How to open and upgrade HDD

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JohnathanKong, Mar 15, 2011.

1. JohnathanKong

JohnathanKong Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys,

Here's a quick video of me opening up my slate and upgrading the HDD. I did it in two parts because I didn't want to waste too much time trying to figure out how to upgrade the drive.

Here is how I opened the slate. I wasn't behind the camera, so when I cracked it open I didn't realize that I wasn't in the picture. I have a network card coming in the mail, so if I get a chance, I will make a better video of this.

YouTube - Opening The Asus Eee Slate

The second video is uploading at the moment. Will edit and post after.

2. JohnathanKong

Hey guys,

Just finished uploading the second video. I struggled for like 3 and a half mins to gett he back plate on. It was a total failure, so I cut it out. What sucks is that right after I stopped recording, the back panel popped on.

Anyways, here is the second video

YouTube - Asus Eee Slate Upgrading HDD

As mentioned before, when my network card comes in, I might make a better video.

3. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

thank you so much for these videos! I have been a little stressed out knowing my ssd is on the way and i was going to have to figure this out.. I feel much more confident now.. Great contribution!

thanks,

IC

4. JohnathanKong

I just installed Windows Ultimate. It's late, so I'm going to sleep soon, but it was a breeze and is up and running. I have default touch, but am currently downloading all drivers. I'm really excited because now I have enough space to actually use the system like a work system.

5. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome work Johnathan! Can't wait to get my HD in the mail soon!

6. CMMD-Z

CMMD-Z Pen Pal - Newbie

Btw, the best way that I've figured out to opening the unit w/o damaging is using something equivalent to a credit card to help pry it open. Starting from where the USB like you've done. Closing it is also a piece of cake. You just start from one end and while applying pressure; run your thumb along the edges of the tablet. Specifically on the plastic where the connector tabs meet the aluminum.

7. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

8. JohnathanKong

Closing it is much harder for me than opening it. I tried to close it so I couls show it in the video, but it didn't snap together properly.

9. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

I'll take measurements and photos when I open my slate this Friday. I'll report my findings in this post.

IC

10. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, that would be great. I'm wondering if the screw holes are in different places and whether the holes on the larger SSD would line up to the bracket in the slate.