How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

wtf?

2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Could be their business just isnt doing that well and they want to get every cent they can out of their customers, was one of my impressions, unless the receptionist at vaio their accidently typed an extra 0, maybee she ment 150$....

3. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

They quoted me $1000 last week... such a shame, really is a great machine. I didn't want to have to hard hack a battery for it, but that looks like that only option left.

4. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone supplied 15v directly into the beast via the battery terminals and see if it complains of lack of OEM battery?... just curious if it has nonsense to have it identify oem packs or not

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Anyone supplied 15v directly into the beast via the battery terminals and see if it complains of lack of OEM battery?..>>

...My assumption is that it wouldn't have a check like this. The tablet is, at best, hard to open and they probably didn't anticipate premature battery failure. So they probably had no reason to think that a "foreign" battery might ever be installed...

6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That sounds like a reasonable test, except for the fact these batteries rarely have just a + and - terminal. They have 6 or more connection points and no schematics.

If a battery seller is deep in the battery biz, then if they claim their battery will work, there's probably not much reason to doubt them.

This one, (if it's the right model; you need to double check) looks like a very reasonable deal, and no big loss if it doesn't work:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Battery-for...605604?hash=item51df7915e4:g:iYIAAOSwa-dWq0G5

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...They have 6 or more connection points and no schematics...>>

@thatcomicsguy 's remarks are well taken, but the wiring is usually easy to decipher. A well-designed battery charging system (note that this is a generic comment, not necessarily applicable to every battery-powered device) will typically feature the positive and negative voltage leads (typically red and black respectively and of larger gauge), two or more smaller wires (one to each individual cell in the battery pack) used for cell balancing and possibly two wires to a temperature sensor (to monitor cell temperature as a safety measure).

In the present case, assuming that @theKM can get the ZC open, it should be pretty obvious which two wires are the power leads, and for a short test using an off-board power source, the other wires can be considered irrelevant. HOWEVER, having said all this, one should not attempt these sorts of experiments without double-checking such things as voltages and polarities with an appropriate multimeter (and general inspection of wire sizes (gauge), wire arrangements, PC board markings and other clues to the nature of the circuits)... YMMV...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking at the ribbon in photos, I'm only making out the positive trace surrounded by a joined common. That said, the "6 or more" are generally balance leads to each of the cells in the pack so that whatever the charge circuit is can make sure that each of the cells balance out.

If the thing lights up with a direct source, or if it just needs balance wires, that's easy... only gets messy when they add circuitry to have strange voltages on non-standard pins for the sole purpose of seeing if it's an oem battery.

9. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that most manufacturers would love to entertain the thought that every product they make will be so popular that they will have to fight counterfeit hardware :)

10. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll probably give it a shot. Hard hacking Sony stuff in the past hasn't been terrible due to their love of daughter boards... will see. For it to have any point though, will need to chase down some Lion cells that will fit.

And yes, there is always risk in letting the magic smoke out :)