How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. ANDYlai

ANDYlai Pen Pal - Newbie

Try find a shop which can remove the battery, this vaio can work without battery and just with ac adaptor, just be ware remove the battery may destroy the screen

2. accela

accela Pen Pal - Newbie

I've got the same battery swelling problem on the z canvas and I'm super sad about it as this is by far my favorite tablet. (I understand now it was likely from overcharging).

I've looked through this thread and want to make sure I understand this correctly: the best ways to replace the battery are either sending in to vaio for repair or getting the battery part directly from vaio by relinquishing their responsibility?
    (I have experience refurbishing electronics like phones and PC parts but have not opened the canvas before.)

I sent an email to (Vaio) support and they suggested sending it in with a $99 deposit and it would cost at least $185 for the part, but understandably did not give an estimate to the total cost. The repair costs in this thread seem to be a wide range so I'm not sure what to expect. thanks ahead of time for everyone's help, this has been very useful!

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The repair costs in this thread seem to be a wide range so I'm not sure what to expect...>>

...A couple of owners have opened their ZCs, so if you can get the right tools that's something that you can do. At that point, you could opt to simple disconnect and remove the battery and run on the AC adaptor (assuming, of course, that the swelling didn't break anything internally).

Alternatively, you could opt to send your ZC back to VAIO with instructions not to proceed if repairs exceed a certain amount. At that point, you might be able to negotiate for a replacement battery that you could install without liability to VAIO.

Frankly, I've been puzzled by the diverse stories that owners have been telling about this issue. One would think that VAIO would have a uniform position on battery replacements, and I don't mean $1500. That's ridiculous. I would continue to press VAIO to stand behind their product with a reasonable service charge...

4. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having the same issue. Got the same reply from Tatsuya about $100 inspection mail in. Seems like the best way is to request a battery part from them?

Attached Files:

• side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      103.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Philip Lesslar

Philip Lesslar Pen Pal - Newbie

6. Philip Lesslar

Philip Lesslar Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, the same thing happened to me early this year. Vaio support desk in the US asked me to ship to their support center in the US but are not able to estimate cost or even success. I'm in Malaysia and US is quite a way off. I estimated that the costs of shipping (to and from) plus repairs will easily cost half what I paid for the pc - at least. They will not sell me a battery or help with instructions on how to open. Quite disappointing. I went and bought an Asus Zenbook 3. Very happy with it. But am still looking for a way to replace my Canvas battery and use it as a backup or processing machine.

Would appreciate some guidance on opening the Canvas Z. I didn't try too hard as I was worried about damaging the screen.

7. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

well, i took it apart to remove the battery. Before i started, the computer already refused to charge. But now with the battery removed and ac adapter plugged in, the indicator light on computer was off, and the indicator light on the adapter became blinking. Could this be that the bad battery destroyed some of the power supply chip?

8. HawkLS

HawkLS Pen Pal - Newbie

Be sure that there is no sort of short circuit...

9. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

When detaching the battery, my screwdriver didn't work so I cut the battery cable. Could that be an issue?

10. zywang

zywang Pen Pal - Newbie

Confirmed motherboard shocked. RIP my vaio z canvas.

btw, please contact me if you need any of the parts (keyboard, pen, anything else except the ssd)