1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

How to install Windows 7 on ATIV Smart PC pro 700T

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Lanzer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer Pen Pal - Newbie

The new 700T is definitely an upgrade from the Slate 7. Unfortunately the bundled Windows 8 have countless known problems with Wacom stylus hardware that neither Wacom or it's partners have any intention of fixing. Using Photoshop CS6 on the Smart PC 700T is a crummy experience even with all the patches and tricks out there.

Outside of returning my tablet, I opted to downgrade with Windows 7. Even with some missing drivers, running Win 7 simply made Photoshop usable on my 700t.

Trying install through a USB boot disk won't work unless it's a Win 8 recovery disk. So the easiest option for me was to install Windows 7 while running Windows 8. My goal is to setup for dual boot with Win 7 and Win 8, in case one day Wacom kindly fix their drivers, we can always go back quickly and easily.

Before you begin, you need to have a copy of Windows 7 setup disk available through USB drive. If you don't have a USB DVD-ROM, just copy the contents of your Windows 7 setup disk on to a USB drive.

* Before you begin, note that not all Windows 7 setup works while running Windows 8. So this is the point where you try running Windows 7 setup and see if it exhibit any errors. What you want is to see the optional choice of "download updates from the internet" as the first step. After declining that option, setup will continue error free. Ones that doesn't offer such choice will result in error right at the beginning. If you get to the point of select upgrade or custom install, you're in good shape. You can abort setup and follow the rest of this guide. This seems to work on my Windows 7 Professional. Please let us know if your copy works or not.

First, you'll need to adjust your BIOS settings to allow for booting into Windows 7

- Shutdown
    - Hold on to the volume - button then hit power
    - Select "Enter Setup". You'll now be in the Samsung BIOS Configuration
    - Hit the right arrow key and navigate to the green button labeled Boot
    - Hit the down arrow key once to select "Secure Boot", hit spacebar and switch this setting to "Off"
    - A new option called OS Mode Selection will appear, hit enter and select "CSM and UEFI OS"
    - Hit F10 and select "Yes" to save changes

Now that you can boot any operating system, it's time to create a new partition to dual boot Win 7.

* There are many guides for using Disk Manager to setup for dual boot. If this is your first time using Disk Manager, I highly encourage you to read through such articles as they have pictures to accompany each step of the process. (How to Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 On the Same PC)

- Boot back into Windows 8
    - Select the search feature and type "Computer Management"
    - On the left column, click on "Disk Management"
    - Right click on your C: and select "Shrink Volume..."
    * DO NOT use the default values, as you'll be left with no space to start the Win 7 setup
    - Enter 50,000 megabyte of space to shrink, leaving you 57gigs for Win 8
    - Right click on new partition, select "New Simple Volume..."
    - Stay with the recommended size and click "Next"
    - Assign a drive letter, click "Next", then select to format the drive as NTFS
    * Be sure to name your new volume something like "windows7" to avoid confusion with your Win8 partition

The rest is easy. Just install Windows 7. There are some items to keep in mind:
    - Don't select the option to "download updates form the internet", that option would always fail and abort setup
    - DO NOT select "upgrade windows" as you don't want to overwrite Windows 8
    - Under custom setup, when you specify your new drive, setup will complain about it not being drive C, just hit okay to skip the warning

The reset of the setup is pretty straight foward. Now when your system boots up, you'll be greeted with a boot menu. What you need to know is that:
    * up and down volume keys let you choose between menu choices
    * screen rotation lock button (right next to the power button) selects the option

Once Win 7 setup is completed, you'll find that you have no wireless access, and the touchpad won't even work. Luckily the stylus still works. So it's time to boot back into Windows 8 and download the drivers that you'll need:

* link - Support - Tablet PCs XE700T1A | Samsung Tablet PCs
    - Wireless LAN,INTEL (Driver) (ver.15.0.0.75)
    - Wacom Digitizer Pen (Driver) (ver.7.0.2.27)
    - Chipset (Driver) (ver.9.2.0.1019)
    - Intel Rapid Storage (Driver) (ver.10.1.5.1001)

* I've tried the Tablet PC driver from Wacom's website and it seem to make the stylus hyper sensitive. I had it uninstalled and installed Samsung's drivers back

Link - http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ivers&OSFullname=Windows 7 (64-bit)*&lang=eng
    - This is the video/audio driver

This will get all the essential components working, though there are still problems such as:
    - SM Bus Controller not recognized
    - One USB controller not recognized, though USB ports seems to work fine
    - Occasionally, hibernation fails to restore where you left off
    - PaintDock doesn't seem to work, have to use ArtDock or SlatePal

I'll try to work out the rest of the problems and post updates as they're fixed, but this will get any 700T owners to finally have proper stylus control in Photoshop.

Good luck and have fun drawing!
  2. dri

dri Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this thread is almost a year old but did you or Wacom resolve the driver issues in Windows 8. Tbh I want to get this and keep windows 7 installed. Any pearls of wisdom?
  3. Lanzer

Lanzer Pen Pal - Newbie

I would steer away from the ATIV 700T if your goal is to run Photoshop. Wacom never released a driver that works well in Windows 8, and Windows 7 never worked quite right at the end.
  4. dri

dri Pen Pal - Newbie

So what's the difference between the Surface Pros and Lenovo Helix? You telling me they have troublesome drivers. Cheers.
  5. HD2PDA

HD2PDA Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!
    Did you got the 3G modem to run with Win7?
    If yes, i´ll buy a xe700t1c too.
    thx
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014