How to replace swollen Battery on Vaio Z Canvas

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by moti n, Jul 8, 2017.

1. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Good Day! I have had my VAIO® Z Canvas for more than 12 months and in the last 2 months, it seems that the case has started to open as a result of a very swollen battery. I have no idea what to do.

Has anyone else had this issue too?

I am attaching some pics of the case showing the bulging at the top of the case and of the battery I took out

It looks like the battery has a fault and Sony has told me I have no warranty even that I gave them all the reasons that it looks like it's a defect

pls can anyone help me to find a new battery like this
    67A52ED2-7A7E-408B-BDE3-3034F3934675.JPG BE54EEBC-70F2-4D4E-8B04-A2FA7487E043.JPG 67A52ED2-7A7E-408B-BDE3-3034F3934675.JPG 20170708_074958815_iOS (2).jpg 20170708_074954054_iOS.jpg 20170708_083343063_iOS.jpg 67A52ED2-7A7E-408B-BDE3-3034F3934675.JPG BE54EEBC-70F2-4D4E-8B04-A2FA7487E043.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

When you contacted Sony, did you ask them about purchasing a replacement battery for the device?

a simple google search doesn't seem to be turning up much for the model number. (Assuming that it's the VJ88PS47 number visible in the above photos)

3. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much , all communications till now with them was to get them replace repair my unit even that according to them my warranty finished.

I think that such case deserves extra care from them but seems the service we were used to get from Sony is not what we get these days from the company using the Vaio brand.

Any way till now I can't seem to find the part by google.

But emailed them if they can help me buy one battery like this.

Let's hope they will help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...It looks like the battery has a fault and Sony has told me I have no warranty...>>

...Why are you talking to Sony about this? VAIO is a separate company; you should be talking to them.

Regarding your battery, this failure mode used to be quite common. In more recent years, flat pak cells have improved to the point that this seldom happens but, unfortunately, it still occasionally occurs. Since you mention that the problem started a couple of months ago, you should be able to go to VAIO and make a case for a replacement or at least a repair. I think it unlikely that you will be able to find a replacement battery on the open market. The ZC is something of a niche design and I don't think that "large" numbers of it have sold, thus there is not much demand for parts in the replacement market.

In any event, I hope that you are able to get this resolved with VAIO. A one-year old tablet shouldn't fail like this!

Good luck.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks so much when I said Sony I mean Vaio sorry.

Now that I took the battery out and sent pictures to them yesterday I'll need to wait for Monday to get them answering me.

For now and as I am out of USA I am not able to go to them hopefully they would like to help me repair exchange to sell me one battery.

Thanks for Any more ideas.

6. Steve S

Regarding your "puffy" battery, here's a classic example of the problem from "the bad old days."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electrovaya...919570?hash=item4b07c55312:g:Q38AAOSwFdtXzcdq

Electrovaya was something of a poster-child for this problem. They got a lot of bad blog postings from those customers who were unfortunate enough to suffer the problem. As time went on, they eventually got the problem under control but as I said previously, it still occurs occasionally. (PS, the PowerPad model pictured in the eBay ad is really old. I'm surprised that any of them are still around!)

Some additional information sources:

http://learningrc.com/puffed-lipos/
    https://www.howtogeek.com/244846/what-to-do-when-your-phone-or-laptop-has-a-swollen-battery/
    https://www.tekrevue.com/swollen-battery/

Note that there is a common theme in all of these articles: Once a lithium cell has expanded, the only thing you can do is to properly dispose of it. Because batteries are seldom (really almost never) warrantied for more than 6 months or a year, your only real option may be a straight repair rather than warranty service.

Again, good luck!

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  7. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you so
    Much for the detailed answer / samples.

My problem that with out a battery I am out of usage.

Sure the lap tops lucky me starts with out a battery in the case but if they don't like to help me what then !

8. Steve S

I think they will help you, but it's going to have to be in terms of a repair, not warranty service...

9. moti n

moti n Pen Pal - Newbie

As it's not Sony do u have any one you know there ?

Do u think they would like the idea that the battery is outside ?

10. Steve S

The VAIO contact page is here:

http://us.vaio.com/contacts/

Chris or one of the other support reps will help you. Given that the battery ruptured your case, I don't think that anyone will blame you for removing the battery. As the articles suggest, it's dangerous if it gets punctured and it easily could have been...