How to reenable your usb ports - a guide

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by swb, Oct 12, 2016.

1. swb

swb Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone,
    While searching for a solution to the disabled usb ports which I had, I soon realized that this was a fairly common problem.

Consequently, here is one solution for reenabling the ports.
    1. Obtain an ISO or installation disc of your copy of Windows. (There are still safe and legal ways to do this.)

You will be installing it on an external hard drive or separate partition.

2. If you are installing Windows 7 on an external hard drive, use the following link to download from another computer the utility needed to install it: http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/win7onusb then follow the instructions there. Be aware that your target drive will _not_ be C!!

3. Boot into external hard drive or separate partition. Do this by punching function keys before Windows starts up. For an EP 121, esc is boot order. When the temporary Windows installation starts up do not register or activate the copy!

From another computer download device manager alternative devmanview from the following link: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html. Save that zipped folder to a flash drive.

4. Insert a usb hub on your non-functioning computer. You will need at least three usb ports if your temporary Windows OS is on an external hard drive. Plug in keyboard/mouse and flash drive. Ignore any dialog boxes which appear.

5. The long one. Open up start menu and navigate to Computer. (There you'll see that you have two local discs, C: and whatever you named the temporary one.) Double click on your flash drive, and find the zipped folder. Open it up and run the utility. (There is no need to extract the contents of the folder.) A list of all the devices and drivers will populate. These are for the temporary copy of Windows. To see the drivers and devices for C, hit F9 or mouse up to Options, and select Advanced Options in the drop down list. In the dialog which opens, select the radio button which says "External Windows directory:" and choose your hard drive from the list (it was the only option in my case). Wait a few seconds while your own devices and drivers list is being populated. Then look for any usb driver or port which is disabled (small red x) and enable it.

6. Now shut down the computer and unplug the usb devices, otherwise your computer may try to boot into them.

7. Reboot. Your usb ports should be functioning!!! Welcome back to a working computer.

I suspect there are easier ways to do this, but having tried just about everything out there, this method actually reenabled the ports.

This is obviously a last resort, but I think it's _far_ better than having to clean install.

Someone else may want to try ReactOS instead of a Windows ISO.

I wonder though whether devcon could reenable the usbs, from the repair disc/repair partition environment.