How to ink PDFs

Discussion in 'Software' started by booksat, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. booksat

booksat Pen Pal - Newbie

I am trying to write on PDFs. I don't want to convert to type, but want to be able to annotate in handwriting. Do I need special software to do this? Or have I simply been unable to find the function key for this?
    I am using XP, have Office 2003, and OneNote 2007.

Thanks for the help.

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

In the print dialog box of Adobe, since you have OneNote07, select the printer "Send to OneNote 2007"

It will go there as an image. You will have to adjust the margins.

Also, if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, you can ink there under the reviewing/markup- drawing tools.

Or buy PDF-Annontator. That's the easiest.

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

PDF Annotator

4. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd suggest Jarnal. I use that if I have to annotate PDFs. It's written in Java but it's open-source and works pretty decently, so I like it well enough.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

Java? Last time i heard Java programs major hog system ressources. How fast does it run on your machine? I have an old portege m200 1.5GHz with 512 ram and it lags enough running xp tablet 2005 as it is.

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I started using PDF Annotator on Monday, and I'm absolutely in love with it. I use it on my textbooks I scanned in. This morning I also used it to complete a take home quiz that I can in. At $30 for students, it was money very well spent.

7. Dark_Wolf

Dark_Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

JAva isn't that much of a system hog really, it's by no means worse than your standard .NET app. They've done a lot to improve performance on java, making it quite suitable for 'real' programs. You should have no problem whatsoever running jarnal smoothly.

8. tabletonthevista

tabletonthevista Scribbler - Standard Member

Leaftye: What did you use to scan your textbook?

Too bad the $30 price is still $10 more expensive than that one day sale a while back. Is it any different from a regular license?

9. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I use a Plustek Opticbook 3600. It has glass all the way to the edge so you can scan the entire edge without a shadow. It's pretty quick too. I can scan about 5-6 pages per minute, most of which is limited by how quickly I can turn the book around and flip pages. I had two weeks between my summer session and fall session, and I was able to scan in the books for all my classes, which included an exceptionally heavy 1200 page biology book. Usually I watch a couple movies back-to-back, or catch up on a lot of Tivo'd shows.

The student license is exactly the same as far as I can tell, but it's only supposed to be used by a student, and you're supposed to provide proof of student status.

Yeah, kinda sucks that I missed out on the $20 deal, but I wasn't interested in it back then, so whatever ya know?

10. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

So i went ahead and tried Jarnal. It does lag. And it doesn't recognise the eraser head, which is a pretty essential time saver. Don't have time to go into menues to get the eraser tip everytime, the teacher aint stopping. I guess there's just no cheaping out of PDF Annotator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.