How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

hmm stormi what do you mean by under high load with the battery draining? What do you recommend for us who it hasnt started to bulge yet? not use it on battery with it cooled down by a fan maybee? Why did you take it apart? How long did you have it stormi? I dont want to get rid of my canvas as its been my favorite computer iv used but i dont want it to start bulging on me either.

What kind of software did you run on it? Games? Editing softwares?

One last question stormi, or for anyone who has this problem, what was your guys full capacity charge before?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. jbaks

Steve have you seen anything strange happening with the battery on your canvas? What routine do you use for charging?

3. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

If the "Performance" mode is selected in the VAIO Control Center and the 65W limit over the charger is reached, additional power is provided by the battery. So if the additional power is not needed you should set it to the "Standard" mode in which the battery won't be utilized. Another suggestion would be limiting the full charge capacity to something like 80% but I don't know if thats possible on the Z Canvas. On my previous Fujitsu there was an option for that.
    Super high load was mostly caused by games, maybe some editing stuff and streaming 60 fps Youtube videos on my UHD display. I have the canvas since about 20 month now and I've taken it apart to add a second SSD. I disassembled it before and didn't notice any bulge on the battery so it happened in the last few month where I actually used it rarely under high load and even less on battery...

jbaks likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can set the maximum charge to either 50% or 80% in the VAIO Control Center:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep mine at 50% at home, 80-100% while traveling; seems to doing a great job at keeping the battery at optimal capacity...very handy :)

stormi and jbaks like this.
  5. jbaks

wow so strange thx for the recommendations, are we going to find replacement batteries for this thing? Stormi how does the screen come off, with heat gun?

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No need for heat guns, Japanese engineers still have the common sense to use screws. :p

@phyc did a quality disassembly here, unfortunately pics were lost. Luckily, I made a backup of the post, because I knew it would disappear right when you need it. ;)

[​IMG]

thatcomicsguy and jbaks like this.
  7. jbaks

thx marty yea i seen this before, i would never try taking it apart unless i had to, there as been countless ppl with broken ribbon cables

8. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Unbenannt.png
    Yeah, not really...

One suggestion to the disassembly, in step 3 do not pry it to remove the display assembly. Instead push the display assembly in the direction of the vents and then start to lift it up on the side of the vents. It should come loose by itself.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. moctodTPCR

moctodTPCR Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I missed this post. But that pretty much describes me. Think about this.. nobody ever leaves a real tablet plugged in all day. But Vaio was the first to introduced a real PC crammed in a tablet form. We left it plugged in all the time because I really didn't use it as a tablet. In hindsight, it was a wrong purchase, but it was such a beautiful gadget that I decided to use it as my desktop. The tablet itself was a second screen next to my 32 inch monitor. So man, I left this baby plugged in all the time. It was my desktop! Consumers should have been warned and better educated. I was over my 1 yr warranty, but Amex's extension benefit had my back. They paid for the repair. I will never leave it plugged in again.

10. Tallen00001

Tallen00001 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a quote from VAIO today 2-9-2018 - to repair or replace the swollen battery in my Vaio Canvas Z. I promised I would advertise for them, heavily. Please tell all your friends and enemies.

"Dear Tallen

Yes, it will be at least $1500.

Sincerely,

Tatsuya
    VAIO Customer Support
    Phone: 855-981-8246
    Email: support@us.vaio.com"

thatcomicsguy, JoeS and stormi like this.