How to fix you Eee note if stuck at bootloader

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by mcznarf, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mcznarf

mcznarf Pen Pal - Newbie

After being frustrated when my update failed and spending hours trying to figure out a way to fix it, I thought about writing a simple guide for a fix. People shouldn't have to read a 36 page thread for this information.

Preparations before you start:

1. Get a torx t5 key. [​IMG]

2. The updateclient. http://freeenote.org/downloads/software/UpdateClient.zip

3. An updated ROM. ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/EeeAP/ENote_0_Rom_TW_94_0308.zip

4. Place the file updateclient.exe and updateclient.pdb in the default directory in the console, most likely c:\users\*Currentusername*

5. Place the ROM etablet.rom in a directory without spaces in the name, for example c:\

6. Download english languge and other apps: http://freeenote.org/downloads/installs/FullInstall.zip

This is what you should do:

1. Unscrew the four corner screws and gently remove the short covers of the device

2. Slide the screen part of the device out of the cover. The circuits and stuff are on the screen part
    3. Remove the micro sd card from the screen part and reformat it at your computer.

4. Reinsert the micro sd card into the screen part and plug in the usb cable into your computer.

5. Restart your device. Make sure it says "connecting to PC tools" or something similar.

6. Wait for 30 seconds to make sure the usb is connected.

7. Run the windows console (startmenu -> run -> cmd).

8. Run this command in the console: "updateclient.exe c:\etablet.rom" (if you placed the ROM in c:\).

9. A lot of stuff should come up in the console and your device should start loading stuff.

10. Wait till it finishes loading, don't touch anything on your device or in the Windows console.

11. Follow the directions on your device. Reboot etc.

12. Done!

13. Your device will be in Chinese. To get it in English, put contents of fullinstall.zip on a micro sd.

14. Insert the micro sd card in the external card reader of the device. Reboot.

15. Follow the onscreen messages and install the apps you want.

16. Device in English!

Sorry if my English isn't perfect, it's not my native language.

2. Ban

Ban Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried your method and follow the steps and everything works well, until eee note showed that there is write error, and my eee note stuck in the boot loader screen and waiting pc tools to connect, and I tried the steps again (including re-format the micro SD card, and put it in the EEE note again, but again it failed. Is there anyway that I can update and reboot my eee note again. Is there anyone that can post a link where I can download the original micro sd content to reboot my eee note again. thank you very much .

3. pbarrette

pbarrette Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Ban,

It sounds like your SD card has bad sectors on it. I would suggest trying the steps over again with a new SD card.

pb

4. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the guide,

Quick question if you take apart your Eee Note does it void the warranty?

Commonsense dictates it does but just asking.

5. Ban

Ban Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the quick replies. I tried again with different SD cards, 8g from Kingston, 16g from Sandisk, but it failed at the same point. "Reading the normal kernel.... Write error. " On the lower part of the screen there is Bootloader Version: V1.0.4, Bootloader Datetime: 2011-01-26 10:55:19.
    Is there any way to get my Eee note back to normal? Thank you very much

6. l1q1d

l1q1d Pen Pal - Newbie

@mcznarf latest firmware has eng language, you need only to change the option in preference menu.

7. pbarrette

Hi Ban,

Have you tried downloading the firmware image again? You could also try an older firmware version.

I've reloaded the firmware on my Eee Note many times using the UpdateClient and an eTablet.rom image file. I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

I'll try to put together a base SD card image for the Eee Note.

pb

8. Ban

Ban Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you pbarrette. I downloaded an older firmware, but it stuck at the same spot. Thank you in advance for providing a SD card image. Thank you.

9. pbarrette

Hi Ban,

I have uploaded a couple of files to the freeenote.org site that may help you out.

The first file is:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/software/eNoteImg.exe (320MB)

This file is a self-extracting image of the internal SD card from my Eee Note. The image is a factory fresh install of the latest firmware (1.0.12.115) which has been converted to English. The image also has all of the FullInstall software pre-installed.

The image is meant for a 4GB internal SD card. To write the image, put your internal SD card into your computer and run the exe. Then select the drive letter that contains your SD card and click "Create". The SD card will then be written with the disk image. When it's complete, you can put the SD card back in your Eee Note's internal slot and boot it up.

For those who don't have a windows computer, I have also uploaded the raw disk image that has been compressed in 7zip format:
    http://freenote.peterbarrette.com/downloads/software/eNote.7z (274MB)

I hope this helps at least one person out there.

pb

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  10. Guro

Guro Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there.

I'm stuck on the same problem.
    here's the solution
    If your bootloader version 1.0.0 you can't flash the new firmware.
    first you have to flash a new bootloader ("updateclient.exe c: \ boot.rom")
    then press the 'reset' and flash the new ROM again
    "updateclient.exe c: \ etablet.rom"