How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Christo

Christo Pen Pal - Newbie

Weird.

I had the swollen battery removed, but the machine turns on for only a few seconds and goes off again.

Tried it again after a few days and it stayed on a bit longer, but then shut down again.

What am I missing?

2. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys,

Just to let you know about a video posted on YouTube from a guy that had a swollen battery in his Z Canvas. It did even crack the LCD display. :eek:

Marty likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<…Just to let you know about a video posted on YouTube...>>

@HawkLS : Nice find, but the guy completely skips over how he got those three small screws out from under the top vent! That's really the biggest problem in getting the Z Canvas open.

When he said that his unit had been running 24/7 for three years, and then commented on how puffed up the battery was, all I could do was shake my head. He probably never turned on the battery saver (80% charge limiter), so no wonder...

4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks for video, never seen the inside like that

5. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

6. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

7. bluegale

bluegale Pen Pal - Newbie

I've managed to disassemble my Z canvas 2 days ago and removed the swollen battery pack albeit caused some damage to the latches (three of them are broken) because I forgot to slide off the bezel upward before trying to detach it from the frame. There are like 15 latches around the bezel, so it reattached firmly without any problem thankfully, but if anyone is going to try disassembling one, follow this guide: https://john.daltons.info/projects/repair/vaio_disassembly_battery/

My Z Canvas is working great after detaching the battery pack. Also for those who are having bruises on the right lower screen, those are due to the swollen pack pressing on the rear side of panel. Once the pack is removed, the bruises will disappear, so don't wait too long once you start seeing the symptom unless you will risk damaging the panel as the pack gets swollen even more. I also removed a ton of dust accumulated inside, and temperature reading is significantly lower thanks to all the work.

Marty likes this.
  8. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice info! :thumbsup: