How to - Repurpose the Vaio Duo 11 ASSIST bitton

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by sonus911, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

Get your Vaio Assist button to run whatever you like

I think Vaio Care is the most useless piece of garbage installed on this machine. And its annoying that we have a dedicated hardware key that launches it. You can repurpose the "Assist" button by using the following thread:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony/538942-how-use-all-your-vpc-zs-s-buttons-your-purposes-8.html

I reconfigured the button to launch Vaio Control, which gives access to much more important settings, and you could of course reconfigure it to launch whatever program you wish.

2. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh gawd... storytime. So I was having major touchscreen issues (i.e. it wouldn't respond for minutes at a time,) and I tried everything I could, software wise. I called VAIO support, and, at their suggestion, performed a factory reset through VAIO Care (by launching the application, not by pressing the assist button).

Installed all updates, and lo and behold the thing still doesn't work. So I called back and tell the (new) support person that I just did a restore to the recovery partition, but the issue persists, and I would like to return the device. So she says, "I would first ask you to restore through VAIO Care by using the ASSIST button on the front."

Me (patiently): "Well, like I said, I just did the recovery, and ran all the updates, and it still doesn't work."

Her: "Okay, but did you push the ASSIST button?"

Rage.