HOW TO: Enable 4GB of RAM in Vista 32bit.

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

The following tip is to allow Vista 32bit to use up to 4GB of RAM in case you can't/don't-want-to upgrade to Vista 64bit and you have more than 3GB of RAM.

You can force Vista 32bit to use past 3GB of ram by enabling Page Address Extension (PAE) if you have a 64bit processor like the tx2500z, however this is limited to up to 4GB. If you want to use more than 4GB you need to upgrade to Vista 64bit or Linux.

How to enable Page Address Extension (PAE)?
    • Open Command Prompt as an Administrator. (Start Menu -> Search: 'cmd' -> Right Click -> Run as Administrator)
    • Type: BCDedit /set pae forceenable press [ENTER]
    • Restart your computer.
    • Vista should now recognize your full 4GB of memory.

What's the downside?
    Vista requires some extra work to use the extra memory addresses added by PAE, so you need to decide if the extra memory is worth the extra overhead. When it comes to programs that are not very "memory-hungry", enabling PAE may only slow down your computer.

How do I disable PAE?
    • Open Command Prompt as an Administrator.
    • Type: BCDedit /set PAE forcedisable press [ENTER]
    • Restart your computer.

2. bilgia

bilgia Pen Pal - Newbie

what kind of 'extra work' are we talking about

3. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

Bilgia: it'll be some extra processing to find where everything is.

The problem with this is that if you're using a program that uses lots of RAM it could be graphics intensive too, and this'll take the "dedicated" RAM assigned to the GPU away.

4. HellParker

HellParker Civil Engineer

Install vista SP1, and the OS will recognize the 4Gb of ram without overheat

5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As far as I know, the system recognizes the RAM in 32bit Vista, but it doesn't actually utilize it. I've got 8GB in my desktop and am using Vista x86 because of a TV card incompatibility, and sure, the system control panel shows I have 8GB of RAM. However, the more important number is in the performance tab of the task manager, where it says total physical memory is 3326 MB.

6. feerof

feerof Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a newbie at these things, so does that mean vista doesn't use up all 4 gbs of ram on the computer? it can read it but it doesn't use it? can you elaborate on that?

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

32bit operating systems can't address that much RAM. They can recognize its there but exactly, they can't use it. This is the biggest reason to switch to 64bit, to be able to address the full amount of RAM. (There are performance benefits in some applications, but as far as I'm concerned, that reason is negligible compared to the RAM thing.)

8. Coolpix

Coolpix Pen Pal - Newbie

Among the 3326MB/3.25GB, I believe we actually have to deduct the amount being reserved for Video Card.

9. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep in mind I posted this tip for those who need 4GB of RAM and don't have a 64bit operating system. Like I said before. This is not necessarily a performance boost since it takes a bigger toll from your processor.

The best thing is to upgrade to a 64bit OS. If you need 4GB RAM under a 32bit OS, then this tip helps you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.