How to reset upgraded win10 ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by spinedoc77, Oct 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Surface Pro 3 here, I upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Now I want to give this to my wife and want to completely erase it. When going into recovery I get 3 options: Keep my Files, which I don't want. Remove everything, which I do want. And Restore Factory Settings which I do want, but it denotes it will reinstall win 8.1 which I don't want.

So I choose the Remove Everything option. It gives me an error saying "Could not f ind the recovery environment" "Insert your Windows installation or recovery media, and restart your PC with the media." I did try connecting a Win10 recovery USB drive, but haven't tried to reboot into it yet, I suppose that's my next step. It's stupid stuff like this that give iOS/Android users the ability to talk trash about Windows.

2. spinedoc77

Well no go on rebooting into the win10 recovery disc, now it's asking for a product key. Man, is it really this difficult to reset win10?!?

3. spinedoc77

I finally got it to reset, of course now I have to find my bitlocker key. Now it's resetting, but my fear is that now I will lose the ability to go back to 8.1 in case my wife doesn't like win10.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you don't like 10, you can always install 8.1 from the downloadable recovery key as a last resort.

As for resetting 10, it's supposed to work the way you did it (without a drive or anything), but it's been my experience that some of the leftover partitions from the 8.1 upgrade tend to confuse the recovery process.

5. spinedoc77

Ugh, what an absolute nightmare. After win10 "reset" it won't boot anymore, saying "inaccessible_boot_drive" I can't recover it with a win10 recovery usb. I'm trying to download the SP3 recovery from Microsoft, after an hour the download craps out at 35% and the 2nd time downloading it will take 4 1/2 hours at 331kb/second.

I'm creating a recovery usb from my SP4 just for the hell of it and see if it works on the SP3.

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the nightmare fear of Windows: a brick with any update, minor or major . . . .

Best of luck.

7. spinedoc77

Finally got it to work. A recovery USB with system files from my Surface Pro 4 did the trick. For some reason bitlocker was off though, so it's encrypting again as I speak. Hope nothing goes wrong again.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Congratulations (finally)!

spinedoc77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.