How to Reset/Re-image a Broken VivoTab Smart

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MattR, Mar 21, 2013.

1. MattR

MattR Pen Pal - Newbie

I purchased a VivoTab Smart from Staples.com. The day I received it, I made the "mistake" of trying to update it with the 2 updates (BIOS + software, I believe) from Asus at the same time. I left it to install the updates (it was taking a LONG time). When I came back a while later, I found it off. When it booted back up, it booted into the Windows 8 recovery environment. Trying the options to "refresh" or "reset" my installation failed (but never gave an error message). Choosing the Advanced Options also failed - the restore points (created when the Asus LiveUpdate program updated itself) wouldn't even attempt to restore ("you must enable system protection on this drive") and the restore from image option couldn't find an image.

A google search turned up other people with this problem but no solutions. Several searches pulled up various pages from this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/55104-asus-vivotab-smart-me400-experience.html
    I didn't read every single one of the 487 entries but I read a bunch of them and couldn't find a solution.

I tried returning the tablet to my local Staples. No luck - they don't carry it. I tried to arrange an exchange with Staples.com - they are out of stock with more stock expected in "2 to 3 weeks." So I did some more searching and came up with the following:

To reset the VivoTab Smart, you will need:
    -either a microUSB to USB OTG cable + USB flash drive/hard drive OR a microSD card (or possibly a location on your local network accessible via WiFi)
    -imagex.exe from Microsoft

I downloaded the 32bit version of imagex from here:
    Download imagex.exe without installing WAIK | RAID Calculator | RAID Calculator

You can also get it directly from Microsoft as part of the 1.3GB Windows Automated Installation Kit (WAIK) here:
    Download Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows Vista SP1 and Windows Server 2008 from Official Microsoft Download Center

The command line options for imagex are outlined here:
    ImageX Command-Line Options

The image to reset the VivoTab Smart is located in two places:
    c:\windows\system32\recovery\install.wim
    (hidden 8gb recovery partition):\RecoveryImage\install.wim
    *you can make sure that your working VivoTab Smart has this image by following the instructions below to assign the recovery partition a drive letter
    *if you look at the partition in the graphical Computer Management/Disk Management, it will show the partition as empty but it isn't

Step 1:
    Put imagex.exe on your external memory and connect to VivoTab Smart.

Step 2:
    Open up the command line from the blue recovery screen:

Troubleshoot --> Advanced Options --> Command Prompt
    *if your software keyboard doesn't pop up even when you press in the command prompt screen, just reboot and try again... it only failed to pop up once for me.

Step 3:
    Run each of the following commands:
    diskpart
    list disk
    (the built in drive should be listed as 58GB and be disk 0)
    select disk 0
    list partition
    (the partition we want is the 8GB Recovery - not the 300MB Recovery - it should be #4)
    select partition 4
    assign
    exit

Step 4:
    Figure out which drive letter your recovery partition was assigned and which your external memory was assigned:
    d:
    dir
    e:
    dir

I will assume your external memory is d: and your recovery is e: - run the following command:
    d:\imagex.exe /apply e:\recoveryimage\install.wim 1 c:\

Leave your VivoTab Smart plugged in... it will take a while. When finished, reboot. Everything will be reset to the way it came from the factory.

Resources used:
    DiskPart
    » How to: Make recovery partition visible in Windows 8 IT Blog

mscir likes this.
  2. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

wow this seems to be a very sophisticated technique. Thanks for your post. I think it would be helpful for people if they run into this situation in the future.

3. XDaddyOx

XDaddyOx Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice post. Wish I'd found this before sending mine off to Asus Australia as I did exactly the same thing (installed the driver & BIOS updates simultaneously & hosed the OS). Asus have now had it for three weeks (so much for 7-10 day repair time I was quoted) & I can't get any update from them apart from "it's still being repaired". Last I heard (over a week ago now) the repairer didn't have the Vivotab image & had to get it from Asus. Who knows how much longer it'll be gone for. I think if it's too much longer I might just demand they return it & I'll use this post to fix it myself!

4. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the well worked out and written procedure. I just had to use it on a new ME400C and avoided having to take the tablet back to Best Buy or RMA it as ASUS TS proposed.

5. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Moderator It might be worth making this a sticky item

6. cheeb

cheeb Pen Pal - Newbie

How was this done???

I downloaded the imagex.exe and put in on the sd card..but what next?

My vivotab smart just does a bootloop...it goes from the asus logo to the blue screen that shows' "your pc ran into an issue....." and restarts...
    this the problem I got from the live update bs

7. MadCow

MadCow Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish I had read this earlier, because I just got the ME400CL and did exactly the same thing -- update both with the live update tool.

It installed the BIOS thing first (successfully, I think), then continued trying to update the second option but seemed to get stuck at 58%. While waiting for it to move, I notice Windows Update had 24 updates to install so I let it restart+update, which went fine. I ran LiveUpdate again and it detected the remaining option (software) which installed fine. But after reboot I noticed by wireless broadband no longer working anymore; in the device manager it showed the device as missing drivers. I tried letting it search for drivers but it couldn't find it.

Now I'm doing the windows reset, which is taking a very long time.... Hoping it won't get more complicated, but if the reset doesn't fix anything I guess I will try this reset method next. :-(

8. MadCow

MadCow Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay so after the reset, the device still doesn't have drivers detected. However LiveUpdate now lets me install those two updates again.

This time I installed them one at a time, starting with the first one (modem firmware). After reboot my mobile broadband is back again, yay!

Installing the second one (modem software) went along fine without a hitch.

Now I need to deal with an annoying bug where after restart, it keeps failing to auto-connect to my hidden WPA2 network; I need to manually reconnect each time, and Windows keeps adding duplicate entries each time. Sigh... and I thought could leave all my Samsung ATIV troubles behind with this new tablet.... :-(

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. demonknight9

demonknight9 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a great tutorial. Many thanks!! It works brilliantly. I was about to reinstall windows from my retail disk but with this I did not have to. Again, this is a godsend, thank you very much.

10. tevans

tevans Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so much! This also worked for the new TF810C. I bought it used and it had the auto repair loop.

I bought a microSD card, followed the instructions and it worked perfectly!

2 changes I had to make:

The link to get the imagex file didnt work when I clicked it, here's the one that worked for me: Raid Calculator Freeware Download | Download imagex.exe without installing WAIK

Also, in the final step when I typed in "d:\imagex.exe /apply e:\recoveryimage\install.wim 1 c:\" it did not work because the file name was only "imagex". So if any of you are getting stuck, try just removing the ".exe" from behind imagex

I registered just to say thanks!