How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazing bbb came back to me and argue with me with over 5 emails that they sent the complaint to Sony waiting their answer and no matter what I do it's still does not change their mind. We need Sony to answer vaio us not s company. Few links from 2012 and 2014 about it and it still does not change their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

figures, theres nothing more bbb can do for you then?

3. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Have been asked bbb today to supply an invoice have gone that.

Now waiting.

4. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

gd mrng just to update that now i gto the fallowing notice

Thank you for contacting BBB. Your complaint was received by BBB on July 19, 2017 and has been assigned case# our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:
    Trans Cosmos America, Inc..
    879 W 190th St STE 1050
    Gardena, CA 90248-4224

now checking who is Trans Cosmos America, Inc..

i found out that its

transcosmos to Provide E-Commerce One-Stop Services for the United States to VAIO Corporation
    transcosmos Will Support E-Commerce Development for the U.S. market as the First Step of Overseas Expansion of VAIO Corporation

ranscosmos inc. (Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan; President and COO: Masataka Okuda; TSE First Section: 9715; hereafter, transcosmos) will start providing E-Commerce one-stop services for the United States to VAIO Corporation (Headquarters: Azumino, Nagano Prefecture, Japan; President: Yoshimi Ota) through its subsidiary transcosmos America Inc. As a sales agency in the United States, it will offer total support for VAIO® brand PCs, including E-Commerce development, wholesale sales, import procedures, other registration work, payment, repair and customer support.

transcosmos offers global E-Commerce one-stop services in 34 countries around the world, including Japan, Europe, the United States and Asia with a focus on China and South Korea. With the expansion of VAIO Corporation into the U.S., transcosmos has been selected as a partner in recognition of its extensive experience and business development of E-Commerce support both inside and outside Japan.

The following comments have been received from Masaru Hirauchi, a Corporate Officer and Head of Global Business Development of VAIO Corporation.

5. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Swollen battery is a very common problem in laptops. I dont know about vaio but i replaced many laptop batteries by open it up, look at the battery model name and find it on aliexpress/ebay. Some batteries can be compatible with several laptop models as well. Asus, lenovo especially acer have the easiest spareparts to find online.

Again I dont know about vaio spareparts availabilty on online stores but its worth a try especially if you having hard time to get replacement from sony/vaio itself.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

If you're keeping that battery inside your house you should make sure it's stored in a fire proof container, as the battery is in a volatile state and could ignite without any warning.

Ideally put it in a tin box on a piece of stone or some sand and make sure it's covered with a non-flammable lid or keep it outside in a cool place on a sand or stone.

If the company doesn't resolve the problem for you you can probably repair the pack if you disassemble it and find some replacement single cells that match.

You only need to find one cell to repair your battery pack. There is a chance there could be a fault in the manufacture of that batch of batteries so the others could fail soon after the repair. If you change one battery in the pack you need to balance the pack so they all charge and discharge at the same rate. Your battery looks like it may have a charge circuit which has some method of balancing the cells as they charge? For best long tern results replacing all the cells together should result in a more balanced and reliable pack, provided the cells are matched when the pack is built. Here's some information about balancing cells > http://liionbms.com/php/cell_prebalancing.php

The cells probably look something like this example > https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...124.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.172.L88G1p

When selecting new cells make sure the replacements meet the specifications of the existing ones. Getting batteries with a higher mAh rating is fine provide the physical size is the same. You need to ensure the 'C' rating equals or exceeds the 'C' rating of the existing cells (C rating is important for safety).

I can't find a video example of Li-ion pouch batteries being repaired that demonstrates what you may need to do. One thing I would say is try to be careful when removing the plastic outer cover/film, try and remove it cleanly so that you can reuse it, using a suitable tape with some heat resistant properties such as electrical tape. I.e. avoid using regular packing tapes etc. the materials aren't designed to withstand heat.

If you have a store nearby that sells radio controlled models they maybe able to repair your battery or obtain parts and give you some advice. You may be able to buy a battery pack designed for an RC model and repurpose the cells provide the cells meet the specifications. RC batteries are generally designed to handle high charge/discharge rates, most likely in excess of direct replacement cells.

It shouldn't be too difficult to repair imho, just take the proper precautions and do a neat and tidy job.

7. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks it's not possible to find the battery.

8. ovidiul23

ovidiul23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi!

I have the same problem, a swollen battery. For clarification, I want to say that it happened when it was in my backpack. I've put the keyboard on and placed it in the backpack, and when I took it out it was running and it was very hot. This shouldn't have happened, as it was configured to go in hibernation mode when the cover was on. And this was my standard procedure that I've used many times, but this time something happened and it didn't shut down...
    Anyway, did you guys (@moti_n and @neongolden) find a battery anywhere?

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...You only need to find one cell to repair your battery pack...>>

...Maybe, maybe not. My assumption is that the Z Canvas battery pack incorporates the usual safety features that have become more or less standard for Li-Ion packs. If so, the pack incorporates (internally or on the MB) a pack controller IC that monitors the condition of the cells and the pack in general. If the controller detects a failure (e.g., cell below minimum voltage or possibly even reversed), it declares a failure and turns off the pack input / output. In the controllers that I am familiar with, this is a single-shot function for safety; that is, once the controller declares a failure and turns the pack off, it cannot be reset (think of it like a fuse). If one were of a mind to restore the operation of the pack, whether "repaired" or not, the controller IC would have to be replaced.

I wouldn't assume that 1) you will be able to find an equivalent replacement cell, 2) that you will be able to easily replace an individual cell in the pack or 3) That the pack will work if this were done for the reason above...

neongolden likes this.
  10. moctodTPCR

moctodTPCR Pen Pal - Newbie

Holy guacamole! I was wondering the hell was this cloud that I'm seeing on my canvas z. Then I noticed the bezel was raised. I search this website, and it seems as if I have the EXACT issue as you. The white oval blotch is exactly the same.

Did they fix this for you?