How to open and upgrade HDD

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JohnathanKong, Mar 15, 2011.

1. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

You can put the system image on anything that's large enough.. It needs to be the entire size of your slates drive.. So at least 32 or 64gigs. You can get USB sticks that big, but they aren't super common yet. I made my system image on an external hard drive.

2. Cloak

Cloak Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. These boards were a real asset in helping me make a decision about purchasing the EP121. I love this thing!

I recently picked up the Crucial M4 mSata 256gb drive, to upgrade from my 64gb default SSD. However, I am running into a bit of a snag...
    I want to just do a clone of the disk onto the new one, without having to reformat/reinstall from scratch. I have quite a few programs with everything set just right, and I also have a couple of projects to work on that I'd like to use the EP121 for, so ideally I'd like to just pop the new drive in, boot up and be on my way.

I thought I accomplished this earlier today, but when I went to power the tablet on, it gave me the "Cannot find a bootable media, please insert boot media" or something along those lines. I'm thinking perhaps I didn't clone the drive correctly...

Here's where it gets interesting. I have a couple of the mSata to Sata adapter bays for these drives. I also happen to have a couple of Sata/IDE to USB cables (powered), so I can connect both of the mSata SSD drives to my desktop to perform the cloning procedure. However, I am stuck as to what program to use!

I've tried and have Reflect, DriveImage XML, EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition, but still no dice. When I first copied the drive I used Roadkil.

Could someone please help me figure this out? I don't have any extra cash to plunk down on Acronis, otherwise I would consider getting that... But a free program would be fantastic. I've done this with desktops before, just cloning the drive and being able to boot from it and carry on without having to reformat etc... I would like to do that with these SSD drives.

So just to recap what I have...

Default SanDisk 64gb SSD
    Crucial M4 256gb SSD (upgrade)
    2 adapter trays for mSATA to SATA.
    2 SATA/IDE (2.5 and 3.5) to USB cable adapters.

Thanks so much in advance, every one.
    I really hope I can get this nailed down soon!

3. Cloak

Cloak Pen Pal - Newbie

Can I perform all of these steps using Macrium Reflect?
    I'm definitely looking forward to getting to the step where you sit back and enjoy life ;)
    Well, mostly the sitting back. :D

4. Loren

Loren Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, I have done it using Macrium Reflect - I dumped Acronis a few months ago.

5. random5000

random5000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anybody successfully upgraded the SSD *without* updating the BIOS? Installed a 256Gb Crucial in a friend's computer and it's not working (managed to successfully install windows 8 and get it up and running but it was very unstable, and it didn't take long before the frequent crashes wrecked the windows install. Could fix that, but it would just happen again.) Since it's not my computer, I really don't want to update the BIOS unless there really is no other option.

Buying another drive is an option. I'm looking at the mydigitaldiscount bp4 120gb.

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

You are cross threading the same post...try delete one..and there are lots of discussions on the ssd in this forum...using search function or scroll down the thread oage will find your answer easily..

7. SurrealPhotog

SurrealPhotog Pen Pal - Newbie

I was able to install the drive but I can't get the system image to load. I've tried using Macrium reflect but don't know how to use it and can't find instructions. Can anyone help? I've been at it for three days.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

because you are using a free trial version?

9. themall247

themall247 Pen Pal - Newbie

Please Help Me . I bought the crucial 256 gig ssd and I now need to update to the 704-mod bios. Ive searched for it for 2 days and cant find it anywhere. Will you please provide a link for me? I have search this site and many others and I am just so frustrated I havnt been able to get this thing to work.