How to disable screen orientation hotkeys? (Ctrl-Alt-arrow)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by paulkon, Jan 2, 2009.

1. LvsSocer

LvsSocer Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have any idea how to disable the screen orientation hotkeys on the x61? (Ctrl-Alt-Arrow) I've looked in the BIOS, Keyboard Customizer Utility, and Vista control panel.

Didn't see it in any, and disabling the customizer has no effect.

I ask because the Ctrl-Alt-Arrow keys are far more useful mapped to other functions...

Thanks!

2. nightcom

nightcom Pen Pal - Newbie

Do a CTL + ALT + F12.

This will bring up the Intel control panel. Goto 'Hot Keys' tab and
    uncheck the box 'Enable Hot Keys'.

3. paulkon

paulkon Pen Pal - Newbie

On a related note, does anybody know how to disable the *other* keyboard shortcut for rotating the screen?

On the x200 Tablet on the bottom right of the keyboard are the up/down/left/right arrow keys. just above the left/right arrow keys are "rotate left/rotate right" keys, that rotate the screen when pressed with the control key.

I hit these by mistake sometimes when I just want to do ctrl+left/ctrl+right, and so I want to disable the "rotate left/right" keys.

The Ctrl+F12 allows disabling the Ctrl+Alt+arrow rotation, but not this other one.

Any ideas how to disable it?

thanks,

Paul.

4. jonlumpkin

jonlumpkin Scribbler - Standard Member

Are you talking about the browser back and forward keys (above left and right arrow respectively)??? I have never had these rotate the screen on the x200. However, if you want to disable them you can use the "Lenovo keyboard customizer utility", you can also set a delay before they are activated if you want to maintain functionality but minimize accidents.

5. paulkon

paulkon Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh, now I get it. Yes, it's the browser back and forward keys. When they are used outside of the context of the browser, they just function as "left/right" keys. So when I do Ctrl + [browser back] it looks like Ctrl + left arrow, which rotates the screen left. I do like the ability to quickly rotate the screen, and so I don't want to disable it completely, just in conjunction with the browser forward/back keys.

So I'll see if I can disable those browser keys using the keyboard customizer--thanks for your help.