How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry can't help have no games and I don't play games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, here are the pics I sent them IMG_4379.JPG IMG_4378.JPG IMG_4380.JPG IMG_4383.JPG

That part of the bezel that is curving upwards is immediately to the right of the light bleed. You can actually feel a convex if you brush your finger against this bottom right quadrant of the display surface. I think it's pretty indisputable that it's the battery, but all they said is "it appears there is a separation between the display and the chassis" and then copy-pasted details about their $100 inspection service + potential other fees. They want to discuss the rest over the phone.

I'm probably screwed. I'll get on the phone with them later to see if they could guarantee a very low/nonexistent fee past the $100 -- if they agree it's all the battery manufacturer's fault -- but I'm not expecting a favorable reply. $100 is already a very significant amount of money for me.

Seems like there isn't much accountability in place for battery manufacturers. I heard weird stories of even Apple turning customers down when their Macbook batteries inflated, causing their trackpads to pop out, but then I heard they replaced other people's out-of-warranty machines with no hassle...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  3. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Vaio cooperation after service bad. We need to alert

4. Want2OpenVaioZCanvas

Want2OpenVaioZCanvas Pen Pal - Newbie

Planned obsolescence happening to early... this is 100% manufacturer's fault, and they should take responsibility... Never buying from buying Vaio ever again.

5. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

What to do ?

I have no Facebook and I can't complain more then I did.

Vaio cooperation opened 2014 in Japan and since then I have no idea how many people were happy to buy again a Vaio product , knowing that the after sales is going to be so bad.

I guess market : Sales's Will talk.

Hoping they can fix the name / damage they have now in the air.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

If the option exists, maybe both of you should consider making a complaint to the better business bureau.

7. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

As I am not leaving in the USA I would love to have some help with that.

Knowing that eve Vaio Japan was not very helpful when they got the serial number the immediately noticed it's an us model they would like to help but not for free and the cause I took the battery out saving my laptop lcd broken due to the batter swollen did not mean a lot to them.

8. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

My first initial thoughts on this thread were just having a place where you can send it to even for a fee since there out of warranty all is not lost, but since its not the fault of the owner you want more which I would to. I would first contact them once more and tell them that you will file complaints with the BBB if they cant help out a bit with at least shipping and taking a look at it for free then go from there. I have had decent communication with support but it definitely could be better. Then I would tell them you might file a claim with the courts cuz a expaning battery is very dangerous and they should do something to reimburse you or at least help. I guess im not put into these positions much if I sound rediculous someone just let me know haha.

Yea finding new canvas's really isnt an option any more since there all sold out on the website and the ebay ones have dwinddled down in the past few months from being in the 30s to less then 5. You never see parts for them either. Get the part number off the battery and start calling manufactures or see if a technision can possibly make you one. Last resort is to part it out here on tabletpcreview and send vaio a death threat.

Sorry to hear this we all love are canvas's here at least I do.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  9. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd love to hear who is bbb and how to file with them something.

10. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

The bbb(https://www.bbb.org/) is the better business bureau and they handle thousands of complains every day. Thinking more about it though vaio isnt even an US based company any more. You still could talk to one of there representatives to see if you can start a complaint against VAIO US, im sure you woiuld probably be the only one hah. Any way, yea thats the bad thing when the vaio portion of sony was sold off to japan the BBB rating went with it.

Its kinda hard to do anything since there a japanese company now. You could tell them the battery got hot and burned you and that they need to help you out or you will file with the courts see if that gets you any where. Im sorry though that really sucks about the battery. I love my vaio Z I hope it lasts me forever. I always keep all my electronics so I can pass them down to my family when im old so they can play around with them, so I like quality products just like a nice camera, there sorta timeless like the canvas.