How to open and upgrade HDD

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JohnathanKong, Mar 15, 2011.

1. rainman50

rainman50 Slate Newbie

Would anyone be willing to do the upgrade for me? I will provide the parts. I need to upgrade to the biggest SSD HDD and Memory. This is for the ASUS EEE SLATE 32gb.

Let me know how much.

2. IsYet

IsYet Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. I also went to the Crucial site and did a lookup there.
    I assumed this was standard. I'm learning. :eek:

I'm putting the ssd in my tx2 so I can see how Windows 8 feels with a keyboard.

3. DallasVette

DallasVette Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure how many are gonna jump on an offer where the risk of loss is over $1000....kinda like jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

4. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Thanks for everybody before me with all of their comments.

5. Thibault

Thibault Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to all of you and thanks to those who have explored the possibilities of the ep121.

I ordered a renice x3 kevlar 120 GB msata ssd.

I know well and I use Acronis softare except I bought them for XP, my versions do not support Win 7

I thought and I think you can speed up the above process by Meatlocker
    by copying directly the inner ssd to the neww ssd connected as a USB disk (the Renice Kevlar has a sata interface included so you can use it in a SATA external drive box).

I think acronis disk director can do that.

but since I had very little storage available I wanted to use acronis migrate easy 7 (only 13,9 MBytes), I downloaded to evaluation version I read in the data sheet that it was complete on windows for 15 days.

I made a boot USB with it, but I realised, I could not upgrade with that evaluation version.

In the end I uniinstalled it, I had to restart the computer to remove it completely, I did so.

but I forgot to unplug the usb key, it was a 8 Gb key, when the ep121 booted on it it was written no system (may be 8 GB was not enough to create a full
    bootable usb key).

but now windows 7 does no start anymore

I have no backup (I have just booted the ep121 with a bootable usb ubuntu key to get back my data).

It should not be a too hard problem because I have only attempted to start I did not asked to write anything in memory.

I have no usb DVD reader to use asus recovery DVDs

6. Thibault

Thibault Pen Pal - Newbie

in the end I made it but with difficulties

I bought acronis disk director 11 on the web (a special offer package with acronis true image 12).

thanks to the fact the renice 120 GB kevlar comes with a mSata Sata adaptor and that I had a sata hard drive usb case, I could plug the disk to the tablet and ask disk director to clone the inside 32 GB disk to the 120 GB disk.

I used the following parameters :
    basic disk cloning, as is cloning, copy of the NT signature.

[ in fact it took me several attempts to do that, I wanted to use acronis disk director 10 on my other XP pc to make several partitions and make the system partition bigger, none of them worked, acronis disk director 10 does not seem to handle SSD properly (as opposed to disk director 11), It took me my all sunday to realise that]

in the end today I managed to open the asus ep121 I previously dread to open, thanks to the sticky post of this forum and the first videos mentionned (with those video it is almost more difficult to close well the ep121 after than to open it).

N.B take care to check the ram is well seated, the first time the ep 121 did not boot because of that, I corrected it and it worked.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. captaincook

captaincook Pen Pal - Newbie

People,

Thank you for posting all this information about upgrading HDD. I have the 4 / 64 slate so upgrading to 80GB is not worth it. Came across conflicting posts about the Renice 120GB - so wondering if that is a safe way to go.. In fact Agent 9 in this posts says not to use that drive....
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/38708-ep121-hard-drive-memory-upgrade-5.html

So has anyone used the mydigitalssd drive?
    MyDigitalSSD 128GB 50mm Bulletproof mSATA SSD | My Digital Discount

Or what about this one from OCZ?
    Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 120 GB Nocti Series 3.0 Gb-s Slim mSATA SATA II Solid State Drive (NOC-MSATA-120G): Electronics

I know that the 256 GB are not yet in the market - but if anyone can let me know which 128 gb to go for, I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks already....

8. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi new user, but I thought I should mention I bought the mydigitaldiscount one and it works great. 128GB. Overall you have about 100GB left after the recovery disk install and all the updates. No problems so far. Performance feels normal also (not any slower or faster).

9. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT240GB-DX mSATA 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT240GB-DX mSATA 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The above 240GB mSata works.

And if you don't have a USB hub/mouse/dvd you can alter the above procedure to use USB drives.

a. Create a bootable Windows Install USB drive using your Windows 7 ISO file with the (Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool : not standard you'll need to download this from Microsoft)

b. Install Windows 7 on the new SSD

c. Boot into Repair Windows with <F8>

d. Select Restore System Image and use the system image you made earlier (you'll still need a USB keyboard)

e. Use <TAB> to navigate instead of mouse.

10. goat

goat Scribbler - Standard Member

OK, I want to say the Geil 8GB RAM does not work with the EP121 but Geil was so helpful I will buy from them in the future. They are sending 8GB RAM to ASUS to test in the EP121.

Now as far as the SSD upgrade procedure goes it was mostly straight forward:

Tools:
    a. 4GB USB Key with Windows 7 Ultimate
    b. 300GB USB Seagate drive with the image from my 64GB EP121 Windows Install previously backed up (Windows Backup used)
    c. USB Keyboard (less than $10.00)
    d. cheap $2.00 'mini-screwdriver' set from Walmart, K-Mart, where ever...

1. I Used a straight edge screwdriver to slowly work around the edge of the EP121 (look for the tabs).
    a. There is a grounding wire on the USB port side connected to the back. Be careful not to disconnect it.
    2. The mSata had a piece of copper tape over the mSata drive: I could only remove it be tearing it. Serves no other purpose than to let ASUS know the SSD has been replaced or at least looked at.
    3. The mSata was replaced by removing 2 phillips screws and swapping drives and replacing the screws.
    4. The back cover was replaced by starting on the end opposite the USB ports, aligning, and carefully pressing the cover back into place. In places where the snapping wasn't tight I used the straight edge to lightly push in the tabs while pressing the cover down.
    5. Using the USB keyboard from here on out; I install Windows 7 Ultimate booting off the USB Key (fast to install and fast to boot).
    6. Attaching the Windows Backup Image USB Drive; I reboot and <F8> to 'Repair Windows' -> Restore From System Image
    a. It doesn't like this: It tells me that it needs a System Repair Disk or Install Media USB or DVD to reformat the disk.
    b. I don't have a System Repair Disk or a USB DVD drive or even if I did, I don't have a USB Hub!!!
    7. Sooo...I reboot off the USB Key having the Windows 7 Install Media and choose 'System Repair'
    a. I choose that and swap the Install USB Key out for the Windows 7 System Image Backup USB Drive
    b. It complains it can't 'find the install media' when I then hit enter...so I hit enter again and it...
    (it must already have been loaded in RAM)
    restores the Windows 7 image from the USB drive I made the previous evening from the EP121 (takes a hour or two)
    c. In retrospect, I probably could have skipped steps 5 & 6 and just did 7.
    8. After the restore has finished I log in and see that it only shows 59GB available (that was size of the EP121 image I saved)
    a. I go into the Disk Manager and extend the partition to the entire Mushkin mSata SSD 240GB
    (the size is 223GB total including the previous 59GB)

So I have now a machine I can use as a desktop work machine and a laptop/tablet I pleased. I would have been thrilled had the 8GB worked too, although I still may try to set up an os X virtual machine on this computer it's not the kind of thing I can leave running in the background and to other work: With 4GB you are restricted to one memory intensive app at a time.

Last edited: May 3, 2012