STEP 2 - INSTALL MY COOL TOUCH OVERLAY TUNED FOR PHOTOSHOP

My touch overlay is based on the RawInputControlTest AutoHotkey script available here -
    RawInputControlTest.ahk Many thanks to the author for an awesome script!

I call my variant PaintDock, and I've made several changes, ( apart from basic visuals and functionality of the keypad )

When run, PaintDock disables touch, and when closed, it restores touch to its original state.
    That means you don't have to worry about palm rejection or annoying errant scribbles from your pinky.

Paint Dock automatically hides if your stylus gets near it.

PaintDock has controls, tuned for your hand's position, for the following -

Pan
    Eyedropper
    Zoom In/Out
    Brush Size Up/Down
    Step Back(Undo) Step Forward(Redo)
    Brush Mode
    Eraser Mode
    Select All
    Deselect
    Copy
    Cut
    Paste
    CTRL
    SHIFT
    DELETE
    Flip Horizontal

These are all things I use all the time. Swatches, selecting individual brushes, and managing layers all work fine with the stylus.

It is compiled to an Exe, so you should not need AutoHotkey to use it ( although I include the script )

You can modify any of the buttons and their controls by editing the paintdock.txt file included, WITHOUT having to recompile the script. I also included the PSD I used to generate the button art.

I link PaintDock to the taskbar near the start menu, turn it on for Photoshop, and turn it off when I'm done.

NOTE: FLIP HORIZONTAL IS MAPPED TO CTRL-H -
    There is no default mapping for flipping the canvas horizontally in Photoshop. If you would like to use this control, make sure to assign the keyboard shortcut in Photoshop.

Enjoy! Hope this proves a help to other artists fumbling around in a hotkey-less world.

Travis

fishdavis likes this.
  2. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent work! Is the touch overlay avalibaly for left handers too?

3. earwolf

earwolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Holy mackerel superb post!!!!

4. tly80

tly80 Pen Pal - Newbie

one word. awesomness.

5. tbaldree

It does now - I've included a variant in the zip. I've done my best to do a sensible button arrangement, but not being a lefty, it's a little tough to extrapolate. Let me know how it feels.

6. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome contribution! I too am having fun making custom tailored icons and layouts. Incredibly useful, since I have some unique hotkey preferences. Plus I'm using ridiculous images for the icons, which has been entertaining.

This is quite a gift for those who don't want to mess with the script, though. Very good work, and very kind of you!

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice contribution tbaldree! Great looking icons! Thanks for sharing!

8. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

This looks soooo cool! Is there any way to get it to work on a Fujitsu slate or is it Samsung-specific in some way? Tried to run it on my T4410, the dock appears where it should and buggers off nicely when the pen gets close to it, but it does not respond to my hand at all. Which is sad because it feels just so very right to have it where it is.

Or do I have to configure something on the Fujitsu? Did switch off flicks, but did not tune my curves in the way you described, cause I am quite happy with my pressure sensitivity the way it is now. Do I have to do those steps to get the Paintdock to work?

Do I have to have AutoHotKey installed? In your description it sounds as if running the .exe is sufficient? I remember trying AHK out long ago, could not make heads or tails of it and deleted it again, as my programming knowledge and skills are zero. But will install it again if it is a prerequisite for PaintDock.

9. tbaldree

I'm not sure on the Fujitsu -
    You can try this, but I don't know if it will work - please let us know if it does.

If you install autohotkey, and edit PaintDock.ahk in a text editor, look at the beginning.

Make the changes below, and then run the .ahk script by double-clicking it and see if it works -

Change this --

; for Samsung Series 7 Slate
    MaxRawX := 0x0fff
    MaxRawY := 0x0fff
    RawHidOffsetStat := 1
    RawHidTouchIdMask := 01111000
    RawHidTouchIdMinimum := 1
    RawHidOffsetX := 2
    RawHidOffsetY := 4

/*
    ; for ASUS EP121 / B121
    MaxRawX := 32752
    MaxRawY := 32752
    RawHidTouchIdMask := 01111100
    RawHidTouchIdMinimum := 0
    */

To this --

; for Samsung Series 7 Slate
    /*MaxRawX := 0x0fff
    MaxRawY := 0x0fff
    RawHidTouchIdMask := 01111000
    RawHidTouchIdMinimum := 1
    */

; for ASUS EP121 / B121
    MaxRawX := 32752
    MaxRawY := 32752
    RawHidTouchIdMask := 01111100
    RawHidTouchIdMinimum := 0

10. Darkink

Darkink Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you consider making this for Autodesk SketchBookPro 2011? It would make my life easier... Thank you for considering

11. tbaldree

If you were to give me the hotkeys per-button, then I could set it up pretty easily - but it's pretty easy to do yourself too. If you open the PaintDock.txt file, for each control, you'll see a hotkey pair that you can change out to whatever you want.
    I'm not familiar with Sketchbook Pro, so I wouldn't know which controls exist or don't, or what their mapping might be-

12. lblb

Hey tbaldree,

You probably know this already but if you don't want to have one separate script for each different program, you can prepare a "universal" toolbar and just have the function of each button changed according to which program is used by using the "App:" field. If you don't know what I am referring to, just look at the code for the slider in the original text file.
    Obviously, whatever solution you use, it's only going to work well if the other programs have hotkeys or keypresses for all the functions on your script. Which may not always be the case unfortunately.

As a note (not necessarily related): if you are ever interested in using modifier togglekeys (which can potentially increase the usefulness of a script like yours), you can see from that same code that the modifier can also be changed using the App: field.

13. yung

yung Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

Just tried this on the EP121, and it seems not to work. There's no feedback from the tools and I can't seem to press it at all (unlike the original RawInput). Could you provide any insight on this, or does this only work for Samsung?

Thanks

14. lblb

Hey Yung,

1) Delete the files named PaintDock.exe and PaintDock.ahk

2) Copy the file named RawInputControlTest.ahk from the original script that works on your EP121, and put it in the PaintDock folder.

3) Change the name of this file to PaintDock.ahk

4) Right-click on this file, choose "Compile script". After a few seconds, a file named PaintDock.exe will be created. Just double-click it.

15. yung

yung Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey that fixed my problem! Many thanks! The tool is really working well. Though for some reason, it is still detecting my touch. Have to disable it in the settings.

16. lblb

Hey yung,

Yeah this script is great. And tbaldree did a very nice customization job.

By the way yung, you do indeed have to turn Touch off to fully enjoy this script. I don't want to move the emphasis of this thread away from tbaldree's work so I'll make this short: if you haven't already, go to the ep121 forum and look at these handy solutions to toggle touch on/off:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/43304-remapping-home-button-switch-touchscreen-off.html
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/43633-touch-toggle-system-tray-application.html

17. tbaldree

I've added ASUS specific exes and scripts to the download. Hopefully they should just work -

18. tbaldree

The auto touch disable/enable is something I added. If you grab my updated Asus version you should get that functionality.

19. Illuztrator

Illuztrator Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted to say thanks for making this work on the S7S. It makes working in Photoshop on this tablet a dream. I am by no means a professional (yet), but as an amateur/student it makes working in Photoshop much easier, faster, etc.

The only thing missing is an alt shortcut, or a little button for subtracting from selections using the lasso tools. But, other than that it is AWESOME!

Just wanted to post my thanks :D

20. tly80

tly80 Pen Pal - Newbie

man, the alt key is therw, it's the picker...