How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

I've found some lithium cells that will fit the battery frame, and pretty close to the same capacity (3800mah, stock is 4000mah)... I'll be replacing them in my Canvas as soon as they turn up from China. If all goes well, I should be able to do the same for other people's batteries if desired... would be a lot cheaper than what Vaio wants to do for us :)

Will see how some new cells do anyways. If there's interest I'll get a few extra cell sets.

Regarding heat being the issue... what annoys lithium packs is over charging, discharging, and for some, long term storage at 100% (it's what that battery saver option was made for, to keep the pack at a long-term-happiness voltage).

stormi, Marty and Steve S like this.
  2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow thats amazing, please let us know how the procedure goes and take pictures!

3. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

Cells I found are about as much as you can fit in the plastic battery frame... all wired up, canvas just put them through a charge cycle, seems to work. Just need to tape these up and screw it all back in (all just sitting loose for testing).

Attached Files:

stormi, Marty, jbaks and 1 other person like this.
  4. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

amazing thx for showing this, maybe more people can attempt this. Do you have link to the batteries?

5. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow nice work. I just recently disassembled a Vaio Z Canvas battery to see if I can find any replacement cells. Good to know, that the battery circuit will still work, if the original cells get disconnected.
    Do you have a link for the cells you used?
    Are the cells spec'ed to fit the charging and discharging currents of the Canvas?

What I found is that the Canvas uses Sony US864288H2 cells (numbers match the exact dimensions) and I found one seller in China: https://baoan.1688.com/offer/579285395992.html
    One cell is less that a buck! but the min. order number is 1000 pcs :p

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...but the min. order number is 1000 pcs...>>

@stormi ...Have you tried Alibaba?

7. stormi

@Steve S Yes, the link I posted was the only place I was able to find those batteries unfortunately.

8. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

First up, I have a spare pack with fresh cells ready to go if someone wants to buy it... and if one wants, send me the machine and I'll do it all and you can skip the hassle. I promise to be cheaper than Vaio's quoted $1000 :)
    (spent hours looking for these dang cells, would like to sell this if I can)

Anyways... manufacturers can do all kinds of shenanigans outside of the cells, from cycle counters to fuses and stupid pull-up resistors... but pretty much if you can replace the cell itself, things will work. Was just about finding the largest cell that could fit. I couldn't find exact matches to the 864288... when you grok the six number format you can run through lists of cells on sites pretty quick.

But I've already given the game away with the photo (if this was a game)... 398088's ... and as soon as I type that in they're not hard to find. As Steve just said, AliExpress. The do come with a cell protection circuit of some kind, but I just went around that as Vaio has their own such circuit that also has what I assume is a thermistor temp sensor and such (which I'm curious if it can flag itself as a bad pack or if it's just for safety cutoff that resets when it cools back down).

"Are the cells spec'ed to fit the charging and discharging currents of the Canvas?"... pretty much all lithium cells are 3.7 nominal voltage, full at 4.2v full. There's no current drain or charging issues as it's multiple hours to drain and multiple hours to charge, which is rather weak-sauce in battery charge/discharge rates. They have 19C written on them, which generally means they're rated to 19 x capacity discharge rate, which means they can go from full to flat in 6 minutes sustained load and be OK (thanks goes to radio control planes, helis and cars for pushing charge/discharge rate tech forward: we can happily discharge in under 6 minutes :) ) . The Vaio Canvas is power hungry for a laptop, but not quite THAT power hungry.

My fixed battery pack is doing fine so far, happily charging to from flat to 100% as reported by windows no problem... no more paranoia of making sure it's plugged in, back to casually disregarding the power plug like when I first got the machine.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Tapas and stormi like this.
  9. stormi

@theKM Yep, already found the pictured batteries on AliExpress shortly after my post ;)

Though I'll try to get the mentioned Sony US864288H2 cells. Since the site from the link I posted also belongs to Alibaba (as well as Aliexpress) I went ahead and requested a price for a small quantity on alibiaba.com

Marty likes this.
  10. Tapas

Tapas Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to get some of these cells or complete package. Can't believe the canvas is still working, although touchscreen has been finicky of late. Now if only I could get a new keyboard :) This has been a workhorse for over 3 years and not slowing down.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2019 at 4:24 PM