How to fix you Eee note if stuck at bootloader

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by mcznarf, Apr 16, 2011.

1. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

Is there a way to run factory reset via dvt_check file? :(

2. l1q1d

l1q1d Pen Pal - Newbie

i exec this script in console:
    Code:
    sysparams set needUpdate 1
    and i force the Eee Note to go into update mode at the next reboot. I think that you can add it in a dvt_check script but usually if are stuck the dvt_check script will not be executed.

3. d.goryachev

Thank you !!! :) With your help i've reanimated it!

4. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the above self extracting exe file but when it looks for the destination drive it does not see my SD card. I've reformatted the SD card using windows quick format..could that be the problem. I'm also running Windows Vista.
    I'm looking to update the firmware to the latest TW version so as so get all the benefits. As I cannot understand THETWO's instructions for updating the firmware without opening the machine I thought I'd try swapping out internal SD cards.

5. burgerproductions

A follow up.
    I completely screwed my system up and so took the plunge and opened it up.
    I used a program called USB Image Tool to write pbarrette's raw image file to a new SD card, inserted it in my ENote and got the following message.
    "Start System failed. now waiting for connection of PC Tools....."
    HELP!!!!!
    I now have an useless chunk of metal.
    What can I do?

6. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi burgerproductions,

I created the raw image file using a Win32 port of dd found here:
    chrysocome.net - dd for windows

Since you are at the bootloader's recovery screen, you can also use the emergency de-bricker here:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/software/UpdateClient.zip

Download and unzip the UpdateClient software, then download the latest firmware file from here:
    Taiwanese:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeeAP/ENote_0_Rom_TW_118_0530.zip
    or Russian (newer):
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/EeeAP/ENote_0_Rom_RU_139_1011.zip

Unzip the firmware into the same directory as the UpdateClient. There should now be a directory that contains 3 files:
    UpdateClient.exe
    UpdateClient.pdb
    eTablet.rom

Plug your EeeNote into your computer with a USB cable.
    Make sure your EeeNote screen shows "waiting for connection of PC Tools....."

Drag and drop the eTablet.rom file onto the UpdateClient.exe.

It should now start loading the firmware onto the EeeNote.
    When it's done, the EeeNote will ask you to reboot.

pb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  7. burgerproductions

Thanks pbarrette,
    It took me most of an afternoon, but I managed to do it in the end.
    The reason I needed to update the firmware was because of a problem I'd encountered after downloading some updates via qtpacker. I'll outline this problem in the qtpacker thread so that others don't make the same mistake.

In the end, uploading the new firmware wasn't too difficult, once I'd got the case off, taken the internal card out and found the right program to burn the img file.
    I would recommend this link for anyone planning on burning the image file on windows Vista:How to write ICD Pro image to SD card under Windows
    The program they use is USB image Tool 1.31 and I can guarantee that it works. the instructions are very clear.

I placed the TW firmware on the player because I thought it was the newer version. What differences are there with the Russian firmware? Any improvements?

One question about your image file.
    My player now has the TW dictionary working on it but when I look in CuteExplorer I can see there are other dictionary folders also such as ru. Why do these not show up in the dictionary app?

I ported the old Italian and Longmans English dictionaries onto my machine as a seperate Stardict app, so it doesn't conflict with the main dictionary, but if I were to copy these files into the main dictionary folder would they show up in the inbuilt dictionary? And more importantly, could I search for translations of words in an Italian Epub, for instance?

Thanks for all your help. At least now I know I can update the firmware manually if necessary.

8. pranshu11

pranshu11 Pen Pal - Newbie

How to execute this code?....I am layman to programming

9. d.goryachev

I've made dvt_check file in foor of micro sd card with one line:

sysparams set needUpdate 1

rebooted device and used UpdateClient.exe with latest FW file.

10. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a new way to allow you to get past the bootloader, identified by the Chinese-speaking Mobile01 forums and brought to our attention by andy840119. It does not require access to the internal MicroSD card of the Eee Note; all you need is an external MicroSD card. I have used this method myself to get past the bootloader, so it does work. It acts by replacing the old kernel with a working one. In the process, it WILL erase all the data on your internal memory card. I believe it does not touch the data on your external MicroSD card. I also only tested replacement of the kernel, not the bootloader, so maybe just replacing the bootloader will keep your files safe. Who knows.

I specify the instructions for carrying out this method in post #16. I also provide the URLs from which to download the necessary files to do this with.

Happy unbricking!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015