How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm so sorry to hear about that! :( That's terrible...

Did you cut the battery leads one each time or both at once?

2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

send me your email, i need another keyboard or some way to contact you. I also sent you a conversation through the forum here.

And I am as well sorry to hear that your machine went bad on you. Could you give us a few paragraphs on how you used it exactly? I got some questions if you don't mind. In the Vaio control center their is an option so that the battery doesn't charge past 80%, did you ever used that function? Iv been using it since I bought my Canvas. Also, their is a setting in the Vaio control center that you can set the overall power usage to keep temps down by setting it to standard instead of on performance.

I think whats causing the battery issue is this tablet isn't meant to be used at full throttle 100% of the time in performance mode as temps can reach in the 100 Celsius or at the very least in the upper 90's. My temps usually stay idling cool in the 40's but when I'm multitasking they can reach in the 80's. Did you ever check your temps? How did you use your tablet? Did you use it all the time as your main machine? What kind of intense applications did you use on a consistent basis? Any adobe or gaming or some other software that will cause the temps to constantly spike in the high range?

Sorry to beat a dead horse, I know its not fun to talk about a broken tablet that was alot of money that went bad on you but it makes it easier for the owners of this machine, me included in that group, so that we can prevent it from happening to us by your tips and suggestions on how you used your machine and what you think might have caused it as this is obviously a well documented and known problem that many owners have had with this machine. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  3. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

It is one cable that connects the battery so I just cut it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018
  4. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

I knew the 80% function and had used it before, but not always. I had HWMonitor installed and was aware of the temparature. Nothing raising an alarm. Never gaming with it and only use photoshop of the adobe family.
    It was mostly a great tablet/laptop and I do not regret having it.

5. Tallen2

Tallen2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I found a good fix.

just the outer plastic was swollen. I opened the computer just enough to slice the outer case and press the air out.

The inner batteries were not sliced so there is typically no fire hazard but wear protective equipment just in case

Others have said they got replacements, but would not say how. I called Vaio and was quoted $ 1,500. They would not consider selling one to me.

There are posers on this sight so beware. This will probably be deleted because it is a free cure but I tried.

Tallen

6. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

@Tallen2 Uhh doesn't sound like a safe procedure :eek: Are you sure that it was only the outer plastic protection? Doesn't make sense to me because pressure builds up from the inside of Li-Ion batterys.

7. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

and the saga gets even more convoluted

8. Tallen2

Tallen2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Stormi: It didn't appear to penetrate the batteries themselves, just an outer cover. Maybe it had moister in it but it operates fine now and doesn't appear to overheat. I am charging much less, unplugging when reaching 98% or so.