How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

are you still able to use the machine? In the vaio control manager did you keep your battery charge at 80% or go all the way to 100%? Also did you keep your canvas on high power the entire time you had it as well as use it for intensive tasks that raised the temp like adobe Photoshop work or any programs that were intensive?

Sorry to hear about the problem, let us know how contacting vaio went. It seems to be a recurring problem that has cropped up countless times on this forum.

2. laalaa99stl

laalaa99stl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. Responding to you using it right now.

In three years time I didn't even know there was such an option as 80%.

Mix of both "silent" and "high performance" depending on what I was doing.

How many have been effected so far? What would be the threshold for a class action to make sense? I've had old laptops no longer hold their charge before (I'm looking at you Motion Computing), but I've never experienced this kind of catastrophic failure. So much for vaunted Japanese engineering. Phooey! My next machine will be a Surface Book 2.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  3. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

They call it Battery Care:

[​IMG]

I also had too much faith on Vaio. A premium price for such a deceiving product. Mine has the erratic pen issue that lots of users complain about.

4. jbaks

Well Vaio the Japanese company is having to fund their current projects with startup(GOFUNDME) campaigns I dont think a lawsuit is a viable solution to this problem. The failure rate on just this forum is absurdly high, and given that we can assume the owners list that has chimed in here is probably a infinitesimal slice of the canvas owners one can only assume the worst. It could be as high as 50% or higher. Iv had my canvas now for over a year and luckily iv had no issues but then iv taken precautions as we have discussed in the other threads for the canvas on this forum. Of course Iv the weird curser thing as well, their is an software issue or some sorts that doesnt like touch input with the browers making using the internet with touch I crappy experience. I still love my machine tho and I will use it like I do all my other computers till it cant be used any more. Its not a good idea to sell your problems to unsuspecting buyers even if you tell them the truth as its bad business.

Any ways, if their is anything else you can tell us about your usage that might give us some more input in preventing our machines from the same issue im all ears. I think temperature is the main culprit here, that battery does not like to be abused in any way. If your doing intensive tasks with it keeping the temps in the 90's and 100's Celsius constantly the premature failure of the battery is the outcome is what Im suspecting with this. The canvas was/is a unique piece of hardware fitting in all the power of a regular laptop people would use for intensive tasks in a tablet form factor, maybe the battery needs a bit more room to breath and when it gets hot their is no way for it to expand even the slightest being stuck in the form factor that it is and it caused pressure points on it and we all know battery's dont like heat or pressure.

The only tasks I do with my canvas besides drawing/painting is business( low system usage) and internet. My temps usually stay in the 40s/50s/60s celsius for the most part and I keep my power profile set to balanced almost 100% of the time along with not letting it charge to a 100% like in the picture above.

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Could you link the page for this?

6. jbaks

It was for the vaio s11, their campaign was funded already and the laptop is for sale. https://us.vaio.com/vaio-s11/ I should have taken a SS, It was a few months ago.

7. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think heat is the issue here. The heat is generated at a completely different spot than the battery and also the case doesn't heat up enough that it should cause any issue on the battery (at least on my unit). Issues with not enough room for the battery sound more plausible (Samsung Galaxy Note anyone) but based on my disassembly the battery doesn't seem to be crammed in any more than in any other Notebook.
    In my opinion the cause is either bad cells or bad design of the battery/cell management circuit (imbalanced charging/discharging of the cells or allowing them to draw more current than they should be allowed).

8. mzy2240

mzy2240 Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe it is a quality issue for the battery they are using. I have contacted the customer service and they said the new battery cost $300 and the total may cost $400-500 which is crazy.

9. laalaa99stl

laalaa99stl Pen Pal - Newbie

At least they are consistent in what they are quoting people. $300 for the battery (!!!) plus minimum $150 for labor plus $20 return shipping plus around $15 to ship it to them in the first place. So $485 bare minimum. Not gonna happen. VAIO may have a Japanese pedigree, but in terms of quality and service, they are indistinguishable from any other Chinese company now.

My threat to switch to a Surface Book 2 was an empty one, unfortunately. I simply don't have a spare $2400 atm. Plus I'm not absolutely thrilled with it. USB-C and discrete graphics would be awesome -- to say nothing about better battery life with a battery that doesn't swell up (that we know of so far).
    But the gammut isn't wide enough. And I gotta admit, I really love the VZC's kickstand that others find annoying.

My current ghetto solution is to use an external battery pack -- a Crave 50,000 mah lithium pack. Problem with this setup (aside from the obvious inergonomcs of it) is that the pack automatically shuts off if the power draw drops too low -- such as when the machine is in sleep. Subsequently sleep is no longer an option. I have to use hibernate ("shutdown /h" from the command line). When people ask me wtf, I just shrug and say hey this is VAIO quality now.

10. jbaks

The last bit is sad to hear. Im sorry you have to deal with that, you would expect vaio to have some resemblance of the past sony company that everyone loved.